• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Coronavirus and Football

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Wayne Rooney of all people suggested this and it's the best suggestion I've seen put forwards.

No idea how you phase back to the normal August-May season unless you have a “mini” season in 2022 to go back to normal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

No idea how you phase back to the normal August-May season unless you have a “mini” season in 2022 to go back to normal. 

I was wondering this as well.

One option would be after the 2022 World Cup, so around Feb - May/June, you could play the Cup competitions? It may look a bit odd and you'd have teams having longer breaks if they get knocked out. Or play the international tournaments/qualifiers as well in that period to fill up some space. Would also mean players get proper breaks in the normal 22/23 season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stan said:

I was wondering this as well.

One option would be after the 2022 World Cup, so around Feb - May/June, you could play the Cup competitions? It may look a bit odd and you'd have teams having longer breaks if they get knocked out. Or play the international tournaments/qualifiers as well in that period to fill up some space. Would also mean players get proper breaks in the normal 22/23 season. 

If the coronavirus doesn’t kill teams, that most likely will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could just permanently move to February - November seasons :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

If the coronavirus doesn’t kill teams, that most likely will. 

Why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Why? 

You think teams can survive on potentially one or two games from February to August? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

You think teams can survive on potentially one or two games from February to August? 

Maybe they can play some friendlies, some mini-tournaments. I don't know :what:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Maybe they can play some friendlies, some mini-tournaments. I don't know :what:

Can’t see that working. I personally think you’d need a “mini-season” between February-May to bring it back into line with the August - May season we have. You have seventeen weekends between the start of February and the end of May.

Seventeen weekends and a few midweek games is enough for the Premier League sides to play each other once, for example.  Twenty-three games at EFL level seems a lot over seventeen weekends though. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Can’t see that working. I personally think you’d need a “mini-season” between February-May to bring it back into line with the August - May season we have. You have seventeen weekends between the start of February and the end of May.

Seventeen weekends and a few midweek games is enough for the Premier League sides to play each other once, for example.  Twenty-three games at EFL level seems a lot over seventeen weekends though. 

Isn't there meant to be an allotted time between World Cup and domestic football starting again? Not sure the date the World Cup is scheduled to finish. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stan said:

Isn't there meant to be an allotted time between World Cup and domestic football starting again? Not sure the date the World Cup is scheduled to finish. 

 

18th December. So you may be able to squeeze in an extra weekend or two, depending on the grace period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Domestic football during the peak summer months would be better anyway. I wouldn't be against a permanent switch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Domestic football during the peak summer months would be better anyway. I wouldn't be against a permanent switch

Not sure you’d get a long-term buy in from some European countries who have great weather during the summer months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stan said:

 

Hancock was asked a question. That’s why it came up you thick fuck. Footballers so full of themselves that they think the health secretary mentioned them at his press conference because they were actually on the fucking Agenda set. Bellend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Hancock was asked a question. That’s why it came up you thick fuck. Footballers so full of themselves that they think the health secretary mentioned them at his press conference because they were actually on the fucking Agenda set. Bellend.

Hancock was asked and I think I mentioned when he addressed it that it was a sly question from the Times journalist. Almost cornering Hancock so he had to give an answer that made footballers look worse.

I think Rooney's annoyance stems from the fact no-one else gets targeted - it's always PL footballers and perhaps not the billionaires in other fields or the companies that avoid tax etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Hancock was asked and I think I mentioned when he addressed it that it was a sly question from the Times journalist. Almost cornering Hancock so he had to give an answer that made footballers look worse.

I think Rooney's annoyance stems from the fact no-one else gets targeted - it's always PL footballers and perhaps not the billionaires in other fields or the companies that avoid tax etc. 

Premier League footballers will always get targeted when their clubs use public money to fund the lowest paid staff. What else does he expect? I know it’s not the footballers fault persay, but the comparisons will always be there. Also, they should probably stop doing things like visiting mates or getting prostitutes over :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They can afford to take the hit so the taxpayer can pay for people that REALLY need government assistance. A club with billions bankrolling it isn't in need of a government handout.

