talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are You Scared/Worried About Coronavirus?

football forum

• Subscriber
On 17/03/2020 at 09:50, Stan said:

Agree a lot with the middle paragraph.

MH services are already under huge pressure, let alone the people that use and heavily rely on those services and not by choice either. Sometimes that's their only escape going to those support centres, going to groups, feeling safe with other vulnerable users. Take that away and it will affect them hugely. I think @Dan is right in that we could see a spike in suicide or at least those kind of helplines (Salvation Army for example) being used. Sometimes being lonely and only in their own company can literally be the worst thing for them. I really do sympathise with those in that situation. Social interaction, even just going out in to town for half an hour or escaping out of home is key for mental wellbeing for any sane person anyway, let alone for someone who suffers from various MH issues.

It got me thinking about kids or partners who suffer from DV/domestic abuse. They have no escape or will now find it harder to flee. Again, it's difficult enough at the best of times let alone potentially being isolated with that friend/family member in your own home where sometimes people feel the least secure or safe. 

Personally, I'm quite fortunate that my job is based from home anyway. I've had best part of 2.5 years working from home and being able to visit people where necessary and manage my own time. When you're in an office working from home can be seen as a luxury but doing it for long-term can be feel quite lonely and be quite isolating. I'm lucky that I'm all set up properly here with everything I need but people being told to WFH with no prior arrangements - as I'm sure many businesses are in that kind of place/situation now - will be difficult to manage for some. Managing time is key and making sure you take regular breaks. Being disciplined. These are all things you get used to over time but being asked to do it almost immediately will be challenging. And again it comes back to MH as well, making sure you don't drive yourself crazy working because of pressures etc. 

And that's all before even mentioning having to juggle family life if in that position too! Not me as I'm in a good position with no kids and only living with parents at the moment. But I can't imagine what it will be like for a parent of X amount of kids being pretty much immediately thrown in to that position needing to work and look after kids etc...

I agree that it's all a bit shit. I don't suffer from depression (in my opinion) but I have had times when I've felt down over things and when you're at home on your own this can just magnify those issues - often a distraction helps even if you don't feel up to doing anything at the time.

All going to be a bit shit. The gutting thing really is that all motivation has evaporated. I work now thinking what on earth am I even doing this for? It's like a self-imposed live to work. I'll come through it but I know there are plenty who are going to really struggle this next few weeks/months. Will be a big test for a lot of people's resilience.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Heavy breathing this morning but at least things haven't got worse. Should be alright but will lock away as much as possible and closely monitor the gf who started coughing yesterday.

Happy to help monitor her as well mate.

• Subscriber

Our second eldest grandson (13) was sent home from school yesterday because he was coughing in the classroom, our son said he will keep him away from here and make sure he is ok before he visits again, not sure if the grandson was playing a crafty one though and coughing knowing they would send him home from school, I will leave that one for our son to find out. xD  

Hope it's nothing Harv.

Today, a lass at work said she wasn't feeling well. A colleague of her boyfriend came back from Italy a while ago, so the colleague and everyone of his company went into quarantine. However, she kept contact with her boyfriend, instead of letting him isolated. People at our work asked her to test her temperature and she had 36.ºC, so it was kind of a relief.

I'm worried about the health aspect, but also the economic part of it. Today we were told that our schedule for next week will be the same as of lately (for me, 09h30 to 16h30), but if things keep getting slower in terms of activity, people will be invited to take vacations. 

Not as bad as other places though, where people are getting laid off already.

I’m not worried or scared about getting the virus, I’m healthy and have no underlying conditions. My worry is having the virus, having no symptoms, carrying on my daily life and passing it on to someone, though how I’d ever know that, I don’t know. 

I’m also worried about humans. We’re fucking stupid. Like really stupid. We peddle rumour as fact and believe everything we see on social media or speculative articles in the papers that say “could” and “may” and believe them like they’re gospel. 

8 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m not worried or scared about getting the virus, I’m healthy and have no underlying conditions. My worry is having the virus, having no symptoms, carrying on my daily life and passing it on to someone, though how I’d ever know that, I don’t know. 

There's another issue to add that they're not talking about much. Some healthy young people are being hospitalised in Italy. Though the mortality rate for them is very low they take up beds which causes the health care collapse.

Young people don't care about the elderly. They read that the mortality rate for the young is very low, so they don't do any of the strictly advised. Think overall the elderly will be the heavily affected plus the people that have respiratory illness. 

On 19/03/2020 at 01:52, Harvsky said:

I have had a cold for 3 days, sore throat, stuffy nose, it's now a dry wheezing breathless cough.

NHS website says don't bother getting in touch until you're worse. Not sure what to do. Guess nothing I can do.

I've been in that same situation for the past week too mate. Felt something hit me pretty hard on Sunday, was getting worse each day through to Wednesday by which point I was definitely worried. Had started being super paranoid around the kids and wife, cleaning every surface, terrified I was going to pass it on. Told my parents not to look after the kids in case they'd been infected but were in that 5 day assymptomatic period. Unfortunately the only way I'd get a test is if I claimed I'd just flown in from Wuhan. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I've been in that same situation for the past week too mate. Felt something hit me pretty hard on Sunday, was getting worse each day through to Wednesday by which point I was definitely worried. Had started being super paranoid around the kids and wife, cleaning every surface, terrified I was going to pass it on. Told my parents not to look after the kids in case they'd been infected but were in that 5 day assymptomatic period. Unfortunately the only way I'd get a test is if I claimed I'd just flown in from Wuhan. 

Annoying isn't it.

We are quarantined now after answering NHS 111 questions.

I've had a persistent dry cough for 3 days. Fortunately I have an inhaler for the hayfever season so I used that last night to make the chest pains and mild breathing difficulties go away.

I'm definitely getting better today but going to have to wait in isolation for however many weeks it is before the test kits are out to see who is immune.

Told today that Im not to return to work until April 3rd. That will mean ill have been off work 16 days by the time I return...if theres anything to return to by then that is.

Another 14 days off work...my dick is gonna be red raw.

My work schedule has been changed. I have to go to work only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Only 25% staff will be allowed at any given time in the bank. I will have to handle multiple departments. All the other private offices have been closed here, but banks will function. I understand the reason behind it.

Wife has been told to work from home. I am very thankful of that.

On a side note, I had a minor sore throat yesterday. Was scared shitless. Drank warm milk with turmeric, ate several pills of Strepsils and only drank warm water. Thankfully throat is alright today.

My OCD has gone into overdrive, however.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

My work schedule has been changed. I have to go to work only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Only 25% staff will be allowed at any given time in the bank. I will have to handle multiple departments. All the other private offices have been closed here, but banks will function. I understand the reason behind it.

On a side note, I had a minor sore throat yesterday. Was scared shitless. Drank warm milk with turmeric, ate several pills of Strepsils and only drank warm water. Thankfully throat is alright today.

!!!! 

@Bluewolf

:ph34r:

7 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Our lot are the same, Office staff all working from home all but a handful of people, my boss was even sent home yesterday because he had a sniffle... he said he felt fine but they insisted. My youngest daughter is working from home as well now, so we had to make her an office just so she can do her job.. Thinking about asking work for rates to pay for it... 

I tell you it's getting to be a dog eat dog world out there on the streets these days.. got to grab what you can when you can that's my plan. I was on the way home yesterday evening when there was an old woman walking in front of me pulling one of them old people trollies behind her and I could see a 4 pack of Andrex toilet tissue sticking out of her basket so I thought I'm having them.. I sped up a bit to catch up to her, flipped my hoodie over and made a grab for the rolls and then gave her a shove into the road just to distract her while I made my getaway...

Anyway as I was jogging off I was glancing back and the old bird had picked herself up out the road and began to give chase, I was probably laughing to myself as I tucked the rolls inside of my jacket thinking that old biddy would never catch old lightning Joe like.. anyway, I confess I was shocked at how fit the old bag was and that she was already on me by the first corner, she managed to wrestle me down into the flower bed and we were  thrashing about in the mud and what not and I was kicking and punching like fuck trying to get away. The toilet rolls were getting squashed and I was starting to run out of breath then 2 people passing by decided to stop and get their phones out and start recording the whole ordeal... I tell you people are proper cunts, there I was screaming and pleading for help and they just carried on filming the whole thing... no one gave a shit.. 

Anyway, I toughed it out as long as I could but in the end I had to give the rolls back.. I will never judge a book by it's cover again.. My Mum was waaaaayyy stronger than I was expecting, and I totally underestimated her in that situation.... 

13 hours ago, Rick said:

Told today that Im not to return to work until April 3rd. That will mean ill have been off work 16 days by the time I return...if theres anything to return to by then that is.

Another 14 days off work...my dick is gonna be red raw.

Something I forgot to mention is that the company I work for (WHSmith) put out a letter to all staff saying that they were going to position themselves as an essential retailer to the government. Im not joking when I say that their reasons were "to provide students with essential stationary and supplies & to offer people games and puzzles that will be important for their quarantine". I wish I was joking with that sentence, but it pretty much said that word for word. Ridiculous.

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Rick said:

Something I forgot to mention is that the company I work for (WHSmith) put out a letter to all staff saying that they were going to position themselves as an essential retailer to the government. Im not joking when I say that their reasons were "to provide students with essential stationary and supplies & to offer people games and puzzles that will be important for their quarantine". I wish I was joking with that sentence, but it pretty much said that word for word. Ridiculous.

To be fair I bet kids will be wanting a lot of stuff and parents would see WHS as an option to get this from? They'll have to keep them entertained in some part given it might be weeks/months! 

Whether it's 'essential' I'm not so sure xD

50 minutes ago, Stan said:

To be fair I bet kids will be wanting a lot of stuff and parents would see WHS as an option to get this from? They'll have to keep them entertained in some part given it might be weeks/months! 

Whether it's 'essential' I'm not so sure xD

I'm not risking my life so some prick can buy scrabble

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Rick said:

I'm not risking my life so some prick can buy scrabble

Pathetic. The country needs you and you do a runner. 

:ph34r:

Right forefinger covered with two big, dry patches, couple on other fingers. Left palm has two and one on the left thumb. All due to continuous washing of hands.

I have been banned from kitchen, because I went to wash my cup before tea, and ended up cleaning it for 10 whole minutes under tap. Don't want to go near the windows or the door. I am slowly going mad.

1 minute ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Right forefinger covered with two big, dry patches, couple on other fingers. Left palm has two and one on the left thumb. All due to continuous washing of hands.

I have been banned from kitchen, because I went to wash my cup before tea, and ended up cleaning it for 10 whole minutes under tap. Don't want to go near the windows or the door. I am slowly going mad.

What are you washing your hands with?

Archived