talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, shut up said:

Nothing. Ignore panna king, he's worse than the sun

City are resigned to losing Arteta and will not stand in his way, but are expected to be less than flexible when it comes to both the amount of compensation and the payment schedules agreed with Arsenal.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.13a53add2e5674ba6e565feb2dbb5641.png

Mikel Arteta set to be announced as Arsenal boss as Josh Kroenke flies back to the US after approving three-and-a-half-year deal worth £5m a season

Arsenal director Josh Kroenke has returned to America and is poised to approve Mikel Arteta's appointment as the club's new manager.

Arteta's return to the Emirates Stadium is at an advanced stage following talks with the club's kingmakers — head of football Raul Sanllehi, technical director Edu, managing director Vinai Venkatesham and head of football operations Huss Fahmy.

Josh Kroenke, son of Gunners owner Stan, has spent an extended period in England to help smooth the transition following the sacking of Unai Emery this month.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7803027/Mikel-Arteta-set-new-Arsenal-manager-deal-worth-nearly-5m-season.html

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Both Arsenal and Everton are taking a while to gets things over the line, I imagine a lot of it is legal wrangling and who gets paid what. Like everything in life.

They were talking with Arteta for a week or more without even contacting and discussing compensation to City. It’s understandable City would be annoyed with Arsenal

This is probably the first big act of Edu’s reign at Arsenal, interesting to see how it pans out. Arsenal’s first eleven isn’t beyond repair it just lacks a spine and for me requires a top class centre back and centre mid to partner Guendouzi. Then they can work the rest of the squad out

• 2 weeks later...

That's really shit about Chambers.

I also think Arteta looks a lot less of a risk now that we've actually seen him manage Arsenal. I think he'll actually do quite well with them - you can see he's already done a lot in terms of imposing a style of play and the Arsenal midfield actually has played a few matches where the players look like they've been given defined roles and they don't look like headless chickens just running around anymore.

And them fading in the second half of matches is understandable, given what David Luiz and Sokratis said after the match yesterday - they admitted that currently the Arsenal players don't have the fitness to press with the intensity Arteta wants them playing with for 90 minutes. That's going to come with more time on the training ground and more matches where they play in his playstyle.

So for this season with Arsenal at this stage, yeah you hope you can finish as high as possible because that's what all football clubs try to do, but the important thing is that the new man gets his philosophy implemented and the players all reading off the same page.

If Arsenal can actually get Xhaka performing like he did before they signed him, because he was actually really good in Germany, they'll be very happy. And considering how it was looking with his Arsenal future not that long ago, that's seriously impressive.

• Upvote 1

@Gunnersauraus @shut up @6666 @Chaaay AFC @...Dan... and other Arsenal fans that I’m sure I forgot (sorry)

Its still early days... very early days, but I think these first signs of Arteta’s Arsenal are really promising.

So lads, you think you’ll be active in this transfer window? And if so, who do you think is coming in?

I suspect we’re done with our business and I want to see Arsenal good again... so if you’ve got any good hype coming our way, I’d love to hear it.

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

@Gunnersauraus @shut up @6666 @Chaaay AFC @...Dan... and other Arsenal fans that I’m sure I forgot (sorry)

Its still early days... very early days, but I think these first signs of Arteta’s Arsenal are really promising.

So lads, you think you’ll be active in this transfer window? And if so, who do you think is coming in?

I suspect we’re done with our business and I want to see Arsenal good again... so if you’ve got any good hype coming our way, I’d love to hear it.

Very happy so far, it's still very early days though and once the honeymoon ends it'll really show how good he is. I was very impressed by him yesterday it was by far his best work of the season. The first half was so typical of us, we've seen them sort of performances for years. Players playing with no care and like they shouldn't be involved because it's an early round of the cup, but he gave them such a kick up the arse it was refreshing to watch. Previously players would have got away with it because most fans including me would just blame it on selection, but sometimes it's all about application and it showed in the second half. 

Another positive is the players seem to have a lot of respect for him, he looks like he won't take any shit which is good as he has a difficult group of leaders and personalities in the squad. I do think Emery who is getting a lot of unjust criticism right now tried to change the culture but wasn't really backed by the fans or the players which ultimately was his demise, but early signs show Arteta is dealing very well with it. As I've said we just have to wait and see how the season plays out, he has a bit of free pass this season so it'll only be until next season where he will be the one or not. 

As for transfers, I wouldn't expect anything other than a loan and even that seems unlikely. Only thing I can see us doing is getting another body in at CB as Chambers is out and Mustafi possibly leaving. 

