Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

RB Leipzig (4) 3-0 (0) Tottenham - Tuesday 10th March, 2020

Kick-off 20.00

First Leg score - Tottenham 0-1 RB Leipzig

340?cb=20140624195947     VS     e6df9075f2a3dca8eda72d87d90cf4f6.jpg

Hope Spurs can turn this over and progress.

48 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Hope Spurs can turn this over and progress.

I think that is highly unlikely. Spurs were outplayed at home in the 1st leg and the 1 goal loss was a kind result for them. If it wasn't for Lloris's brilliant saves and some missed chances by Leipzig, the Germans could have at least scored 4 or 5 goals. 

At home, I think we can expect more dominance from Leipzig. Of course this is football and a lot of things are possible, but I can only see another dominant display by Leipzig and another win, this time probably by a larger margin.

8 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think that is highly unlikely. Spurs were outplayed at home in the 1st leg and the 1 goal loss was a kind result for them. If it wasn't for Lloris's brilliant saves and some missed chances by Leipzig, the Germans could have at least scored 4 or 5 goals. 

At home, I think we can expect more dominance from Leipzig. Of course this is football and a lot of things are possible, but I can only see another dominant display by Leipzig and another win, this time probably by a larger margin.

They were at home against Ajax last year too, but given how underwhelming Spurs are by this point I can only see Leipzig going through.

Howitzer (sort of) from Sabitzer. 

Lovely goal by Leipzig, Werner with a lovely set up for Sabitzer and the Austrian let rip with a rocket of a shot that Lloris couldn't keep out.

Leipzig 1-0 Tottenham

Nothing changed with the score 1:0 Leipzig 

spurs still need a win, scoring 2, 2:1 would be fine

24 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

They were at home against Ajax last year too, but given how underwhelming Spurs are by this point I can only see Leipzig going through.

The games against Ajax were both close affairs. Leipzig absolutely bossed Spurs in the first leg and they have predictably taken an early lead hear in the 2nd leg.

Leipzig are a class team and to think that the average age of the team is around 23!

Nearly 2-0 but Werner just offside. 

3 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

Nothing changed with the score 1:0 Leipzig 

spurs still need a win, scoring 2, 2:1 would be fine

That's very true mate, the only problem being is that Leipzig are the much more likely team to get the next goal.

2-0 now! Sabitzer again with a superb header. Lloris couldn't keep it out. 

Not to underestimate Leipzig or anything but Spurs seriously suck xD

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

That's very true mate, the only problem being is that Leipzig are the much more likely team to get the next goal.

Now spurs need 3. Minimum 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

2-0 now! Sabitzer again with a superb header. Lloris couldn't keep it out. 

Leipzig are just on another level, such great football. I knew their class would enable them to dominate this game. The Austrian has been superb.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Leipzig are just on another level, such great football. I knew their class would enable them to dominate this game. The Austrian has been superb.

Spurs severely suffering from injuries though to be fair. Pretty much missing a front line in Bergwijn, Kane and Son. 

4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Not to underestimate Leipzig or anything but Spurs seriously suck xD

That's the usual rhetoric from you, Leipzig are class, but hey, it's impossible for you to ever praise a Bundesliga club.

Just now, Michael said:

That's the usual rhetoric from you, Leipzig are class, but hey, it's impossible for you to ever praise a Bundesliga club.

Did you not notice I said "I don't want to underestimate them"? Leipzig are really good, clearly. Spurs suck though, you cannot deny that either.

Also, I suggested that Armani was better than Lloris once upon a time. Lloris sucks.

1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Also, I suggested that Armani was better than Lloris once upon a time. Lloris sucks.

Sucks sucks sucks, is that your word of the day? You were the guy who said that Spurs would win this tie with ease, of course you were right there as always.;)xD

Edited by Michael

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

Spurs severely suffering from injuries though to be fair. Pretty much missing a front line in Bergwijn, Kane and 

It's true that Kane and Son are absentees, but Spurs were also without Kane and Son for long spells last season, namely in the semi final of the Champions League against Ajax. Their absence didnt stop Spurs reaching the final and Lucas Moura scored a hattrick to get them there.

Leipzig also had regulars out in the first leg, but they still dominated Spurs. I think that the top clubs are those with depth, where they can deal with the absence of 2 or 3 regulars. 

I think that only when teams for example have like 9 or 10 regulars out all at once (like Werder Bremen have had at times this season) do clubs have grounds for an excuse.

This Spurs team is full of seasoned internationals and they are a club competing for a Champions League place in the Premier League, I don't think that they have too many excuses with how they are being outplayed here by Leipzig. Leipzig are just the better side in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Michael said:

It's true that Kane and Son are absentees, but Spurs were also without Kane and Son for long spells last season, namely in the semi final of the Champions League against Ajax. Their absence didnt stop Spurs reaching the final and Lucas Moura scored a hattrick to get them there.

Leipzig also had regulars out in the first leg, but they still dominated Spurs. I think that the top clubs are those with depth, where they can deal with the absence of 2 or 3 regulars. 

I think that only when teams for example have like 9 or 10 regulars out all at once (like Werder Bremen have had at times this season) do clubs have grounds for an excuse.

This Spurs team is full of seasoned internationals and they are a club competing for a Champions League place in the Premier League, I don't think that they have too many excuses with how they are being outplayed here by Leipzig. Leipzig are just the better side in my opinion.

I don't disagree that Leipzig are the better side. Spurs are poor right now and appear to be going through a transition or new direction following Pochettino going. Quite a few players don't seem good enough or are young/inexperienced. This would be a totally different game if Kane and Son were playing. 

Just now, Stan said:

I don't disagree that Leipzig are the better side. Spurs are poor right now and appear to be going through a transition or new direction following Pochettino going. Quite a few players don't seem good enough or are young/inexperienced. This would be a totally different game if Kane and Son were playing. 

I disagree. Kane is useless if his team don't get him in the game and son won't help them defend better or keep the ball, which are areas they're struggling in.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I disagree. Kane is useless if his team don't get him in the game and son won't help them defend better or keep the ball, which are areas they're struggling in.

But they're also struggling going forward? Apart from Lucas they seem to have no attacking threat. They're bound to have more impetus if Son plays and someone reliable if Kane is playing. 

They're relying on 3 attacking midfielders in Alli, Lucas and Lamela to get them goals... 

Just now, Stan said:

I'm not so sure this would be a totally different game if they were playing. Leipzigs midfield has run rings round Spurs midfield in both games, I don't think that would change if those 2 Spurs attackers were playing.

Leipzig have controlled the midfield in both games and their attacking players have given the Spurs defenders endless amounts of headaches.

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

But they're also struggling going forward? Apart from Lucas they seem to have no attacking threat. They're bound to have more impetus if Son plays and someone reliable if Kane is playing. 

They're relying on 3 attacking midfielders in Alli, Lucas and Lamela to get them goals... 

I think it's Lucas Moura who's the main player they have been relying on for goals.

But Alli does have a nose for goal as well, his scoring record speaks for itself.

Just now, Michael said:

I think it's Lucas Moura who's the main player they have been relying on for goals.

That's kinda what I said. They're relying on him for goals and attacking threat... 

9 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think it's pretty clear something's happened to Spurs between the end of last season (arguably before the end of last season, judging by how their league form went to absolute shite while their European run was going) and the beginning of this season. Spurs are clearly a side with a lot of good players, we've seen them perform really well over the last two years - I don't think they've suddenly become shit. And they've also had a ridiculous injury crisis to deal with after their manager change.

But there's something wrong behind the scenes we're not seeing (and even with that Amazon documentary, I'm not sure how much we'll see has gone wrong behind the scenes).

I do think the mentality of players at the top flight is something that is often understated, but it can be what takes a good group of players (which I think Spurs are right now) and makes them into a good team (which I think Spurs used to be, but very clearly they've lost their way this season). And I do wonder if their focus on retaining players and keeping their wage structure fairly tight, rather than focusing on bringing in players to rejuvenate the side (as they've not made all that many transfers this season) has been something that's bit them in the arse a bit. As now they've got a few players that look like they're getting on and maybe cover and competition for places should have been brought in. That's something I know a lot of Spurs fans have complained about with Levy's tenure as they try to turn the corner - that they feel he's been content to keep Spurs challenging for the top 4 rather than kick on and actually turn that corner; and in a season where something goes wrong behind the scenes they think not rejuvenating the side may be what's been their downfall this season.

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Tbf, they're struggling all over the pitch.

Just now, Michael said:

He's not really been in great form as of late either.

Honestly, no idea what the fuck has gone wrong at Spurs between last season and this season. It's pretty interesting and I'm actually really interested to see if the Amazon "All or Nothing" will bring anything to light... or if it'll just keep on that stereotype of "Lads, it's Tottenham" going.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stan said:

That's kinda what I said. They're relying on him for goals and attacking threat... 

Yes mate, that's true.

Obviously extremely difficult for Spurs without Kane and Son, but RB outdid Tottenham in every category. Even low table Buli teams can interrupt RB's flow better than Tottenham.

• Upvote 1