talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Who knew Dirty Leeds United would be the media darlings in all this by taking a wage deferral 9 days ago so the little people at the club continued to get paid.

Angels with dirty faces mate.... 

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The owners can afford to take the hit and players can as well and I think if they choose to help and bail out the less wealthy then that's great. I don't know if I'm on board with demonising them for not doing it though. Are they responsible for bailing out the less wealthy? It's a shitty situation and I don't know if making rich people the lighting rod for everyone's anger is actually going to solve anything.

From a PR point of view it's not a great look though and big businesses seem to be obsessed with that so I'm not sure if the money they're saving here is worth the negative press.

38 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Are they responsible for bailing out the less wealthy?

Do you think it's reasonable for very wealthy clubs to be offloading poorer paid members of staff to claim from the government while not asking some of the richest paid players and Managers who are not even plying their trade currently to keep pocketing untold sums of money on a weekly basis without making a bit of a sacrifice?? 

The PFA are taking the piss as well.... 

‘Discussions about how players can best financially contribute have been ongoing during the current crisis, and prior to yesterday’s announcement by the Premier League. ‘The Premier League players want to take the lead and ensure their financial contributions will support: Our clubs that we play for will obviously need our support, particularly if this crisis goes beyond June. Non-playing staff at our Premier League clubs – guaranteeing they receive 100% of their wages.

So just how long do they plan on being behind before they step forward to take this lead and does what Spurs and now Liverpool have done not fly in the face of what the PFA have said?? 

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

xD

We take wage defferal's when we want, we take wage defferal's when we waaaaaant.... 

Believe we’re going to be doing the same thing soon but nothing announced yet, how many clubs in the Champ have either taken wage cuts or furloughed their staff?

• Administrator

Agree with Rooney

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52172196

The power struggle over how Premier League footballers can financially assist in the fight against coronavirus is "a disgrace" and has players in a "no-win situation", says Wayne Rooney.

Players have been urged to do more by health secretary Matt Hancock and the Premier League proposed a 30% pay cut.

The Professional Footballers' Association says that may harm the NHS.

Derby striker Rooney says he is happy to offer support but asked: "Why are footballers suddenly the scapegoats?"

In his Sunday Times column, the 34-year-old ex-England captain added: "For the Premier League to just announce the proposal, as it has done, increases the pressure on players and in my opinion it is now a no-win situation: if players come out and say they can't agree or are not willing to cut by 30%, even if the real reasons are that it will financially ruin some, it will be presented as 'Rich Players Refuse Pay Cut'.

"It seemed strange to me because every other decision in this process has been kept behind closed doors, but this had to be announced publicly.

"Why? It feels as if it's to shame the players - to force them into a corner where they have to pick up the bill for lost revenue."

England manager Gareth Southgate has reportedly taken a 30% pay cut, though the Football Association is yet to confirm the move.

The Premier League says it wants a 30% cut in players' wages in order to "protect employment throughout the professional game".

The PFA says the proposal would be "detrimental to our NHS" as it would equate to more than £500m in wage reductions over 12 months, and a loss in tax contributions of more than £200m to the UK government.

Derby player-coach Rooney questioned the timing of the Premier League's proposed wage cuts when top-flight captains were already in discussions as to how they could set up a fund that would go to a charitable cause, most likely the NHS.

Rooney also said the Premier League's own contribution of £20m to the NHS was "a drop in the ocean" compared to what players are being asked to give up.

"How the past few days have played out is a disgrace," added England's all-time leading goalscorer.

"I get that players are well paid and could give up money. But this should be getting done on a case-by-case basis.

"Clubs should be sitting down with each player and explaining what savings it needs to survive. Players would accept that.

"One player might say, 'I can afford a 30%'; another might say, 'I can only afford 5%'.

"Personally, I'd have no problem with some of us paying more. I don't think that would cause any dressing room problems.

"Whatever way you look at it, we're easy targets. What gets lost is that half our wages get taken by the taxman. Money that goes to the government, money that is helping the NHS."

Rooney questioned why "big stars from other sports, who are able to avoid tax by living in places like Monaco" are not being scrutinised over the financial support they are offering in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

He also criticised health secretary Hancock focusing on footballers and believes big clubs do not need players to take cuts in order to survive, adding if they did then "football is in a far worse position than any of us imagined".

Premier League leaders Liverpool are facing criticism from former players and fans for joining Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich in furloughing non-playing staff.

Rooney said he expects people to "point the finger" at him for airing his views on the pay-cut issue but wanted to "speak up" for players.

"At the moment it's almost a free-for-all: it's like the government, Premier League and sections of the media have set the players up to fall," he added.

Fellow ex-England captain Gary Lineker told BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show that footballers he had spoken to were "desperately keen" to offer help but were an "easy" target for criticism.

"Why not call on all the wealthy to try and help if they possibly can rather than just pick on footballers?" the Match of the Day presenter said.

"Nobody seems to talk about the bankers, the CEOs, huge millionaires. Are they standing up? Are they being asked to stand up? We don't know.

"The problem is how you do it. It's obviously complicated and it takes time. People are always quick to jump on the judgemental high horse, certainly when it comes to footballers but lots of them do lots of really good things and I'm sure they'll continue to do so.

"Footballers do an extraordinary amount of good in the community, lots of them will already be giving in their own silent ways and I know that plans are afoot to make their contributions to society.

"I expect an announcement to come in the next few days, the next week or so."

