talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are You Scared/Worried About Coronavirus?

football forum

I would say I'm just worried about what the immediate future looks like pretty generally.

People locked in houses. Paranoia. Heavily loaded healthcare systems. Everyone kind of anxious that they don't know exactly what they should be doing or how far they should be going in their contingency arrangements.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I'm full of conflict and anger about personal decisions, my governments decisions and my employers decisions which is why I am posting at 4am. Can't sleep.

You're among company mate. 

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

I would say I'm just worried about what three immediate future looks like pretty generally.

People locked in houses. Paranoia. Heavily loaded healthcare systems. Everyone kind of Europe's that they don't know exactly what they should be doing or how far they should be going in their contingency arrangements

This for me also, godforbid if sea ports, import/export are also to be closed even for a while what chaos it will create. There is already nothing to buy on many stores

• Administrator

I woke up this morning now feeling it's only a matter of time when I get it, as opposed to 'if'.

I feel resigned to contracting it at some point (have suffered long ago in the past with low white blood cell count, leading to poor immune system). 

However I feel that I could cope but it's a case of worrying about passing it on to someone else who is more vulnerable than me. Not to mention the industry/line of work that I'm in where I could easily contract it/pass it on - but given that no-one at work has got it (knowingly) and advice from work is carry on as normal for now, as well as feeling fine at the moment, there's no reason for me to stop working...

There's a bloke in the office this morning with a stonking great big cold. When someone asked him if he should be here he said he's been on the NHS website and it says unless you've just come back from a list of certain locations then it's fine. I've got to sit in a room with him for an hour at 10.

This country is on the path to getting fucked.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

There's a bloke in the office this morning with a stonking great big cold. When someone asked him if he should be here he said he's been on the NHS website and it says unless you've just come back from a list of certain locations then it's fine. I've got to sit in a room with him for an hour at 10.

This country is on the path to getting fucked.

Yeah @Dan mentioned that advice as well. I think we've gone well past that stage where 'you won't have COVID-19 if you haven't been to these countries'. Especially nearby countries where the virus has spread rapidly - France, Italy, Spain etc. 

• Subscriber

When I watched the press conference yesterday I forced myself to trust the government. I couldn't trust Boris Johnson in a million lifetimes but I didn't see any reason not to believe the two doctors that spoke alongside him. The more I've read since, the more worried I'm getting. The "science" leading the UK government's decisions seems to conflict with most of the rest of the science I've read elsewhere. I'm also concerned about how little common sense is being shown. The blasé attitude of letting those thousands of fans come from Madrid to Anfield this week is the example I keep coming back to that makes me think that we just aren't alive to it as a country, or more likely, that the government are playing game theory with peoples' lives.

There are still no cases on the Isle of Man where I live but only about 25 people have been tested. It feels incredibly unlikely that it isn't over here in some shape or form. People travel over from the UK every day for work, so it is inevitable eventually. For us, it can go one of two ways. Either we take swift action or just get lucky on account of being a small island with much less visitors, and we only get a minor outbreak. Or we get a major outbreak similar to other countries and we don't have the facilities to deal with it because we're too small to benefit from the economies of scale of countries like England. There is only one proper hospital over here. Apparently they have some extra capacity in terms of beds, but on wards that are only closed because we don't have the staff to man them. I'm still massively concerned about our intensive care situation as well. In extreme cases, we have to airlift people to Liverpool for intensive care because we don't have the facilities to treat them. We're such a small population that it's more cost effective to send patients to Liverpool even for some regular checks and operations than it is to invest in those facilities ourselves.

Like most people, I'm not worried about myself but my Nana falls firmly into the high risk category.

I am not worried for me as well, but for my mum and dad even tough they are not "elderly". My mum is 62 and dad is 58, and work several co workers are sent home to work there. Personally i would be much happier if i knew if i had it so i wouldn't infect someone else.

Worried about my mum, she's only in her fifties but she's quite frail. My dad drives a taxi too, so he's dealing with strangers and using cash a lot, so he could easily carry it back. He can't really afford to self isolate either since drivers are technically self-employed.

