talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Footballers get loads of bad press but I should imagine most, if not, 98% of players would take a cut or defer their wages in the current climate.

Always going to be a few selfish ones that think the world owes them everything but this kind of behaviour should hopefully be across the board now.

Clubs are bigger than players after all.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Footballers get loads of bad press but I should imagine most, if not, 98% of players would take a cut or defer their wages in the current climate.

Always going to be a few selfish ones that think the world owes them everything but this kind of behaviour should hopefully be across the board now.

Clubs are bigger than players after all.

Levy raked in £3m bonus for stadium completion (albeit late) on top of £4m salary. I understand this would have been decided way before COVID19 struck.

However he's now furloughed all non-playing staff (550) for April-May so he can now claim that 80% back that he's paying them...

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Levy raked in £3m bonus for stadium completion (albeit late) on top of £4m salary. I understand this would have been decided way before COVID19 struck.

However he's now furloughed all non-playing staff (550) for April-May so he can now claim that 80% back that he's paying them...

It's Furlonged Stan, not Furloughed... sort yourself out

Think its discusting that a club like Newcastle or Spurs even have the cheek to think about using a government scheme for their employees. Fucking players at both clubs need to have a word with themselves, even sacrificing 20% of their wage would be able to pay those staff. I'd be seriously pissed off if Liverpool did this sort of shite

13 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Oh, we’re back to slating footballers for their wages. I did think the whole “give doctors and nurses footballers wages” gang had gone quiet at the minute. 

I don't think anyone has said that? Surely you can't argue against the fact that footballers could take a small pay cut during this time to help pay those who keep these clubs running on a day to day basis?

11 hours ago, Rick said:

Think its discusting that a club like Newcastle or Spurs even have the cheek to think about using a government scheme for their employees. Fucking players at both clubs need to have a word with themselves, even sacrificing 20% of their wage would be able to pay those staff. I'd be seriously pissed off if Liverpool did this sort of shite

We've also started taking direct debit payments for next season! 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think anyone has said that? Surely you can't argue against the fact that footballers could take a small pay cut during this time to help pay those who keep these clubs running on a day to day basis?

I understand the circumstances now but where do you stop with all this?

Without all that’s going on at the minute, food banks were heavily relied upon before the virus, the emergency services have had the backside ripped out of them over the past ten or so years, kids are living in poverty and going to school with empty stomachs etc etc. 

24 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Maybe when there’s a global pandemic going on and economies are at risk?

Half baked shitouse prem footballers make 50-90k a week. A staff member would bite your hand off for that for a year or two. If the whole team earning over 10k went a week without a wage that would be the staff paid + shitloads for donations. Just 1 week without pay for the 1st team. half pay even.

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Without all that’s going on at the minute, food banks were heavily relied upon before the virus, the emergency services have had the backside ripped out of them over the past ten or so years, kids are living in poverty and going to school with empty stomachs etc etc. 

Talking specifically about this crisis though, football clubs are in a unique position where they're paying players silly amounts each week. The 80% furlough arrangement wasn't set up so Premier League football clubs can continue paying their players their full wage of thousands upon thousands each week and then claim 80% of their non playing staffs minimum wage.

Archived