talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

That is what happens when you get your ass fingered by a Greek team whose owner has corona.   I expect Arsenal to pull out of the league now as my sources have told me, that Arsenal's training ground has had to close, a number of staff including players have been in the presence of Arteta, this is very serious as everything around the club which could be contaminated will have to close for 5 weeks minimum. This will spiral out of control due to the close environment of a football club. 

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I was actually talking about it at work the other day. If anyone recalls the movie 'The Crazies' the story basically goes like a town is turning into zombies (SPOILER AHEAD) well it turned out a small plane crashed in the woods and was leaking a chemical weapon into their watersupply, that chemical weapon was designed to basically take out a town all on its own but making the people go nuts and kill each other off and leave no need to send in soldiers or military at all. Maybe a tad farfetched but I honestly believe something similar likely exists and I wonder if anything like that is ever "trialed" on the general population, whether by accident or not. Anyways good movie, check it out :D

3 minutes ago, Panna King said:

That is what happens when you get your ass fingered by a Greek team whose owner has corona.   I expect Arsenal to pull out of the league now as my sources have told me, that Arsenal's training ground has had to close, a number of staff including players have been in the presence of Arteta, this is very serious as everything around the club which could be contaminated will have to close for 5 weeks minimum. This will spiral out of control due to the close environment of a football club. 

“If Artera doesn’t survive from Coronavirus, they should shut the club down” :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think what's more concerning, as would have been the case since the outbreak started, is who he may have come in to contact with before he quarantined/self-isolated.

Yes, he most likely will be fine. But what about any family/friends, possibly elderly, he was around?

Yes I get all that and it's obviously extremely concerning. 6666's post that I replied to though came across like he thought Corona virus made you really Ill and got worse the longer it went on. 

I think some people dont realise that the actual illness isnt really a bad process to go through. As you say, it's the elderly and already poorly people that are in danger. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Yes I get all that and it's obviously extremely concerning. 6666's post that I replied to though came across like he thought Corona virus made you really Ill and got worse the longer it went on. 

I think some people dont realise that the actual illness isnt really a bad process to go through. As you say, it's the elderly and already poorly people that are in danger. 

I think what's still a bit murky is that some people who won't die from it will survive after needing intensive care. If they can't get intensive care because all of the beds are taken, then they actually will die. This probably doesn't apply to Arteta but it's a factor that's getting overlooked when people say only old and sick people are at risk of being finished off by it.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

I think what's still a bit murky is that some people who won't die from it will survive after needing intensive care. If they can't get intensive care because all of the beds are taken, then they actually will die. This probably doesn't apply to Arteta but it's a factor that's getting overlooked when people say only old and sick people are at risk of being finished off by it.

Related to that, there's apparently been cases where people have recovered from it but contracted it again. If people can't become immune to it, at least not for a long time, what happens then :o

53 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Arteta will probably come out ok, but the underlining issues will stay with him, this virus eats away at the lungs, as there is no vaccine for it now, its still a very grey area if this virus just applies the danger levels to elderly or people with health issues.   The main worry though is that who has been in contact with Arteta, what about poor old Joyce and Sally who work at the football training ground who are just there to iron and wash the clothes who have been in contact with his sweaty clothes or the catering staff that serve him his El Desayuno, Dave the car park attendant, Sharon in reception, Old man John who hides in the bushes, Manuel his house keeper or Maria who looks after his children. Footballers are just not at risk, the football club also hires everyday people who have families which can also be effected.   They shouldn't just wait until someone high profile gets it before taking action, it should be a safe environment for everyone no matter what their role is. 

At the moment the English FA, Premier League are choosing money over peoples safety the same as The Government of England who fail to see there is a crisis, as the only crisis they are seeing is the stock markets as how can they afford to carry on with Brexit with the mess of the markets and thinking of carrying on as normal will improve things! absolute madness! 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Tommy said:

It's irresponsible to not call everything off. 

Agreed. It goes beyond football now I think.

Going to be some very interesting debates about how you settle it all though if they don't find the time. I think either a series of play-offs or they just postpone the Euros until next summer.