I'm probably going to catch it since atm I'm working in a huge open office where we all hotdesk, and there's no way they're going to send us home until the government tells them to, which it won't. '

My mums currently in a nursing home with palliative spinal cancer. She’s pretty much fucked either way along with all the other residents when this hits. That’s the cold hard facts about this virus. Once it starts getting into nursing/residential homes, the full scale will become obvious and by then, it’ll be too late. 

53 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

My mums currently in a nursing home with palliative spinal cancer. She’s pretty much fucked either way along with all the other residents when this hits. That’s the cold hard facts about this virus. Once it starts getting into nursing/residential homes, the full scale will become obvious and by then, it’ll be too late. 

Very sad mate, my granddad's in hospital at the moment for unrelated treatment and you'd have to think it's the safest place for him. Normally you'd want them somewhere that feels like home. Personal feeling is the government will view them as collateral damage, read that South Korea have tested over 200,000 people.

Government are worried the NHS might crash as if there's not billions of pounds worth of tax not being paid by big corporations, imo sad truth is that everyday people will end up volunteering long before money from there comes our way.

17 hours ago, Dan said:

I think I possibly had it starting around two weeks ago. I had the usual flu symptoms but the bit that got me was that I genuinely struggled to breathe at times - you can breathe but you have to alter the way you do it a bit and it's not nice.

Rang 111 who told me to ring my GP. Rang my GP who told me to ring 111. Shock horror.

Rang 111 again and these are your options:-

1 - Select if you have been in contact with anybody who is confirmed as having the virus, or have been to any of the affected countries in the last two weeks. That was a no x2.

2 - Select to receive information on Coronavirus.

3 - Select to speak to somebody for advice, but they cannot assess your symptoms.

I went for option 3, who told me to eventually ring option 2, so I did and received links to the gov website. Not really much use. It provides me with background information but nothing to do in terms of action taken.

So I went back through it and went for option 3 again, they asked for my symptoms again, then told me to ring my GP.

Eventually I realise I'm in a bit of a cycle.

Work eventually tell me on Friday (I'd had the whole week off) that if I feel OK (which I do now) to return on Monday. So I have done.

The problem here is I've got no way of proving if I've had it, no way of proving I've not had it, and work have let me back in anyway.

Even if I've not had it, there will 100% be people who have gone through pretty much that exact same pattern who do have the illness. I went to Norwich away on Friday 28th February - how would I know I've been in contact with somebody who has it or not?

Yet at the same time I do appreciate it's impossible to test everyone.

It's a bit of a shambles but what can you do? I think there's an argument to say I shouldn't be back in work yet but in truth I've felt fine since about last Thursday.

Pretty piss poor that is.... 

9 hours ago, True Blue said:

I am not worried for me as well, but for my mum and dad even tough they are not "elderly". My mum is 62 and dad is 58, and work several co workers are sent home to work there. Personally i would be much happier if i knew if i had it so i wouldn't infect someone else.

Pretty much the same for me. I'm not too fussed but my folks are in their 60's and one of them has been having immunotherapy for cancer, which doesn't help matters. 

The other concern is with my grandmothers who are 87 and 92. In the case of the latter though, she survived sepsis two years ago so the coronavirus would probably be bricking it trying to infect her. 

20 hours ago, Dan said:

I think I possibly had it starting around two weeks ago. I had the usual flu symptoms but the bit that got me was that I genuinely struggled to breathe at times - you can breathe but you have to alter the way you do it a bit and it's not nice.

Rang 111 who told me to ring my GP. Rang my GP who told me to ring 111. Shock horror.

Rang 111 again and these are your options:-

1 - Select if you have been in contact with anybody who is confirmed as having the virus, or have been to any of the affected countries in the last two weeks. That was a no x2.

2 - Select to receive information on Coronavirus.

3 - Select to speak to somebody for advice, but they cannot assess your symptoms.

I went for option 3, who told me to eventually ring option 2, so I did and received links to the gov website. Not really much use. It provides me with background information but nothing to do in terms of action taken.

