talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus and Football

football forum

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Gold

On the one hand I love shitting on Bertie, on the other he is absolutely right in that if Jay fucking Bothroyd was in hospital from the virus it'd get a topic, but no love for non premier league connected players. 

It all links back to Lahm being better than Ashley Cole see. 

We know you love giving me a hard time, I don't mind you at all ;) 

You've hit the nail on the head though. Norman Hunter got a thread. He was a very good player and I do have affection to him as my dad is a Leeds fan since the 1970's, but the disrespect towards Chumpitaz is disgusting. If it happened to Solano, they would have left the thread and Solano is not even close to Chumpitaz as an icon.

It is what it is though, I accept the decision to merge the thread as it's something small, but I do disagree with it. 

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on Chumpitaz

He's now been put in the hospital. I think in intensive care. His son confirmed on Facebook last night. Though I think he still hasn't done the Covid-19 test. Stable though.

On 30/04/2020 at 22:02, Danny said:

Was sent a voice memo on WhatsApp that is apparently the Bristol Rovers manager communicating to his team....not sure if it is authentic but it said the leagues are looking at promotion and no relegation, so 23 teams in the prem

How that will work out I don’t know 

It’s authentic, Bristol Rovers released a statement saying they were aware it had been leaked and weren’t happy. 

Makes no sense to me promoting three sides at each level, to me. 

Reports this morning are that Premier League games could be back 12th June. Players back in training 18th May.

But other outlets suggesting lockdown will be until 26th May. Can't see how non-essential football can train before that date.

• Subscriber

Perfect way for them to scrap the league cup blaming it on increased fixture congestion for Premier League clubs whilst pointing to Covid 19 as if that means it wasn't their fault to choose to add . But that's fine because the League Cup is apparently pointless because the only six clubs in the country that matter don't see it as a priority and a load of dumb fans think it's not a credible competition anymore because Liverpool put out their kids against MK Dons in the 3rd round.

38 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Perfect way for them to scrap the league cup blaming it on increased fixture congestion for Premier League clubs whilst pointing to Covid 19 as if that means it wasn't their fault to choose to add . But that's fine because the League Cup is apparently pointless because the only six clubs in the country that matter don't see it as a priority and a load of dumb fans think it's not a credible competition anymore because Liverpool put out their kids against MK Dons in the 3rd round.

The Football League were happy for Liverpool to play a team of kids in the quarter final instead of rearranging though which doesn't do the competition any favours at all

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Or teams could stop going to fucking ridiculous places like Asia and Australia in pre-season then crying about being tired come November or December.

The League Cup should stay, those that are in Europe each season should not have to take part. They can concentrate on getting themselves out of the Europa League at the earliest opportunity, while doing all they can domestically to qualify for it again, those that aren’t in Europe have a trophy that offers them a more realistic chance of a quantifiable success and the neutral gets cup finals with different winners each year because no one wants to watch City win it every year. 

• Administrator
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

Or teams could stop going to fucking ridiculous places like Asia and Australia in pre-season then crying about being tired come November or December.

The League Cup should stay, those that are in Europe each season should not have to take part. They can concentrate on getting themselves out of the Europa League at the earliest opportunity, while doing all they can domestically to qualify for it again, those that aren’t in Europe have a trophy that offers them a more realistic chance of a quantifiable success and the neutral gets cup finals with different winners each year because no one wants to watch City win it every year. 

Couldn't agree more, especially with the first 2 sentences!

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Said it all along. English football's being exposed for what it really is nowadays - just one massive greed fest. The decisions will be made entirely based on finance.

On 02/05/2020 at 12:31, Harvsky said:

Reports this morning are that Premier League games could be back 12th June. Players back in training 18th May.

But other outlets suggesting lockdown will be until 26th May. Can't see how non-essential football can train before that date.

I can't see it at all. I just don't get the big fuss of trying to force this season through. It's so daft.

Why they couldn't just wait and resume it when it's safe to do so (and by safe, I mean when fans CAN attend), I don't know. Everything else can be worked out around that.

But there just seems to be so much panic to get things done and for what, to start a new season in front of no fans again potentially?

Haha, you've got to laugh.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Why they couldn't just wait and resume it when it's safe to do so (and by safe, I mean when fans CAN attend), I don't know. Everything else can be worked out around that.

But there just seems to be so much panic to get things done and for what, to start a new season in front of no fans again potentially?

£££££££

There's pressure for leagues to finish to avoid fines/financial punishments for associations and maybe clubs within those. It's immoral of course. 

I have no idea how long it'll be before fans can safely attend. Maybe when there's a vaccine readily available and you can prove you had it? That's several months away though, surely. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I can't see it at all. I just don't get the big fuss of trying to force this season through. It's so daft.

Haha, you've got to laugh.

I do think now that other leagues have taken the decision to stop, there's now genuine reason to want to get it finished even if I don't particularly like or agree with it.

There is simply no fair way of dealing with this. The fairest option by a mile (pausing until about September and moving the next two years to February to November) went out of the window a while ago.

Football's lack of contingency plan, England in-particular, is pretty poor in my opinion - at least the French have implemented a rule that they had. England had no such plan in place.

Oh and this new idea today of playing the season out with no relegation is so laughable it's beyond belief. So by default everyone from about 8th down has nothing to play for. Integrity my arse. Corrupt as anything.