:4_joy: people not working are furloughed across the country and dipping into savings or using debt, millionaire footballers not working might only be able to afford 5% cut and are shafted if their salary falls from 100k a week to 70k?:4_joy:

It might be difficult keeping that gold plated Bentley 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

:4_joy: people not working are furloughed across the country and dipping into savings or using debt, millionaire footballers not working might only be able to afford 5% cut and are shafted if their salary falls from 100k a week to 70k?:4_joy:

It might be difficult keeping that gold plated Bentley 

Not all PL players are earning big bucks though?

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

How many of them aren't in the top 1% of earners in the UK? Meaning they earn less than £3k a week?

The average wage is £3m per year.

Just £10k a week is £520k a year. Maybe the "low" earners will have to remortgage their 10 bed houses. 

The only reason Premier League footballers arent on the government furloughing scheme is because £2500 a month won't pay for the fuel to take their Ferrari to the shops and back.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Kyle Walker spent £2,500 cash just for a hooker to come over during lockdown because the blokes in the 'dumb cunt' category... If you fined the idiot a weeks wages it would be enough to keep 5 low paid members of staff working for a year, let that sink in for a minute... 

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Kyle Walker spent £2,500 cash just for a hooker to come over during lockdown because the blokes in the 'dumb cunt' category... If you fined the idiot a weeks wages it would be enough to keep 5 low paid members of staff working for a year, let that sink in for a minute... 

Okay but that doesn't take away the fact not everyone is on Kyle Walker-esque wages!

56 minutes ago, Stan said:

Okay but that doesn't take away the fact not everyone is on Kyle Walker-esque wages!

Unless they are a serious dumb fuck/ gambling addict, then will have sufficient savings to get through the next few months. This should have been brought in before any furloughing of low paid staff happened. Absolute farce that the lowest earners are getting shafted while these high paid fuckers have zero change to their extravagant lifestyle.

56 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Either he's not taking the lockdown seriously or he's taking it too seriously and thinks the world might end soon.

The world is ending as you knew it, get ready for your 5G controlled microchip ;)

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

Why is the world locked down and the economy destroyed for something that kills less than 1% of the population with 99% of deaths being people with other serious health problems?? 

1 percent of the population is about 400 million people. I get your point but for me the value of human life is more important

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Harvsky said:

How many of them aren't in the top 1% of earners in the UK? Meaning they earn less than £3k a week?

The average wage is £3m per year.

Just £10k a week is £520k a year. Maybe the "low" earners will have to remortgage their 10 bed houses. 

The only reason Premier League footballers arent on the government furloughing scheme is because £2500 a month won't pay for the fuel to take their Ferrari to the shops and back.

Or the clubs they play for can afford to pay them? 

I think what I agree most about with Rooney's comments is that footballers do get a rough ride compared to other mega-rich people. Everyone points to PL footballers to dip in to their pockets (on top of any other commitments they have towards local communities/charities/hospitals) but no one goes for the multi-billionaires that choose to 'live' elsewhere to avoid tax... 

22 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

1 percent of the population is about 400 million people. I get your point but for me the value of human life is more important

It's like 0.6% really that die but the point is you have more chance of being run over than dying of this and nearly everyone that has died has been in a bad way with other illnesses  ..the average death rate in the UK is 9,300 a year so got to see where we are at the end of year  ..if it's around the national average it's time to disappear off the grid!

15 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

It's like 0.6% really that die but the point is you have more chance of being run over than dying of this and nearly everyone that has died has been in a bad way with other illnesses  ..the average death rate in the UK is 9,300 a year so got to see where we are at the end of year  ..if it's around the national average it's time to disappear off the grid!

I actually got my maths a bit wrong there I was working it out in about 5percent. I do get what you mean mate. But at the same time my parents are 63 and in the age range that is vulnerable.  So I don't think we can say it shouldn't be taken seriously. I don't think 0.6 is right the last estimates I heard were between 1 and 5 percent.

20 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I actually got my maths a bit wrong there I was working it out in about 5percent. I do get what you mean mate. But at the same time my parents are 63 and in the age range that is vulnerable.  So I don't think we can say it shouldn't be taken seriously. I don't think 0.6 is right the last estimates I heard were between 1 and 5 percent.

What they should do is lockdown the old and sick but let the other 99% return to work. i get you are worried about parents etc but chances are they will be fine on less they have other health problems, the virus figures have been inflated, if you have terminal cancer but die of covid-19 they are counting that death from someone who is dying anyway   ..i want to see what the real death figuers are at the end of the year, by that i mean if the gouvenment told me the sky was blue i would have to go outside and check! 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

What they should do is lockdown the old and sick but let the other 99% return to work. i get you are worried about parents etc but chances are they will be fine on less they have other health problems, the virus figures have been inflated, if you have terminal cancer but die of covid-19 they are counting that death from someone who is dying anyway   ..i want to see what the real death figuers are at the end of the year, by that i mean if the gouvenment told me the sky was blue i would have to go outside and check! 

But there's people who are dying who didn't have any underlying health conditions, not just old and sick people? 

39 minutes ago, Stan said:

Or the clubs they play for can afford to pay them? 

I think what I agree most about with Rooney's comments is that footballers do get a rough ride compared to other mega-rich people. Everyone points to PL footballers to dip in to their pockets (on top of any other commitments they have towards local communities/charities/hospitals) but no one goes for the multi-billionaires that choose to 'live' elsewhere to avoid tax... 

They most definitely do and this was my point a couple of days ago about this situation and the furloughing of staff. They get a bad name for having the sheer propensity of accepting a contract offered to them by multi-millionaires/billionaires. 

It’s the business owners and in this instance, club owners, who should be strung up, not the footballers. If you’re telling me Mike Ashley, Daniel Levy or John Henry and the other Fenway lot cannot afford to pay casual staff the pittance (in comparison to the money these people have) they earn. 

Archived