talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

While it pales into insignificance compared to the loss of life and effects it’s likely to have on the economy the world over, this is affecting Football. 

Thought we needed a thread for it somewhere. 

I do worry that any suspension could cripple small clubs, especially some non-League ones. 

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I'd hate to see it cripple the smaller clubs especially those who are having difficulties anyway.

Can't find the article now as on the move but The Independent did a really good article on the repercussions for teams financially

• Subscriber

I saw a headline (but didn't read the article) about Irish clubs being concerned that they could go under if there are delays and cancellations. I suppose it's like any other business that's going to have its profitability thrown into question by any sort of lockdown. Hope that you can limit the damage and that governing bodies and governments are able to offer the financial support necessary to keep you afloat until we get through.

Scheduling is the secondary issue. Finishing this seasons European club tournaments looks impossible if things get much worse. The leagues you can at least justifiably call the current table the final table having completed well over half of the season although you could easily argue its unfair on teams that think they've got nicer fixtures to finish the season that they wont get to take advantage of to improve their current position. The Euros this summer could be disrupted as well.

I don't remember, what was the toll the Swine Flu had on these tournaments? Obviously that was a year where the only thing close to major was the Confederations Cup. I know the Liga MX was played behind closed doors too.

8 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I don't remember, what was the toll the Swine Flu had on these tournaments? Obviously that was a year where the only thing close to major was the Confederations Cup. I know the Liga MX was played behind closed doors too.

Was swine flu ever this serious? I had swine flu, it wasn't even that bad imo. Just a bad flu for about 3 days and then after that I was fine.

With coronavirus we've got the leader of Germany saying she's expecting 70% of Germany to get it... and we've got the WHO making an estimate (last week) that about 40% of the world's population would get it - and that estimation is probably outdated after the news from this week.

I was annoyed that they banned spectactors from Fortuna games at first, but I totally understand it now. With 50k-ish people there's a big chance that at least one person is infected (especially considering that Heinsberg, one of the cities where it first and most spread is nearby). And that's enough to infect several other people without them even knowing at first, or never even showing any symptoms. But they'd carry it around with them, while maybe visiting their grandparents or other susceptible people. 

I'm rather surprised Atlanta United haven't made a statement about this weekend's match. I was going to go, and still might, but with as many people as we have, and the fact that schools are cancelled, I'm shocked that United have yet to make a statement. 

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

The first two rounds of Conmebol World Cup Qualifiers who were set to happen later this month have been postponed.

@Inti Brian

Good.

So far the thing has been managed well in South America. Maybe it's because the Swine Flu and Zika outbreaks are in fresh memory.

14 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

While it pales into insignificance compared to the loss of life and effects it’s likely to have on the economy the world over, this is affecting Football. 

Thought we needed a thread for it somewhere. 

I do worry that any suspension could cripple small clubs, especially some non-League ones. 

Depending on how long with this pandemic last.

8 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Good.

So far the thing has been managed well in South America. Maybe it's because the Swine Flu and Zika outbreaks are in fresh memory.

Or maybe it's because the weather in SA is warmer this time of year than in the Alps in Italy and the frost in Central China.  This virus seems to be able to live better in colder conditions - the Tenerife example has not spread too far and I am due to go to Las Palmas in 2 weeks time where temperatures have been regularly 21deg each day and there is little spread. If we can get over the early spring weather then April/May could see the virus losing it's power and maybe the footy seasons could extend into June to get things properly sorted.  Too much doom and gloom and silly panic buying at the moment and, yes, I know that some people will be more than worried, but at my age I am in the so-called high risk group and as Doris used to say 'Que Sera, Sera'.  We use the word 'stress' sometimes as an excuse for anything we do not want to do - in my youth it was only used when we tested metals in physics.  Just relax and take the precautions as advised and if there has to be less of large public gathering so be it - my favourite song from the wartime sums it all up -"The world will glow with golden glory, soon we'll forget the skies were grey - and like a lovely fairy story - There'll come another day"

Take care all and above all

Sei nett

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Azeem said:

I think letting all those fans from Madrid to watch the game can screw UK big time

So stupid. I keep wanting to think that other people know better than I do but ffs, Madrid is a hot spot for it in Spain and it would have been a perfectly reasonable precaution to play the game behind closed doors even though that's absolutely shite.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

What a shitter on the season. 

Cancel everything now. 

This. 

I must say that us avoiding relegation thanks to coronavirus would be bizarrely hilarious xD

Archived