Anyway with all the excitement Coronavirus is bringing today would have been the final league game to ever be played at Griffin Park, potentially the last ever.

In the interest of balance, after the joke I made about the potential denial of Liverpool winning the league and Leeds going up it's funny that Liverpool maybe crowned champions, Leeds maybe promoted and not only will we stay down another year we'll also miss the big send off for Griffin Park xD @Dr. Gonzo @Lucas

Anyway, a pub on each corner, old school charm, two terraces and stands so close to the pitch you can throw snowballs at the opposing goalkeeper in the winter..

Griffin Park - Brentford - London - The Stadium Guide

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

Anyway with all the excitement Coronavirus is bringing today would have been the final league game to ever be played at Griffin Park, potentially the last ever.

In the interest of balance, after the joke I made about the potential denial of Liverpool winning the league and Leeds going up it's funny that Liverpool maybe crowned champions, Leeds maybe promoted and not only will we stay down another year we'll also miss the big send off for Griffin Park xD @Dr. Gonzo @Lucas

Anyway, a pub on each corner, old school charm, two terraces and stands so close to the pitch you can throw snowballs at the opposing goalkeeper in the winter..

That’s shit mate, fuck this virus

33 minutes ago, Danny said:

It is a shame that, a real old school ground that had so much character. Would have been nice if its farewell had been to see you guys go up to the top flight but not to be sadly. A couple of teams of ex-League teams, York City and Boston United, have also lost their historic homes this season literally with no chance for a proper send off. Must be such an shit feeling. 

What's your thoughts on the new ground anyway? Looks decent if nothing else, has a bit of individuality which is more than you can say for most new grounds I guess.

4 minutes ago, tlr said:

It is a shame that, a real old school ground that had so much character. Would have been nice if its farewell had been to see you guys go up to the top flight but not to be sadly. A couple of teams of ex-League teams, York City and Boston United, have also lost their historic homes this season literally with no chance for a proper send off. Must be such an shit feeling. 

What's your thoughts on the new ground anyway? Looks decent if nothing else, has a bit of individuality which is more than you can say for most new grounds I guess.

I think the owner will do everything in his power to allow us a final day at Griffin Park, whether it's in a resumed season or an entirely new season. The new ground itself is not built yet but mostly ready, it will require some test events beforehand as well so I imagine if football is to be played and stadiums are to be packed out again we'll have a period there where we can play at Griffin Park

Fortunately the building of our new stadium is largely funded by the building of the block of flats surrounding it, so I hope we won't need to be in a massive hurry to knock Griffin Park down and turn it into flats

Update on Chumpitaz

His situation still isn't terrible. Let's hope it stays that way and he recovers. He's 76, so he's in the danger zone when it comes to age, but so far it appears to be mild. 

Just a little bit of a story. I posted this photo on here years ago, but I actually met Chumpitaz a few years ago. His son is a coach for the Hector Chumpitaz academy and I got to talk to him. I asked him if I could talk to his father and he accepted. I met him at Universitario's training ground, took a photo and he drove me home. 

On the way home, he invited me to dinner. I accepted, we went to eat Ceviche. What an absolute don, incredible man. Very humble and didn't care about his fame when it came to meeting me. Just treated me as any friend. I also let my dad talk to him over the phone, someone who actually got to see him play.

While we were eating, we made jokes about the whole "Capitan de America" how serious he was and how he wouldn't take bullshit. When he was a player, he was touted as the best captain in the western hemisphere for context. "Captain of America". 

Will continue updating his situation.

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, sky, outdoor and nature

Just now, Stan said:

He looks fine to me? I see social distancing isn't a thing though.

Nice try.

Could have worked if I didn't say this ;) 

10 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I posted this photo on here years ago

4 hours ago, Danny said:

When all's said and done, it would be gutting not to have that final match, that last send off, of a place that's held so many memories for you.

I am gutted for you and I mean that, especially if that's how it turns out.

I don't know the in's and out's but it would have been nice if they could have come up with a special agreement to leave the place as it was so the next time football could be played with fans, you had a one match deal to play one last time there.

2 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Update on Chumpitaz

His situation still isn't terrible. Let's hope it stays that way and he recovers. He's 76, so he's in the danger zone when it comes to age, but so far it appears to be mild. 

Just a little bit of a story. I posted this photo on here years ago, but I actually met Chumpitaz a few years ago. His son is a coach for the Hector Chumpitaz academy and I got to talk to him. I asked him if I could talk to his father and he accepted. I met him at Universitario's training ground, took a photo and he drove me home. 

On the way home, he invited me to dinner. I accepted, we went to eat Ceviche. What an absolute don, incredible man. Very humble and didn't care about his fame when it came to meeting me. Just treated me as any friend. I also let my dad talk to him over the phone, someone who actually got to see him play.

While we were eating, we made jokes about the whole "Capitan de America" how serious he was and how he wouldn't take bullshit. When he was a player, he was touted as the best captain in the western hemisphere for context. "Captain of America". 

Will continue updating his situation.

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, sky, outdoor and nature

Brian, you are a very quirky character and I don't always agree with you but this ex player obviously means a lot to you and I can relate to that.

Never heard of the bloke, not to be disrespectful but he is an idol of yours, you've met him which is nice, so fingers crossed for him.

Its fucking shit to lose icons that represent our club and country, like Norman Hunter to this shithouse of a virus so hopefully fingers crossed, most of them stay safe so we don't lose too many more.

Archived