• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Pioli Extends Deal at Milan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Why do they say the role of English manager?

I believe it's because the tweet translated the German article from BILD. Instead of having one person in charge (a manager) like you do in England, there's usually two people performing that role in German clubs - a  head coach (who is responsible for training, tactics, taking care of the squad, etc.) and a sporting director (who is responsible for transfers, hiring people, contract renewals, etc). Therefore BILD implies that Rangnick's role at Milan would be that of the manager as it's understood in England (i.e. both roles united into one person) instead of the German model. 

9 minutes ago, nudge said:

I believe it's because the tweet translated the German article from BILD. Instead of having one person in charge (a manager) like you do in England, there's usually two people performing that role in German clubs - a  head coach (who is responsible for training, tactics, taking care of the squad, etc.) and a sporting director (who is responsible for transfers, hiring people, contract renewals, etc). Therefore BILD implies that Rangnick's role at Milan would be that of the manager as it's understood in England (i.e. both roles united into one person) instead of the German model. 

Tbh, even in England we're seeing a pretty big transition away from the manager doing everything and spreading the responsibility around to Sporting Directors (or Directors of Football - same thing, really). Honestly, after seeing our club move first from the traditional method of managing, to having our famously failed "transfer committee," to actually having a set Director of Football... it makes more sense to me to have a Director of Football looking over the long-term vision of a club, while the manager handles more of the day to day.

Having said that, I think Rangnick's a good manager, with a pretty good track record of building clubs up. And I'm pretty certain right now he's Director of Development for Red Bull clubs - so he's got experience both as a manager and as someone to look after the long term vision of a club. I think Milan's a quality project for him; they're European royalty that's had a rough patch while many of their traditional rivals have enjoyed success and had a good laugh at how shit they've become.

I've got a pretty big soft spot for Milan, when I was a kid they were easily my favourite team that wasn't Liverpool - I remember watching Serie A with my dad, brother, sometimes uncles and cousins... everyone loved Milan. And then that soft spot got even softer when I was at uni and my roommate one year (in 2007 actually, so we watched the final together - and he was happy and I was gutted by the end of it, although he did shit himself when we pulled one back xD) who was a genuine Milanista from Milan. Rangnick's been someone he'd been hoping was coming to the club basically since it was first rumoured a few months ago.

So I hope he does really well at Milan.

Rangnick´s credentials are really good and it seems a good choice. But at the same time, it feels kinda wrong to distance legends like Maldini and Boban from the club. 

I get it that there are probably more qualified people, but still, football is not just business, it´s more than that.

11 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Rangnick´s credentials are really good and it seems a good choice. But at the same time, it feels kinda wrong to distance legends like Maldini and Boban from the club. 

I get it that there are probably more qualified people, but still, football is not just business, it´s more than that.

Maldini is vastly out of touch with reality. When speaking about Rangnick he said “In all honesty, as director of sport, with all due respect, I don’t think he is the right profile for a club like ours.”

Which is true. Leipzig are in the Champions League Quarter Finals, and in the title race in Germany. Meanwhile, Milan have been irrelevant for a decade. It would be a huge step down...

17 hours ago, El Profesor said:

But at the same time, it feels kinda wrong to distance legends like Maldini and Boban from the club. 

While football is more than just a sport and a business, and the connections fans have with the legends that have performed heroics for them on the pitch is something massive and special... there's sometimes a case of too much sentimentality at a football club. Look at how Milan with Maldini now - it's nowhere near where you'd expect Milan to be. Souness is arguably our greatest midfield player ever and rightly a Liverpool legend - his time as manager is probably the biggest reason why we've not won a title in 30 years though as he set us back so far and we ever really recovered from being set back so many years and always having to play catchup... until this season (well until this fucking virus turned up).

Being a legend doesn't mean you should keep your job if you've something that holds the club that loves you back.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Milan fans booed him on his last game.

Milan Ultras don't really like Maldini, weirdly. But the Ultras aren't really representative of all Milan fans, even if they're the most vocal matchgoing fans.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Milan Ultras don't really like Maldini, weirdly. But the Ultras aren't really representative of all Milan fans, even if they're the most vocal matchgoing fans.

Doesn't mean my statement is wrong.

40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah it's not wrong, he definitely was booed on his last match. He's been booed at a lot of big moments in his career by Milan ultras though.

He has a big mouth from what I recall.

We have some  great memories of his time with 04.  He finally left after complaining of tiredness due to work load, but there have been many seasons since then and none has given us anything near the successes he achieved.  I met him on a few occasions but always felt unable to comment on anything other than the weather as he was - and probably still is - a very determined and positive person - not to be messed with and given the proper support from the men upstairs he will probably succeed in bringing silverware back to the club!

Whatever your thoughts about him my advice would be simple - do not underestimate him!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At least now Milan will be under the stewardship of one man rather than the countless number of different directors and all seeming to pull in a different direction.

The days of spending alongside other top European teams appears to be over, at least for the time being, and his track record shows he can build / rebuild an entire club through youth development and low cost signings.

• 2 weeks later...

Pioli signs a new contract until 2022. I highly doubt he'll make it that far.

A few weeks of good results doesn't mean you completely rip up the bigger picture for the club. This is tremendously short sighted.

Archived