talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Europa League - Round of 16 (1st Legs) - Thursday 12th March, 2020

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stan said:

Too much quality in the Utd side. LASK are being overwhelmed. 

And Utd have look really good as of late, and @nudge said that LASK lost a lot of talent, so not really shocking. 

Ah, the Turkish side get a PK. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Too much quality in the Utd side. LASK are being overwhelmed. 

Understandably so; and LASK are missing four of their key players too. Hoped they'd be able to do better but this is definitely not surprising...

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

The Man U score doesn't surprise me much, but that Frankfurt one does. 

This Copenhagen match is an absolute nightmare to watch. Both sides really suck tonight. 

Frankfurt have dominated the possession and they have the majority of chances, but our defending has been naive at times.

Hinteregger gave away an unnecessary free-kick near to goal and Basel scored an unstoppable goal from the resulting free-kick. Then we were caught out on the break with goals 2 and 3 for Basel. Abraham has had a bit of a nightmare of a game today, poor challenges and bad passing on several occasions by him.

To be honest, I cant take too much away from Basel, even though we have essentially dominated most of this game, because Basel have been very clinical with their chances. I can see why Basel have been so good against sides like APOEL, Getafe, Krasnodar and Trabzonspor in the Europa League this season, they are a very clinical side.

Well, I guess we are going out of the Europa League. I know there's the 2nd leg to be played, but I don't see us scoring 3 away against this very well organised and efficient Basel team, its a big ask for us. 

I think that conceding that first goal was a critical point in the match. After that we were chasing the game. We created the majority of chances, but just failed to score. While Hutter bringing on Paciencia for Sow in the 2nd half, left our midfield a little light, with only Rode as a real central midfielder. We created chances, but Basel were clinical with the few chances they had in the 2nd half, they looked a very compact and confident side. They were generally good at both ends to be fair. 

It's disappointing losing today, but Basel are a very good outfit and set-up very well formation wise. They are a tough nut to play against, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Well, I guess we are going out of the Europa League. I know there's the 2nd leg to be played, but I don't see us scoring 3 away against this very well organised and efficient Basel team, its a big ask for us. 

I think that conceding that first goal was a critical point in the match. After that we were chasing the game. We created the majority of chances, but just failed to score. While Hutter bringing on Paciencia for Sow in the 2nd half, left our midfield a little light, with only Rode as a real central midfielder. We created chances, but Basel were clinical with the few chances they had in the 2nd half, they looked a very compact and confident side. They were generally good at both ends to be fair. 

It's disappointing losing today, but Basel are a very good outfit and set-up very well formation wise. They are a tough nut to play against, that's for sure.

The game will be played in Frankfurt, same prossedure as today. Still hard to stage a comeback in the quiet of the epidemic. https://www.kicker.de/772095/artikel/eintracht_gegen_basel_auch_das_achtelfinal_rueckspiel_in_frankfurt

2 minutes ago, Relling said:

The game will be played in Frankfurt, same prossedure as today. Still hard to stage a comeback in the quiet of the epidemic. https://www.kicker.de/772095/artikel/eintracht_gegen_basel_auch_das_achtelfinal_rueckspiel_in_frankfurt

Interesting, I didn't realise that. But yes, its not the same in an empty stadium. Coming back from that deficit is a big ask against a solid side like Basel.

Wolfsburg will be up against it against a very strong Shakhtar side. I went to watch Wolfsburg against Oleksandriya of Ukraine earlier in the season and it was a close game. Shakhtar though are on another level compared to Oleksandriya, so Wolfsburg will really have to up their game if they want to get past the rich Ukrainian side.

Goal from Shakhtar Donetsk!

The Ukrainians take the lead through Moraes, as he headed the ball past Casteels to give Shakhtar the lead.

The ball fell nicely for Moraes after Brooks blocked a Shakhtar cross, but Moraes did well to head past Casteels and take the chance.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived