talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Idea for Change in PKs

football forum

Was just thinking about how interesting it would be to have PK's taken by the person that was fouled. If you have a handball then the attacking team can choose the PK taker, but if it's a foul against an attacker in the box, I'd like to see them implement a rule making that guy the person who has to take the PK. 

Thoughts? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Eco said:

Was just thinking about how interesting it would be to have PK's taken by the person that was fouled. If you have a handball then the attacking team can choose the PK taker, but if it's a foul against an attacker in the box, I'd like to see them implement a rule making that guy the person who has to take the PK. 

Thoughts? 

Wouldn't oppose it. Would make teams look for players who are good at taking them, and those that are indeed good at them will have their value go up and perhaps there would be a change at starting XIs taking that into account.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Eco said:

Thoughts? 

I think its a good idea honestly as most times its not the person getting fouled who takes the penalty. As an offshoot to this you'd probably see the best penalty takers try to take on defenders and draw fouls more as well. 

Also, the person getting fouled may fake an injury to force the team to pick the best penalty taker too?

I can just imagine the look on Lee (1 pen) face reading this suggestion.

For those unfamiliar on who that is... That be Francis Lee, former Manchester City and England forward who made his living from Diving, gaining penalties, before bouncing off the ground to gather the ball and stick it away for another cheated goal. One of the very best spot kick performers I can remember.

I wonder if he and Norman (bites your legs) Hunter have made up yet?

• Subscriber

Completely disagree with the idea. The point of a penalty is to reward the attacking team with a relatively easy goal scoring opportunity after they've been denied one and to punish the defending team that committed the foul or otherwise played unfairly. Why make it easier on the team that broke the rules by potentially forcing their opponents to have someone who isn't very good at penalties take it? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Also it would just lead to faking injuries in order to get the "designated" penalty taker to do it anyway.

3 hours ago, nudge said:

Completely disagree with the idea. The point of a penalty is to reward the attacking team with a relatively easy goal scoring opportunity after they've been denied one and to punish the defending team that committed the foul or otherwise played unfairly. Why make it easier on the team that broke the rules by potentially forcing their opponents to have someone who isn't very good at penalties take it? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Also it would just lead to faking injuries in order to get the "designated" penalty taker to do it anyway.

Yeah that's how I feel too.

Archived