talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

RB Leipzig (4) 3-0 (0) Tottenham - Tuesday 10th March, 2020

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

But they're also struggling going forward? Apart from Lucas they seem to have no attacking threat. They're bound to have more impetus if Son plays and someone reliable if Kane is playing. 

They're relying on 3 attacking midfielders in Alli, Lucas and Lamela to get them goals... 

I think it's Lucas Moura who's the main player they have been relying on for goals.

But Alli does have a nose for goal as well, his scoring record speaks for itself.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Michael said:

I think it's Lucas Moura who's the main player they have been relying on for goals.

That's kinda what I said. They're relying on him for goals and attacking threat... 

9 minutes ago, Michael said:

It's true that Kane and Son are absentees, but Spurs were also without Kane and Son for long spells last season, namely in the semi final of the Champions League against Ajax. Their absence didnt stop Spurs reaching the final and Lucas Moura scored a hattrick to get them there.

Leipzig also had regulars out in the first leg, but they still dominated Spurs. I think that the top clubs are those with depth, where they can deal with the absence of 2 or 3 regulars. 

I think that only when teams for example have like 9 or 10 regulars out all at once (like Werder Bremen have had at times this season) do clubs have grounds for an excuse.

This Spurs team is full of seasoned internationals and they are a club competing for a Champions League place in the Premier League, I don't think that they have too many excuses with how they are being outplayed here by Leipzig. Leipzig are just the better side in my opinion.

I think it's pretty clear something's happened to Spurs between the end of last season (arguably before the end of last season, judging by how their league form went to absolute shite while their European run was going) and the beginning of this season. Spurs are clearly a side with a lot of good players, we've seen them perform really well over the last two years - I don't think they've suddenly become shit. And they've also had a ridiculous injury crisis to deal with after their manager change.

But there's something wrong behind the scenes we're not seeing (and even with that Amazon documentary, I'm not sure how much we'll see has gone wrong behind the scenes).

I do think the mentality of players at the top flight is something that is often understated, but it can be what takes a good group of players (which I think Spurs are right now) and makes them into a good team (which I think Spurs used to be, but very clearly they've lost their way this season). And I do wonder if their focus on retaining players and keeping their wage structure fairly tight, rather than focusing on bringing in players to rejuvenate the side (as they've not made all that many transfers this season) has been something that's bit them in the arse a bit. As now they've got a few players that look like they're getting on and maybe cover and competition for places should have been brought in. That's something I know a lot of Spurs fans have complained about with Levy's tenure as they try to turn the corner - that they feel he's been content to keep Spurs challenging for the top 4 rather than kick on and actually turn that corner; and in a season where something goes wrong behind the scenes they think not rejuvenating the side may be what's been their downfall this season.

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I disagree. Kane is useless if his team don't get him in the game and son won't help them defend better or keep the ball, which are areas they're struggling in.

Tbf, they're struggling all over the pitch.

Just now, Michael said:

He's not really been in great form as of late either.

Honestly, no idea what the fuck has gone wrong at Spurs between last season and this season. It's pretty interesting and I'm actually really interested to see if the Amazon "All or Nothing" will bring anything to light... or if it'll just keep on that stereotype of "Lads, it's Tottenham" going.

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it's pretty clear something's happened to Spurs between the end of last season (arguably before the end of last season, judging by how their league form went to absolute shite while their European run was going) and the beginning of this season. Spurs are clearly a side with a lot of good players, we've seen them perform really well over the last two years - I don't think they've suddenly become shit. And they've also had a ridiculous injury crisis to deal with after their manager change.

But there's something wrong behind the scenes we're not seeing (and even with that Amazon documentary, I'm not sure how much we'll see has gone wrong behind the scenes).