So I went back through it and went for option 3 again, they asked for my symptoms again, then told me to ring my GP.

Eventually I realise I'm in a bit of a cycle.

Work eventually tell me on Friday (I'd had the whole week off) that if I feel OK (which I do now) to return on Monday. So I have done.

The problem here is I've got no way of proving if I've had it, no way of proving I've not had it, and work have let me back in anyway.

Even if I've not had it, there will 100% be people who have gone through pretty much that exact same pattern who do have the illness. I went to Norwich away on Friday 28th February - how would I know I've been in contact with somebody who has it or not?

Yet at the same time I do appreciate it's impossible to test everyone.

It's a bit of a shambles but what can you do? I think there's an argument to say I shouldn't be back in work yet but in truth I've felt fine since about last Thursday.

Probably the same here. 

I was quite worried that I had it in its minor form, but according to our regulations etc I can only go get tested if I have all the symptoms plus have either been overseas, or been in contact with someone with coronavirus or who someone who could have it. How would I know? Hence why I was asking questions previously about Iran. I’m almost back to normal myself. 

The worrying thing for me is Indonesia. They have tested less than 1000 people. They’d have the virus quite severely I’d imagine. Yet our health department guidelines are still self monitor if you go there... I’ve got a student going there next week and I’ve tried to ask the principal what we can do around that... essentially nothing. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Pretty piss poor that is.... 

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

Probably the same here. 

I was quite worried that I had it in its minor form, but according to our regulations etc I can only go get tested if I have all the symptoms plus have either been overseas, or been in contact with someone with coronavirus or who someone who could have it. How would I know? Hence why I was asking questions previously about Iran. I’m almost back to normal myself. 

The worrying thing for me is Indonesia. They have tested less than 1000 people. They’d have the virus quite severely I’d imagine. Yet our health department guidelines are still self monitor if you go there... I’ve got a student going there next week and I’ve tried to ask the principal what we can do around that... essentially nothing. 

The problem is I think while it's shit, I appreciate it's probably impossible to test everybody who shows the symptoms.

But for me I think I genuinely may well have had it - and I cannot possibly confirm if I did or not. The problem is while I may not have done, there without a doubt will be people in my position, who do have it, who are also none the wiser.

It's pretty grim. It's an inevitability I think unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, Dan said:

The problem is I think while it's shit, I appreciate it's probably impossible to test everybody who shows the symptoms.

But for me I think I genuinely may well have had it - and I cannot possibly confirm if I did or not. The problem is while I may not have done, there without a doubt will be people in my position, who do have it, who are also none the wiser.

Assuming you did have it, how was it? Anything to panic about?

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Assuming you did have it, how was it? Anything to panic about?

To be honest, it just felt like flu but with a few breathing problems - it's not nice but I've felt worse.

Turmeric did me good.

3 hours ago, Dan said:

Also a good way to keep those reported figures down, most people being given the run around are more than likely to hang up in frustration

Genuinely scared to go to work on Monday.

5 hours ago, Harvsky said:

There's a wedding in two weeks time I'm going to. I've been thinking about this and if anyone is a carrier at that wedding it could wipe out half the elders in the family. 

Same here. I have cousin's wedding on 19 this Thursday. Don't know what to do. Might be cancelled, if the government brings out an order banning public gatherings. Already malls, cinema halls, etc have been closed down. 

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Mostly either people are panicking or have the bravado attitude.

Not that I come across. Don't see any panic or bravado. If we are creating a spectrum, mainly a scale of concern for self/others on one end and thinking there's no real problem (yet?) on the other.

15 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Not that I come across. Don't see any panic or bravado. If we are creating a spectrum, mainly a scale of concern for self/others on one end and thinking there's no real problem (yet?) on the other.

the bravado is a thing here, since it has not taken off in Asia as much as in Europe people are probably thinking they're not gonna get it. 

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Dan said:

Given you thought you may have had it, did you do anything to self-isolate or prevent passing it on?

Archived