• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Didn't expect it to be such a high figure and for it to be so soon. I was expecting that kind of thing in the new year, even for lower areas.

Interesting to see what the outcome of this is. Would love it to be successful and it's a great sign for fans returning but is it too early?!

• Subscriber

It'll be very difficult to decide who the tickets go to. And in some stadiums, a crowd of 4,000 is almost full. I know at Blundell Park, we already average 4,000 in the ground usually and I wouldn't feel comfortable going. If it's just home fans allowed, which to me would make sense, then you could open up the away end to home fans and manage the spread a little better, but if away fans are going to be allowed to travel, it's a nightmare waiting to happen.

There’s got to be more to come from it because 4,000 in League Two is typically a higher percentage of capacity than at Championship or Premier League level, so I reckon there may be some form of sliding scale, as there was in non-league football. In non-league football they have ground grading, which comes with a minimum attendance required for each level, so I imagine there may be something similar in league football. 

14 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Huddersfield’s chairman has said they’ll be losing money with a full 4,000 “capacity”. 

I can understand the problem a little more with clubs that bring in 20 thousand+ because you still have to have staff serving and stewards/security/police etc and the outlay for having that lot would probably cost more than the return on such small numbers... 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.isthmian.co.uk/trident-leagues-statement-covid-and-the-restart-64633

Another pause for the Southern, Isthmian and Northern Leagues, then. Understandable as some teams play in towns that are in Tier Three. Can’t see the season being fulfilled in its entirety now. 

There’s a couple of teams (I know Bracknell are one) that have played as few as five games in the Isthmian League this season, they can’t be expected to play 33 games between January and May. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an unpopular opinion: sports are essential with protocols. My mental health has been very good as of late, and I thank sports for that as it takes my mind of everything.

I never have suicidal thoughts, but someone who does will suffer without some sort of band-aid. I think entertainment in it's own right can be essential as it helps the mind. Also there's so many jobs within each sport.

Archived