talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga Week 37 Fixtures-13-14th May 2017

football forum

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This I think is the absolutely vital matchday in the title race....Las Palmas away definitely wouldn't be a walkover for us, meanwhile if Real Madrid are to lose a match, this game against Sevilla is by far the most likely, and is our biggest hope I feel :16_relieved: I'm going to hope for the best haha

Away day at Las Palmas isn't a game you particularly want if you're Barcelona.  They've been brilliant at home (historically they've been tremendous there) and although they're in a bit of turmoil recently (from about two months ago) due to what's going on with their coach Quique Setién and his refusal to sign an extension and public words against staying, they're still dangerous.  Barça can only win what's remaining and they'll have to play very well indeed to win this one.

As for Real Madrid at home to Sevilla...  If this were the Sevilla from three months ago I'd put money on them winning, but it's not and since they got knocked out of the Champions League by Leicester City, they've been very hot and cold.  It's true that recently they've been a bit more consistent, but they're nothing like what they were defensively in the first half of the campaign.

• The title was changed to La Liga Week 37 Fixtures-13-14th May 2017
  • The topic was pinned

Unfortunately Sporting's relegation will probably be confirmed this weekend. They away record this season has been played 18, won 0, drawn 3 and lost 15. There has been a catalogue of awful defending and defensive mistakes all season. Leganés thumping Betis 4-0 last weekend was almost the final nail in their coffin.  

Speaking of Las Palmas, I really rate Mauricio Lemos highly. He has tremendous anticipation and ball-carrying ability.  He's yet another talented defender to emerge from the amazing Uruguayan football factory, which is incredible for a country with a population of under 3.5 million. I believe that he he has been moved into midfield a few times this season and has also done well there. It's no surprise that Barcelona wanted to sign him last summer, but of course he only would have been a squad player, so he wisely chose to stay at Las Palmas and play regular first-team football. 

UD Las Palmas 1-4 FC Barcelona (FT)

Fantastic result for Barça away to Las Palmas where it's so difficult to win historically and especially this season.  Las Palmas' problem this year has been away from home where they've been dismal.  But at home they've been very entertaining and effective apart from today where Barça practically cancelled them out completely.  A hat-trick for Neymar which is also great!

Good to see Sporting finally winning an away game this season at the final opportunity, and going down with a fight at least.

With Depor drawing away to Villarreal (plus Leganés drawing in Bilbao), and Depor beating Sporting in both of their matches this season for the head to head advantage, that means that Sporting relegated. It's sad but was inevitable unfortunately. Hopefully they will back up quickly, but it will be tough. 

Probably counting the Club World Cup win in December.

Unlike the Supercopa, Community Shield, European Super Club etc which to me are just glorified friendlies that serve no footballing purpose, I do personally think that the Club World Cup is a worthwhile competition to win (I might be in the total minority there), though of course not as important as the Copa Del Rey, let alone the Champions League or La Liga. 

In 2008/2009 after Man Utd had won the Club World Cup and League Cup and were top of the Premier League and progressing well in the Champions League and FA Cup, the English media talked about them winning a possible quintuple rather than a quadruple. 

Don Balón? xD

That's a kid's magazine and a pro Real Madrid one to boot. hahaha.

Why don't you speak your own opinions instead of backing yourself up with nonsense.  Next you'll be quoting Tomás Roncero xD

Infact I recommend him to you if you don't already know about him.  He's a sensationalist "sports" journalist and writes a column on AS (one of the Madrid based sports newspapers).  Totally pro-Madrid and anti-Barça, but then again both MARCA and AS are (AS being more so and blatant).

Here's his Twitter account: Tomás Roncero (@As_TomasRoncero) · Twitter

And here's the webpage for AS: AS.com - Diario online deportivo. Fútbol, motor y mucho más

The thing is you can get away with some of that crap you post on here because Spanish football for many (not all) in the forum is a side thing and you posting material like you tend to search for and with opportunism may cut it with some.

;)

BTW what a season Alavés have had. For me it has been major highlight of this season. A convincing win for them at home to Celta yesterday, with an excellent first performance. Of course Celta were suffering from a Europa League hangover. 

Before their promotion last year they had been out of La Liga for 10 years, and were down in the third tier just 4 years ago. Their entire squad cost about 6 million euros to put together. But they haven't even been in any danger of getting relegated and are on track to finish somewhere between 8th and 10th. That has of course included a famous victory at the Camp Nou in September and a draw at the Vicente Calderón. Plus they have reached the first Copa Del Rey final in their history after beating RM's conquerors Celta in the semi-finals. 

I would love to see them yet causing a huge upset and beating Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey final later this month (I will always support a Spanish underdog team against RM or Barça), but regardless of the result it has been fairytale season for them. 

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

BTW what a season Alavés have had. For me it has been major highlight of this season. A convincing win for them at home to Celta yesterday, with an excellent first performance. Of course Celta were suffering from a Europa League hangover. 

Before their promotion last year they had been out of La Liga for 10 years, and were down in the third tier just 4 years ago. Their entire squad cost about 6 million euros to put together. But they haven't even been in any danger of getting relegated and are on track to finish somewhere between 8th and 10th. That has of course included a famous victory at the Camp Nou in September and a draw at the Vicente Calderón. Plus they have reached the first Copa Del Rey final in their history after beating RM's conquerors Celta in the semi-finals. 

I would love to see them yet causing a huge upset and beating Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey final later this month (I will always support a Spanish underdog team against RM or Barça), but regardless of the result it has been fairytale season for them. 

Yeah...  Once Alavés got rid of that bloodsucking scoundrel Dmitry Piterman who ruined the club and almost took them onto the final path of forcing the club to disappear, it's been a long road back like you've said.  They've been playing in some of the most difficult divisions in the world in my view, where it's almost like hell and the road back is usually almost impossible and very unlikely.  It's been a joy to see them rebuilt as are other clubs that have gone on a similar path like Real Oviedo, Cádiz or Albacete (who incidentally has been saved by Andrés Iniesta financially).  Three very important clubs in Spain that almost disappeared completely like UD Salamanca which now no longer exists.

It's going to be very difficult for them in the Copa del Rey Final but in football anything is possible.  Barça will probably be playing for their only trophy of the season with that final which makes it even harder for Deportivo Alavés.

Great win at the Gran Canaria today, 4-1 away fron home to Las Palmas is no mean feat! Really glad for Neymar with his hattrick, too :D 

The La Liga title race will once again go right down to the wire, then. 

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Probably counting the Club World Cup win in December.

Unlike the Supercopa, Community Shield, European Super Club etc which to me are just glorified friendlies that serve no footballing purpose, I do personally think that the Club World Cup is a worthwhile competition to win (I might be in the total minority there), though of course not as important as the Copa Del Rey, let alone the Champions League or La Liga. 

In 2008/2009 after Man Utd had won the Club World Cup and League Cup and were top of the Premier League and progressing well in the Champions League and FA Cup, the English media talked about them winning a possible quintuple rather than a quadruple. 

I knew he was counting the Club World Cup, but I wanted him to say it.  That's not The Treble though.  It's a treble xD But not the one Florentino wants.

This is what Real are looking for mate.

tripletENG.v1433615391.jpg

They're the only teams to have done it and Barcelona twice.

Actually Barça went onto do this in 2009:

fc_barcelona_6_copas_la_masia_by_lord_il

• The topic was unpinned

Archived