Of course they're not but I don't think any business owner wants to be in the situation of paying staff for no reason. People making the comparison to players is quite dumb in my opinion as Liverpool were hardly going to furlough the pay of players... would've been ridiculous if they did. I'm sure they just thought this would be a way for everyone to still get paid and they take less of a hit. As I said though, it's not worth the bad PR and Liverpool seem to have come round to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunderland have furloughed their first team. Promising to pay difference in salaries so no one takes a pay cut. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 6666 said:

Of course they're not but I don't think any business owner wants to be in the situation of paying staff for no reason. People making the comparison to players is quite dumb in my opinion as Liverpool were hardly going to furlough the pay of players... would've been ridiculous if they did. I'm sure they just thought this would be a way for everyone to still get paid and they take less of a hit. As I said though, it's not worth the bad PR and Liverpool seem to have come round to that.

I mean I understand why the owners tried it - the same reason they’ve tried doing a lot of other pro-corporate moves that have rubbed the fan base the wrong way. They’re American business owners, they own other sports sides in America where it’s very normal for these expensive teams owned by the ultra wealthy getting a government handout.

But they try to play up the whole “This Means More” shite and you big up a club’s socialist ethos and then pull something like this, where a billionaire can afford to look after his own and let the community have the taxpayer assistance.

At the end of the day, it’s worth more to FSG that the supporters view them as “the good guys” and that’s why when they’ve faced strong opposition from our fans they’ve backed down. But it is strange that they keep trying shite like this, probably trying to see what they can get away with without getting stick for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season extended, including contracts and a different transfer window. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EFL season can be finished in 56 days...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52230105

Quote

 

The English Football League season can be completed in 56 days when it is safe to resume amid the coronavirus pandemic, clubs have been told.

But it is assumed that matches will be played behind closed doors.

A letter sent to all 72 EFL clubs by chairman Rick Parry said no training should resume until at least 16 May.

The EFL said it was hopeful the campaign could finish in the summer, but there is still no indication of when it might begin again.

All 24 sides in the Championship still had nine matches to play when the league was suspended on 13 March, while some clubs in League One have 12 games remaining.

But the EFL estimates it can finish all fixtures within two months, including the play-offs.

"How and when we return (including training) is clearly subject to change and any decisions will be taken in conjunction with the government and relevant health authorities," the letter said.

"It is our working assumption at this stage that matches will be played behind closed doors when we eventually return and as part of our contingency planning we are absolutely mindful of the need to try and mitigate the cost of this to clubs as best we can."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2020 at 07:58, tlr said:

We could just permanently move to February - November seasons :ph34r:

Would love that tbh, more football in the sun. A great thing about Australian sport is that it’s always hot, suns out, beers on a hill etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FA have ratified decision to end the season for divisions below National League level.

National League has asked clubs to vote in favour of ending regular season up to 25th April and then discuss outcome of season after that.

Scottish season suspended until 10th June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Danny said:

Would love that tbh, more football in the sun. A great thing about Australian sport is that it’s always hot, suns out, beers on a hill etc.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist in football but I am certainly open to it. On a practical level for one it gets rid of the problem of dismal British winters ruining pitches for half the year, and as a fan matches in decent weather are a just better than playing in the freezing cold and rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stan said:

FA have ratified decision to end the season for divisions below National League level.

National League has asked clubs to vote in favour of ending regular season up to 25th April and then discuss outcome of season after that.

Scottish season suspended until 10th June.

I wasnt really paying attention but on Talksport they mentioned something like all Scottish leagues are below SPL and they're figuring out teams expected point averages based on teams still to play? 

If West Ham drop in the bottom three I'm all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I wasnt really paying attention but on Talksport they mentioned something like all Scottish leagues are below SPL and they're figuring out teams expected point averages based on teams still to play? 

If West Ham drop in the bottom three I'm all for it.

Yeah, they’re voting in Scotland to end the season now and go off teams’ average points per game to decide it, which means relegation for Hearts, Partick and Stranraer, but not Brechin and league wins for Dundee United, Raith and Cove.

They need 9/12 votes in favour from the Scottish Prem, 8/10 from the Championship sides and 15/20 of L1 and L2 clubs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement