talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Hancock criticising premier league players is a bit weird to me. A lot of players have already demonstrated extreme generosity and I’m sure most players would agree to a pay cut to help out the club staff that help them on a day to day basis. I do think the PFA are being pretty unreasonable.

But at the end of the day, isn’t Matt Hancock’s criticism better placed at the billionaire owners of clubs? Seems Joe Lewis and Mike Ashley, in particular are more worthy of that criticism.

Also focus on getting the NHS enough fucking testing kits, rather than just coming out and making a “footballers are paid too much!” - stupid twat.

If the government scheme is going to be used to pay 80% of staff wages whilst a wage bill of millions a month goes out to players doing nothing then that is mugging the state off. Pigs like Ashley are opportunists when it comes to money. 

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148955

Premier League clubs will ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect jobs as it was announced the season will not resume until "it is safe and appropriate to do so".

All clubs have agreed to put the proposed "combination of conditional reductions and deferrals" to players.

The Premier League will also give £125m to the EFL and National League, plus £20m to the National Health Service.

Clubs still intend on completing all league and cup fixtures.

"Any return to play will only be with the full support of government and when medical guidance allows," the Premier League said.

"It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May - and that the 2019-20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so."

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

UEFA stating they are expecting a return of domestic football to start in July 

I was hoping to go to either Barcelona vs Espanyol or vs Atletico this season, so I'm hoping it still ends up being possible and the summer would actually be better as it'll be fucking belting weather there then! Luckily I managed to see the last game before the season was suspended. It couldn't have been timed better.

Playing games from say, late June to August would work, then start the 2020-2021 club season late(in say October) and suspend all domestic cup competitions for 1 season so that the season can be finished in time for the summer, where it'll be the euros(and copa America) tournament. Then after that, everything could be resumed as normal.

But it's still all wishful thinking as this cunt of a virus could be with us for a good while yet unfortunately. What a big fuck up allround.

10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Footballers are an easy target. Instead of targeting players, it’s your Daniel Levy’s and Mike Ashley’s, multi million pound business owners, that should be getting this condemnation, not the players. 

Levy's a part owner of Spurs and is a face of their operations, but he's still doing Joe Lewis's bidding at the end of the day, considering Lewis has the bulk of the shares in the club & Levy wouldn't have his job unless Lewis was happy with him. And while Levy's obviously very very very wealthy, by virtue of being the "face" of Spurs... Joe Lewis is his multibillionaire boss at the end of the day so he should get more of the blame than Levy. Although idk if Levy was behind trying to take advantage of that 80% wages for staff scheme rather than Lewis. But I'll always be happy to level most of the blame as high up as you can reasonably go with it.

But yeah, what you said.

Love how Twitter has gone into Meltdown with some fans defending them. ‘But they’re still getting 100%!!!’. Not the fucking point is it? Liverpool are using 80% of government money to fund the fucking tea ladies, kit men and other staff whilst a small drop in wages from the players could easily support those savings that they’ll apparently make.

And its not just because it‘s Liverpool. If United do this, they’ll be a set of cunts too, along with every other team. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Love how Twitter has gone into Meltdown with some fans defending them. ‘But they’re still getting 100%!!!’. Not the fucking point is it? Liverpool are using 80% of government money to fund the fucking tea ladies, kit men and other staff whilst a small drop in wages from the players could easily support those savings that they’ll apparently make.

And its not just because it‘a Liverpool. If United do this, they’ll be a set of cunts too, along with every other team. 

Agreed. The replies are hilariously embarrassing xD

I'd be livid if Leicester did it. 

6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

And its not just because it‘a Liverpool. If United do this, they’ll be a set of cunts too, along with every other team. 

There's always some weirdos that think they have to defend anything their own club does.

Unfortunately there's been a few instances of pure greed over the last few years by those running the club. From the attempt to increase ticket prices to £77 to the liverbird trademark. They've either backed down or lost in those situations. I just don't get why from a PR point of view why they try to get away with these things. Learn from your mistakes. They'd already seen the reaction to Spurs and Newcastle following the same route too!

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

There's always some weirdos that think they have to defend anything their own club does.

Unfortunately there's been a few instances of pure greed over the last few years by those running the club. From the attempt to increase ticket prices to £77 to the liverbird trademark. They've either backed down or lost in those situations. I just don't get why from a PR point of view why they try to get away with these things. Learn from your mistakes. They'd already seen the reaction to Spurs and Newcastle following the same route too!

This is the thing for me. You’ve seen how badly it’s gone for those clubs, and yet here they are doing the same, but passing it off like paying the 20% means they have morals. It’s disgraceful from every club doing this. Those amounts wouldn’t even dent the average weekly wage of some of the average squad players.

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

28 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

This is the thing for me. You’ve seen how badly it’s gone for those clubs, and yet here they are doing the same, but passing it off like paying the 20% means they have morals. It’s disgraceful from every club doing this. Those amounts wouldn’t even dent the average weekly wage of some of the average squad players.

Likewise. 

I just cannot see the logic in asking for government money when the club/owners themselves are billionaires and as Phil said, reducing the player's wages (or perhaps those that earn over a certain amount?) would cover the cost for such staff who they've asked to furlough. 

On 31/03/2020 at 21:55, Rick said:

Think its discusting that a club like Newcastle or Spurs even have the cheek to think about using a government scheme for their employees. Fucking players at both clubs need to have a word with themselves, even sacrificing 20% of their wage would be able to pay those staff. I'd be seriously pissed off if Liverpool did this sort of shite

You are going to be seriously pissed off.

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

I am totally against this, All of the players and clubs should have stepped up and covered their own staff who are on miniscule wages by comparison some time ago instead of all this happening, How any player can sit and be comfortable on anywhere between 80-150K a week at these top clubs while not currently playing and earning that money and watch people they work alongside struggle and be out of work is beyond me, Morally wrong in every respect.. I know that there are a few out there that are saying negotiations may be going on in the background about what players may or may not be doing but it should have been first on the list of things to cut back on... Worst part for me is that they may eventually have to do it and it won't be because they wanted to do the right thing but because they are shamed into doing it... 

Fucking joke... 

Archived