• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Italy looking to end their season by 20th August. New season to potentially begin on 1st Sept if no further delays within that time...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52747210

Italy's football federation (FIGC) has set 20 August as the deadline for finishing the season, with the new campaign starting on 1 September.

The current season has been on pause since mid-March because of coronavirus but the FIGC still intends to finish the top three divisions.

There are still 12 rounds of matches remaining in Serie A, while four other games are also outstanding.

Juventus, chasing a ninth successive title, lead the table by a point.

The federation also announced that if any of the top three divisions should restart and then stop again, a shorter alternative of a play-off would have to be devised.

However, if it was not possible to complete the season even with play-offs, it would implement a coefficient system.

Serie C presents the biggest challenge as it features 60 clubs, divided into three regional groups, with many in difficult financial situations.

10 hours ago, Stan said:

I know people don't like it behind closed doors but more football coming to screens. Polish League. 

Well, that's about 30% of the country happy given the amount of Polish living here now.

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52839425

Italy's Serie A will return on 20 June, the country's sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora has confirmed.

Serie A was suspended on 9 March, with Juventus leading the table by a point with 12 rounds of matches remaining.

Players returned to individual training earlier this month before group sessions restarted this week.

On 20 May the Italian football federation (FIGC) set a 20 August deadline for finishing the 2019-20 season.

The FIGC also said it intended for the top three divisions to be played to a conclusion and that if any of them should restart and then stop again, a shorter alternative of a play-off would have to be devised.

Massimo Cellino, who owns Serie A bottom side Brescia, said resuming was a "crazy decision".

"It's too much for the players," he told BBC World Service's World Football show.

"We stopped [training] for two months. It is dangerous to restart it playing three games a week. So I'm worried about injuries and the hot weather which is going to be terrible in Italy more than Germany."

But Udinese and Nigeria defender William Troost-Ekong said: "It's lifted everybody's spirits, As long as we can do it in the right way without too many risks and setting the right example for the country, I think it's a good thing to be doing."

Worrying for BAME players to restart as they are at higher risk from the cvid-19 dangers.

Is it really sensible to continue the leagues with the risk to the BAME players? As 'black lives matter' dont they?

Kick racism out of football.

• Subscriber

Welcome @cornerball!

All the precautions are in place and even if a player, regardless of whether they are BAME or not, does contract it, they will follow the isolation rules. They may be at a higher risk but they are professional athletes so there's an element of being not as high risk as somebody who doesn't exercise regularly etc.

No player is obligated to play if they don't think it is safe to do so.

As long as you're not just saying it because you're a West Ham fan and you're flirting with relegation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Interesting to see what kind of effect this could have later on. Hopefully no knock on effect in terms of cases. Promising sign regardless. 

Just now, Stan said:

Interesting to see what kind of effect this could have later on. Hopefully no knock on effect in terms of cases. Promising sign regardless. 

I think this is already being done in Switzerland actually!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Mpache said:

I think this is already being done in Switzerland actually!

I know. Didn't say it was the first to do it. Think Denmark have allowed fans in as well. 

Just now, Stan said:

I know. Didn't say it was the first to do it. Think Denmark have allowed fans in as well. 

I was genuinely surprised when I saw that, and it seems to be effective there. It won't be the same in every country. I know in some parts of South America the social distancing attendances would be a mess. However, I think it's been fairly successful in Switzerland so far.

• Subscriber

Union Berlin have a different kind of plan for next season. They said that stadium experience would be ruined by social distancing and bans on shouting and singing, so instead they offered to carry the costs of regularly testing all season holders and only let people with a negative test result not older than 24 hours to attend matches. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 05/06/2020 at 23:00, Pyfish said:

Welcome @cornerball!

All the precautions are in place and even if a player, regardless of whether they are BAME or not, does contract it, they will follow the isolation rules. They may be at a higher risk but they are professional athletes so there's an element of being not as high risk as somebody who doesn't exercise regularly etc.

No player is obligated to play if they don't think it is safe to do so.

As long as you're not just saying it because you're a West Ham fan and you're flirting with relegation?

Uh bro thats a robot 

Archived