• Subscriber

Can't be bothered posting a link or quotes as I'm on lunch and at work, but I really liked Arteta's interview after the Leeds game. Basically said he could tell from the players' attitude post-United win that they'd be complacent in the first half against Leeds.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.da6d15dbf922d21b980ab018aebd0303.png

Billionaire Aliko Dangote plots Arsenal takeover 'in 2021'

Nigerian billionaire Aliko Dangote has again declared his intention to buy Arsenal. 

African billionaire Aliko Dangote has sensationally claimed he is looking to buy Arsenal in 2021.

Dangote, who is estimated to be the richest man in Africa, has a net worth of more than £8.5billion through his business exploits.

The Nigerian has been linked with takeover bids for Arsenal, who are owned by Kroenke Sports & Entertainment (KSE), in the past.

Indeed Dangote told Reuters in 2018: “We will go after Arsenal from 2020… even if somebody buys, we will still go after in.”

The 62-year-old, however, has now moved his position after explaining how he is currently focusing on a number of business projects.

“It is a team (Arsenal) that yes I would like to buy some day, but what I keep saying today is we have $20billion worth of projects and that's what I really want to concentrate on,” Dangote told the David Rubenstein Show.

“I'm trying to finish building the company and then after we finish, maybe some time in 2021 we can.

“I'm not buying Arsenal right now, I'm buying Arsenal when I finish all these projects, because I'm trying to take the company to the next level.”

Arsenal owners KSE have come under fire in recent months from sections of the club’s fan base.

In the summer a number of different supporters’ groups united under the campaign ‘We Care Do You’ to lobby against the current running of the club.

KSE, however, revealed in August through an interview with director Josh Kroenke that they were committed to Arsenal and guiding them back to the top of the Premier League.

“It's important for them to know how passionate we are,” he told the BBC. 

“When I met with some of the fans' groups last season I told them that trust is earned over time and I would love for you to trust me now but unfortunately that trust has to play out over the next several years. 

“We're just getting started and hopefully we'll start to earn more and more trust with the more and more work we put in.

“The Emirates is a place that is always going to be special to me and my family. I'm excited about being here, hopefully, a long time.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/aliko-dangote-arsenal-takeover-2021-a4333246.html

• 3 weeks later...

What's the view on Arteta so far then? Too early to judge of course but are you seeing a style at least attempting to be delivered? I've not seen you really but watched the Burnley game, thought you were decent first half but then it was Burnley in the ascendancy for the rest of it. Do you think Arteta is going to just imitate how Pep sets up, in which case surely many signings are needed as your midfield doesn't seem like one which can hold possession? Patience required, this build could 4-5 years but certainly interesting to see how gets one.

I'm not an Arsenal fan (obviously) but I do think Arteta's done well to implement a style - and yeah, it's pretty similar to how Pep would set up Arsenal. I think the problem with Arsenal compared to Manchester City is that the Arsenal squad's got a lot less quality for this kind of football than City does - and there's other issues like the players not being able to maintain a high press for 90 minutes.

Some shite like conditioning players for more intense football or clearing out deadwood that's not helping Arsenal be at the level they want to be at... that's not going to happen overnight. And that's not even going to happen after a transfer window (especially a January transfer window).

But I think the biggest issue with Emery, bar taking an unbalanced side and somehow building an even more unbalanced side, was the lack of identity on the pitch at Arsenal. The results might not be too different from the previous manager, but I think Arsenal have a shitload of problems that Arteta's job is to clear up. I do think he's setting the foundation by establishing a style he wants to play in and he's got the rest of the season to implement his tactics and see which of his current players fit in with his vision and which ones don't.

I think after years of Arsenal fans saying they've been mismanaged, they're taking baby steps in the right direction. I do think they'll need to be patient, as it's a novice manager - but you can see what he's trying to implement on the pitch. Just because Arsenal's current crop of players might not be the best fit, doesn't mean it's not worth backing this manager.

I think both Everton & Arsenal made the right decisions regarding Ancelotti/Arteta - even though at the time many people were questioning why Arsenal went with the rookie (which ultimately I think is because of his style/vision) over the man with pedigree (which I think Everton need more because they've got this self-defeatist culture at Everton and proven winner can help them beat that).

I think Arsenal will be looking a lot different after the summer - I think a lot of players will come and go. And I also suspect Arsenal will be looking a lot healthier.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, True Blue said:

Is it true that Arteta complained about the grass being too long against Burnley?

Apparently so - he said the grass was long and it wasn't watered so not good to play football on. 

Burnley's response tickled me though on their Twitter page xD 

Burnley changed their Twitter header image to a shot of long grass following criticism from Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta

• Haha 1