I do think the mentality of players at the top flight is something that is often understated, but it can be what takes a good group of players (which I think Spurs are right now) and makes them into a good team (which I think Spurs used to be, but very clearly they've lost their way this season). And I do wonder if their focus on retaining players and keeping their wage structure fairly tight, rather than focusing on bringing in players to rejuvenate the side (as they've not made all that many transfers this season) has been something that's bit them in the arse a bit. As now they've got a few players that look like they're getting on and maybe cover and competition for places should have been brought in. That's something I know a lot of Spurs fans have complained about with Levy's tenure as they try to turn the corner - that they feel he's been content to keep Spurs challenging for the top 4 rather than kick on and actually turn that corner; and in a season where something goes wrong behind the scenes they think not rejuvenating the side may be what's been their downfall this season.

Tbf, they're struggling all over the pitch.

He's not really been in great form as of late either.

Honestly, no idea what the fuck has gone wrong at Spurs between last season and this season. It's pretty interesting and I'm actually really interested to see if the Amazon "All or Nothing" will bring anything to light... or if it'll just keep on that stereotype of "Lads, it's Tottenham" going.

Exactly, Spurs have not become shit over night, last season's Champions League finalist players, didnt become duds this season, it's only fickle fans who would suggest something like that. Just because they are not having as much success as they brilliantly had last season, doesn't negate the fact that they are still a team with some quality players, who are competing for a top 4 position.

I don't think that it's easy for clubs like Spurs to maintain an elite standard of football as we saw from them in the Champions League at times last season. Clubs like Man City can go out and spend 90 million on a player if they see a problem starting to appear in the team, that's not the case with Spurs.

You are right that Moura can be inconsistent form-wise, but then again, I think I have seen plenty of games where Kane wasn't playing to his potential. 

As for aiming for a top 4 rather than winning the League, well football is a business, being in the top 4 reaps a hell of a lot of money. Actually winning the League, usually entails having to spend 80, 90 or 100 million pounds on players like City, which has it's risks. Spurs seem to prefer to play it more safe.

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Jenas is such a prick xD

Forsberg makes it 3-0.

Jenas can be annoying.

Leipzig score the 3rd and complete a convincing victory.

I don't think that many sides will want to play this young Leipzig side in the next round, despite the fact that they are essentially newbies in this competition. Their pressing game and the calibre of football that they are playing will be a handful for any team. Schick and Werner seem to have also formed an excellent attacking partnership.

56 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I disagree. Kane is useless if his team don't get him in the game and son won't help them defend better or keep the ball, which are areas they're struggling in.

I have to agree with your assessment. Spurs's midfield and defence were absolutely overrun for long spells by Leipzig in both legs. Kane and Son wouldn't have been able to do much more than Moura in preventing Leipzig's domination in those areas.

Just now, CityTheBest said:

What's happened to magic Mourinho? More magic in a wet weekend in Blackpool these days. The guy thinks he's the greatest manager in history.

He still thinks that he is the chosen one. You have to love his modesty.xD

24 minutes ago, Michael said:

Exactly, Spurs have not become shit over night, last season's Champions League finalist players, didnt become duds this season, it's only fickle fans who would suggest something like that. Just because they are not having as much success as they brilliantly had last season, doesn't negate the fact that they are still a team with some quality players, who are competing for a top 4 position.

I don't think that it's easy for clubs like Spurs to maintain an elite standard of football as we saw from them in the Champions League at times last season. Clubs like Man City can go out and spend 90 million on a player if they see a problem starting to appear in the team, that's not the case with Spurs.

You are right that Moura can be inconsistent form-wise, but then again, I think I have seen plenty of games where Kane wasn't playing to his potential. 

As for aiming for a top 4 rather than winning the League, well football is a business, being in the top 4 reaps a hell of a lot of money. Actually winning the League, usually entails having to spend 80, 90 or 100 million pounds on players like City, which has it's risks. Spurs seem to prefer to play it more safe.

I agree with everything you've said. Weirdly though, after our big spending last year... we seem to have sort of followed in Spurs' footsteps. It's worked out a bit different for us (in the league at least). But the season before, we spent really big (and the season before that, but the same year in January we made the really expensive VVD signing) - so that's one thing we've done a bit differently in our long term planning than at Spurs.

I totally agree, that top 4 makes a lot of money and it makes sense for clubs like Spurs that don't have the endless resources of say the Manchester clubs, or other oil clubs like Chelsea and PSG, to play it safe. But from the fans perspective, all fans want to see their club get gradually more and more ambitious. I think Spurs fans have seen that happen over the past few seasons, especially with Poch. I think why some are so frustrated is because they've tried to turn the corner and it's just gone all wrong for them - it's tough too when you've got a big signing like Ndombele, who's clearly a good player - at least some of the time, but he's got an attitude where you have to question whether he'll make it in a league like England (given his quote about how he doesn't like to chase after the ball against "weak" sides - I don't think you can really have that attitude in England anymore. The money in the league has meant the midtable is much more competitive - those "lesser sides" like Burnley, Wolves and Sheffield United still require 100% effort if you want 3 points.

It's tough for Spurs fans right now, which is a shame because they've got a load of good people like our very own @Storts that have been desperate to see more success. And after the heights of their European cup run last season, this season's just got to be so fucking miserable for them. They're one of the few clubs in England I wouldn't be a bit jealous if they got to enjoy some success - along with Newcastle, Leeds and Forest.

23 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Is Mourinho's job at risk before or at the end of the season?

Say what you want about him, for me it's a real shame how he doesn't really seem to be a force in football management anymore. 

I would hope it wouldn't be, even though I've never really been a big Mourinho fan (and I think my posts on here have made that clear). He came into Spurs when they were an absolute mess. We really don't know what's happened behind the scenes with Spurs - and we may never know - but I think he should be given a chance to show he can improve them after being given a full summer.

In Spurs' match against us with Mourinho in charge... I thought they'd pretty massively improved from the last time we'd played them. Since then, they've suffered a number of key injuries. And their big signing from the summer is something of a flop so far, which makes kicking on from last season a bit harder for them as well.

He's never really faced a challenge like this Spurs job before. Since Porto (and tbh, you've always got to expect Porto to be a force, or be on the cusp of being a force, in Portugal) he's mostly gone to clubs where he's had very good sides set up for him (except at United) and where he was at the club that had the most resources in the league at the time (Chelsea and Inter, after the rest of Serie A was castrated by calciopoli - even though I'm fairly certain Inter also cheated) or was in the top 2 of resources in the league (United, Real Madrid).

It's a big task for him and ultimately he might not be the right man for the job (when he was at United, I did say numerous times he's more of a manager you hire to turn that final corner than to build a side up that's ready to turn the corner)… but right now he's walked into a club that's in turmoil. And subsequently, he's had more injuries to contend with. Seems like it would be ridiculously harsh if he was facing the sack based off what's happened with Spurs this season.

• Subscriber

If Mourinho doesn't do anything there next season, and I'd say that's quite likely to be the case, then I think he's genuinely finished at any decent level.

Got to be totally frank, couldn't see Spurs winning that two legged tie even with Kane and Son.

They might have scored home amd away bit I still think there was enough seen to suggest they would have been defensively sliced apart.

Just haven't had the same bite in midfield since Dembele IMO.

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

89728094_3645171318889377_10961097345046

The balder the head, the bigger the fraud.

1186750728.jpg.0.jpg

zinedine-zidane-real-madrid-2019-20_10zt

2g735ep0by941.jpg

1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Think he should return to manage in Portugal, his level now.

Is Portugese football really that much worse on a tactical level or is it the players that are making the difference?

• The title was changed to RB Leipzig (4) 3-0 (0) Tottenham - Tuesday 10th March, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned
1 hour ago, God is Haaland said:

The balder the head, the bigger the fraud.

1186750728.jpg.0.jpg

zinedine-zidane-real-madrid-2019-20_10zt

2g735ep0by941.jpg

Is Portugese football really that much worse on a tactical level or is it the players that are making the difference?

Not really, but less competition in the league surely. In England you have 10+ from great to good clubs in Portugal you have three or four at best.

Archived