It's going to be tricky either way and it'll likely affect next season too.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Tommy said:

I wish Arteta a speedy recovery, but it seems like it needed a "big name" in the Premier League for some people to finally wake up. 

Yep. Both Watford and Leicester have significant problems but as soon at it hits Arsenal's manager that's where the line is drawn. Sums them up to me even if they do reach the sensible solution.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

Definitely the case.

Was fine for 3 of our players have to self-isolate, allegedly 3 other PL players from an unnamed club do the same, already had one game postponed, the owner of an EFL club test positive. 

And now there's 'emergency meetings' tomorrow morning to decide something. Pathetic.

Completely sums the league up unfortunately. That's not to downplay the significance of it happening to Arteta but it only matters once it hits their chosen six. Guess it confirms what we all know anyway mind.

• Subscriber

It would be ridiculous at this point. I've got tickets for the majority of our coming up games but I don't particularly care about them now. This is bigger than football. Suspend for a month and reassess from there.

I think something on the calendar has got to give - for me it's the inaugural restructured Club World Cup due to take place in summer 2021. I think Euro 2020 should move to then, this next month treated as a bit of a break and then you try and fit the fixtures into May & June.

Granted it's absolutely shit but name a better solution. Voiding the league would be a huge shame and regardless of what you think of them, an absolute travesty for Liverpool who've totally walked it. You also cannot send Aston Villa down with a game in hand.

The one bit of solace about the Euros is that there isn't one main country benefitting from this. Imagine that this was say, Portugal's Euros and they missed out on the lot because of this after spending millions to prepare. At least with it spread out there aren't any significant losses. This actually opens up the possibility of them cancelling it completely in my opinion.

I wonder if there'll be a series of play-offs. That may be the only way you get a solution in an acceptable amount of time.

We are likely to constantly get players and staff needing a 14 day self isolation popping up for quite some time. If government scientific advisers are right that he outbreak won't peak in the UK for 10-14 weeks then suspending football now means the season will never get played before the next season is supposed to start. You're looking at 3 months of suspended football.

It's looking unlikely that this can be resolved with just having a couple of weeks off.

If you want the season to be finished it must carry on. Premier League could easily afford private coronavirus testing of every player every week. 

The dilemma then is what happens when a player tests positive? Does that club and everyone they played in the previous week go into a 2 week suspension?

There's no easy answer.

6 hours ago, Lucas said:

This is how it all started in Planet of the Apes. Humans contacted a virus, died out and the apes took over.

Won't be long before a select few of us are all chucked into a battle arena Hunger Games style to the amusement of the animal kingdom in a survival of the fittest event, played to an empty stadium of course.

And Sky Sports will still charge premium rate for it. Pricks.

The wheels are in motion.

Thousands of hungry monkeys storm the town center in Lopburi, Thailand because the tourists that usually fed them fled due to Covid-19.

1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

The wheels are in motion.

Thousands of hungry monkeys storm the town center in Lopburi, Thailand because the tourists that usually fed them fled due to Covid-19.

Ah. And so it begins.

All because his manager wouldn't play him. Cheers Bale.

20200313_060930.jpg.ae8f2437c874e49904f7b6c2cb822d21.jpg

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Harvsky said:

The dilemma then is what happens when a player tests positive? Does that club and everyone they played in the previous week go into a 2 week suspension?

Well Hudson-Odoi has tested positive now... 

As a fan with his team in the relegation zone, but in easy reach of safety, I don't think anyone should automatically go down. 

I would see the fairness in an extension of the bundesliga play off system, where Bielfield play off against paderborn, Bremen play off against Stuttgart and Hamburg play off against Dusseldorf.

To relegate us with a game in hand over other teams and matches against both other teams in the bottom 3 to come would be criminal. And it's the same for the likes of villa 

I’m sure that when clubs go bust and can’t fulfil the season, if they’ve not played 75% of their games, their record is expunged and points are taken from others etc. Given about 80% of the season is done, I wouldn’t be overly fussed if the season “ended” immediately, though I can understand certain clubs wouldn’t be happy and would argue that they could change their position in their respective league. 

Archived