talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Number of English Players Abroad

football forum

Some football page did studies on the matter. This one might be worth sharing.

eb8cbc61c01f65db7d419fbfdc3e6be0.png

Apparently England is the 5th largest exporter in talent, but most of it in Wales and Scotland! Does that really count since its still UK?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

They are seperate leagues and so of course it counts.

In Wales' case I think they also count the clubs in the English leagues. Swansea, Cardiff, Newport County etc. although I could be wrong on this.

Either way it doesn't surprise me that the abroad is based in UK/Ireland. USA's number was surprising at first but then I thought about it and it really isn't.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

In Wales' case I think they also count the clubs in the English leagues. Swansea, Cardiff, Newport County etc. although I could be wrong on this.

Either way it doesn't surprise me that the abroad is based in UK/Ireland. USA's number was surprising at first but then I thought about it and it really isn't.

but there is also a Welsh league. so maybe English players go and play for teams in the Welsh League or Scottish League?

1 hour ago, Stan said:

but there is also a Welsh league. so maybe English players go and play for teams in the Welsh League or Scottish League?

They do, or at least, they did. A few of the North Wales based Welsh Premier League sides did have a large number of players from Merseyside and Manchester. 

You also get quite a few English players in the SPL too, at a range of clubs including Celtic. 

Soccerway has a list of English players playing abroad, for those of you interested. 

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/players_abroad/england/

Of course, some of these players are over there on loan, such as Lewis Baker at Vitesse or Andre Wisdom at RB Salzburg. 

And then there are the random players you’ve never heard of who have crafted a semi-successful career for themselves abroad, such as this guy:5916e816b986d_Screenshot2017-05-13at12_00_39.thumb.png.09e5a3ec7338d81aebe4b145613dacab.png

• Subscriber
On 5/10/2017 at 5:48 PM, Spike said:

They are seperate leagues and so of course it counts.

It does count but Wales is always going to have loads, especially when you consider the team who dominate Welsh football are actually in England.

• Subscriber
On 5/10/2017 at 5:54 PM, LaSambadeStGermain said:

I'd be amazed if they did. That would be daft.

I think there's a case for not having a Welsh league at all and just having all of their clubs play in the English system to be honest. How can Cardiff & Swansea do it but others can't?

Berwick Rangers are an interesting case as well. Another one that's in England but it's so far north it benefits them playing in Scotland. Would cost a club like that a bit of money to get around.

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

Berwick Rangers are an interesting case as well. Another one that's in England but it's so far north it benefits them playing in Scotland. Would cost a club like that a bit of money to get around.

If the government actually funded a dual carriageway from Berwick to Newcastle like the locals have been asking for for decades then it would make more sense for Berwick to play in the Northern league's in England and they could become a bigger richer club as a result.

The Scottish side of the border from Berwick to Edinburgh is all dual carriageway. That is one of the benefits of devolving power. 

I remember George Osborne standing in a lay-by promising funds to try and win the seat for the Tory's in the 2015 election. It worked, the locals voted for the Conservative candidate for the first time since 1970.

JS41240154.jpg

Archived