talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are You Scared/Worried About Coronavirus?

football forum

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naw, went to a gig on Sunday night with 11000 other people.

Live life. You could walk outside your house tomorrow and get hit by a car. Shit happens.

Edit: 30/3/20 - I realise people may refer back to this post although I've since realised that I was being an idiot. The realisation that this is serious hit me not long after this post. I'm now following the government's guidelines and doing everything I can to not catch it and/or spread it.

Think the panic is bigger than it should be, and the World didn't deal with this issue in a proper manner. Especially China from which it originated, as many sources claim they knew about it before it spread all over China and now Europe. I am personally not afraid but i do not think it should be taken lightly. It is a serious world problem, and could potentially degrade already weak economies of certain countries. Hopefully the crisis will soon be ending and we can all move on.

• Administrator

I wasn't, but seeing it get closer to Europe and then almost obliterating Italy to the point the whole country is on lockdown has made me quite cautious and apprehensive. Then you hear stories about the Forest owner having it and who he would have come in to contact with. 

I worry for elderly members of family/friends.  

I despair for the selfish people who stockpiled the loo roll and other supermarket items leaving others to suffer. Purely to profit from it and sell it on (I think Japan have a good idea to punish those who look to sell it on with profit) as opposed to leaving stuff for other people.

Not scared, but quite thankful I hadn't booked holidays for this time of year or in the last month otherwise no doubt would have been suffering/panicking about travel arrangements etc.

• The title was changed to Are You Scared/Worried About Coronavirus?
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I’ll be less worried when a vaccine is out there

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615331/a-coronavirus-vaccine-will-take-at-least-18-monthsif-it-works-at-all/

Take it with a grain of salt. It's not like the target methodology is full-fledged to the point of causing other breakdowns since its gene therapy but they are trying and trying hard. 

P.S. I am referring to the push for fast-tracking its usage.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, True Blue said:

In 18 months things could escalate to incredible disastrous consequences. 

Agreed. What they are trying to do now is fast-track the approval and trial process. That means it could come out as fast as two months. My guess is that they'll do it and it may work (or not) with the side-effects being secondary once its used. 

Just now, Mel81x said:

Agreed. What they are trying to do now is fast-track the approval and trial process. That means it could come out as fast as two months. My guess is that they'll do it and it may work (or not) with the side-effects being secondary once its used. 

Several sources not confirmed obviously they knew about it a lot earlier. If the scientists had that time they could have developed a cure if there can be a cure for it.

• Subscriber

The media have blown it up a fair bit but I'm still a little worried but mainly for elderly relatives who won't be able to fight it as well as others. Until it affects somebody within my circles, I'm trying not to get too worked up about it.

• Subscriber

Not really at my age but worry a wee bit about the grandson's at there age, I have flu jabs every year and pump tablets down my throat every day for my heart failure condition, have an asthma pump and a pump for my COPD which I take every morning but life just goes on for me.

Sooner or later they will find a ** vaccine for it and it will fade away until something else pops up and people start the panic bit (and the governments) all over again, a never-ending story really, as Rab said "You could walk outside your house tomorrow and get hit by a car. Shit happens."

Edit: ** As @nudge mentioned in a later post: I'd like to point out that some people are seemingly confusing a vaccine with a cure. The former is supposed to prevent healthy people from getting infected by providing acquired immunity whereas the latter is supposed to treat the already infected; it's not the same thing.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Several sources not confirmed obviously they knew about it a lot earlier. If the scientists had that time they could have developed a cure if there can be a cure for it.

I don't think that's so far fetched. I personally am being cautious but not to the point where daily life stops or I go out and start thinking its the apocalypse and empty an aisle of resources out. As for the scientists finding a cure, I think China was trying themselves and I am sure they still are. If I remember right, someone on here said that a team in Argentina had a speed test system in place to detect the virus and it might have been @Berserker who said it. I figure they used the same markers to determine how this new therapy is going work.

once again its all experimental and can have terrible side-effects but at the cost of saving a loved one I'd wager its a small price to pay. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

I despair for the selfish people who stockpiled the loo roll and other supermarket items leaving others to suffer. Purely to profit from it and sell it on (I think Japan have a good idea to punish those who look to sell it on with profit) as opposed to leaving stuff for other people.

True, it's happening now in Tesco's, panic buying and I mentioned it in @nudge's thread on the virus, went there (Tescos) to do some shopping the last 3 days or more and toilet roll, kitchen rolls, hand lotion disinfection the shelves were practically empty, customers pushing trolleys filled to the hilt, they should do what they do in Japan and punish them as you mentioned. 

5 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’m more concerned with the effects it could potentially have on my unborn child. They’ve just published an article stating they don’t think it can be transferred via the placenta or during breastfeeding which is good news.

You are with child?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

As our son said when the wife mentioned a lockdown in the UK it won't stop him going out on his taxi job as that is his bread & butter to pay the bills including taxi licence and the rest to run a car.

who would he be giving lifts to :ph34r:

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Stan said:

who would he be giving lifts to :ph34r:

True, I will tell him that xD

I don't think a lock-down will happen though across here but this bloody panic buying does my head in, a lot of the trouble is the small side shops who use the supermarkets to buy goods at cut prices and then put a few pennies on top in their own shop, that's what cash & carries are for so I believe for shop owners, you see a lot of this in the likes of FarmFoods, two people with two separate trollies piled up with toilet rolls, hand towels etc, the store managers should stop them really and only limit them a certain amount.

I am mostly worried about the Dallas Cup being cancelled, which at this point in time could well be a given. Of course I also worry about my grandmother who is in her 80's, but luckily unless Chile screws everything up, I think Peru might be OK.

• Subscriber

I'd like to point out that some people are seemingly confusing a vaccine with a cure. The former is supposed to prevent healthy people from getting infected by providing acquired immunity whereas the latter is supposed to treat the already infected; it's not the same thing. We don't have either at the moment although there are numerous companies around the globe working on both. In terms of a "cure", remdesivir seems to be the most promising antiviral drug to treat this at the moment; trials are currently underway in the US and China.

As for the topic in question - of course life goes on and panic or fear are pointless. People have to go to work and provide for their families, buy groceries, have other appointments; it's unavoidable. Stressing too much over things that are out of your control anyway is not good for anyone either. However, so many people not being willing to even slightly adjust their habits and lifestyles for a while baffles me a bit. It's not just about you - there's also such thing as social responsibility. The main point of the containment measures (bans on public events, quarantines, social distancing etc.) is to contain the spread as much as possible in order to protect the most vulnerable groups of society first and foremost; in this particular case the elderly and people with underlying health conditions. 

I do worry for my parents if the virus keeps spreading. I'm also annoyed because it screwed most of my plans already so I hope it does fuck off as soon as possible.

47 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I don't think that's so far fetched. I personally am being cautious but not to the point where daily life stops or I go out and start thinking its the apocalypse and empty an aisle of resources out. As for the scientists finding a cure, I think China was trying themselves and I am sure they still are. If I remember right, someone on here said that a team in Argentina had a speed test system in place to detect the virus and it might have been @Berserker who said it. I figure they used the same markers to determine how this new therapy is going work.

once again its all experimental and can have terrible side-effects but at the cost of saving a loved one I'd wager its a small price to pay. 

Yeah, it was said Conicet (state backed science institution) had created a device that could detect the virus in under an hour for 1$ per use, but they needed investors, haven't heard about it anymore but perhaps they struck a deal with other countries or labs and can't divulge anything else. This is the website of the project https://caspr.bio/#asar

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’m more concerned with the effects it could potentially have on my unborn child. They’ve just published an article stating they don’t think it can be transferred via the placenta or during breastfeeding which is good news.

I can't begin to imagine how much of a worry that can be for you! Glad to hear that they don't think it can be transferred that way.

My work seem to be panicking more about it all than any of the workers but I guess they need to take precautions and have a plan in place. I'm working from home today as a 'trial' of the systems we have just in case.

Archived