talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

Alex song was amoung 9 players sacked by FC Sion for refusing to take a paycut. Absolute wankers. People are dying and those millionaires won't take a pay cut

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Alex song was amoung 9 players sacked by FC Sion for refusing to take a paycut. Absolute wankers. People are dying and those millionaires won't take a pay cut

Sorry if this is seen as thread bumping. For me this is one of the worst things I have seen from a group of professional footballers. Personally I could never welcome song back to arsenal in any kind of coaching role unless he was genuinely sorry. What are your thoughts @Asura @6666 @...Dan @Panna King

22 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Sorry if this is seen as thread bumping. For me this is one of the worst things I have seen from a group of professional footballers. Personally I could never welcome song back to arsenal in any kind of coaching role unless he was genuinely sorry. What are your thoughts @Asura @6666 @...Dan @Panna King

Will taking a pay cut stop people from dying? Is the club planning on spending the money saved to help?

31 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

Will taking a pay cut stop people from dying? Is the club planning on spending the money saved to help?

Well they are not playing football and some clubs can't afford to pay them a full wage. The point is when you are a millionaire and a club can't afford to pay you a full wage and you refuse to take a pay cut in a time like this you are a bit of a cunt in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

To be honest I don't think people taking a paycut should be something that should be expected. If they do it, it's a generous gesture but they're not really doing anything wrong be not doing it. It's a shit situation all round.

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Given that football is off in the UK all players wages should be stopped. The government will give them £2500 a month. :ph34r:

ALL player wages should be capped to 1k a week anyway, current wages are total madness!

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Fellaini has it. Have a feeling he got it in Europe though rather than in China if the headline is anything to go by!

He could have had it in China then returned to Belgium.

• Administrator

Southampton chief exec comments...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51990101

Southampton's chief executive has suggested Premier League matches could be on television every day while people are still confined to their homes because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Martin Semmens says the return of the top flight - currently suspended until at least 30 April - would be "a sign that the country is coming back to normal" but it should not happen before it is safe.

"We have to do what is right and safe for the general public," he told BBC Radio Solent.

"When everybody is safe and we're not using up NHS and police resources, the government would like us to get back to playing because we are entertainment and a sign that the country is coming back to normal.

"If people are home for another month and Premier League football is on the TV every day that can only be a good thing. Not because we are more essential than the NHS but because we can give people entertainment and show that we're fighting back."

Semmens said teams are hopeful of completing the league by the end of June but did not yet know when play would resume.

Some players will be out of contract on 30 June, but Semmens believes players could be convinced to stay for longer should play continue beyond that point

"We hope to get the league done by the end of June," Semmens added. "As soon as you go past that date, there are legal challenges.

"If we ended up playing until 15 July and you had to extend a player's contract by two weeks, convincing a player to play two more weeks of football and get paid nicely to do it - I don't believe that will be a substantial challenge.

"The challenge is making sure we don't have a knock-on effect to other seasons and make football compromised for years to come."

I think the fact it is 'entertainment' needs to be put to the back-burner. He has said 'when it is safe to do so' but the country needs to get back on its feet properly before we start allowing football again, even if it is behind closed doors.

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Fellaini has it. Have a feeling he got it in Europe though rather than in China if the headline is anything to go by!

13 minutes ago, Stan said:

He could have had it in China then returned to Belgium.

He wasn't in Europe/Belgium at all. Fellaini fled from China to Dubai during the outbreak, spent a few weeks there and has now returned back (to China) where he tested positive upon arrival (China tests all entering the country now). 

On 17/03/2020 at 20:52, Harvsky said:

If these date ideas are true then the football scheduling team think we'll be allowed back outside when the UK cases and deaths reaches its peak. Cute. Try 6 weeks after.

Season will end behind closed doors imo

• Administrator

Arteta fully recovers :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52005204

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta says he has fully recovered from coronavirus.

Spaniard Arteta, 37, became the first Premier League manager to test positive for the virus on 12 March.

He had reported feeling unwell after it was confirmed Evangelos Marinakis - the owner of Greek side Olympiakos, who played Arsenal in the Europa League in February - had coronavirus on 10 March.

Arteta said: "It took me three or four days to start feeling better, with more energy, to leave the symptoms behind."

Speaking to Spanish television channel La Sexta, he added: "I am very well now. I feel that I have recovered."

The Gunners' players were due to report for training on Tuesday, after completing 14 days' isolation following Arteta's diagnosis, but their return has been postponed.

"As a result of the current situation, we are clear it would be inappropriate and irresponsible to ask players to come back at this time," said the north London club in a statement.

"Therefore our men's first team, women and academy players are all remaining at home. Stay at home and save lives."

Several Arsenal players had gone into self-isolation after the news of Marinakis' positive test, while the Gunners were due to face Manchester City at Etihad Stadium on 11 March.

Speaking on Sunday, Arteta added: "I got a call from the board of directors after training while I was in my car and they told me the president of Olympiakos had tested positive, and everyone who had been in contact was at risk.

"I went on to tell them that I wasn't feeling well and that we had a situation because we had lots of players that had been in contact with them.

"We had a game against Manchester City the next day and obviously we couldn't put lots of people at risk without saying anything.

"Obviously all those who had been in contact with me had to go into quarantine, and consequently games had to be suspended."

Archived