talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

football forum

200px-Arsenal_FC.svg.png

Arsenal Football Club is a professional football club based in HighburyLondon, that plays in the Premier League, the top flight of English football. The club has won 13 League titles, 12 FA Cups (a joint record), two League Cups, 14 FA Community Shields, one UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and one Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

Arsenal was the first club from the South of England to join The Football League, in 1893. They entered the First Division in 1904, and have since accumulated the second most points. Relegated only once, in 1913, they continue the longest streak in the top division. In the 1930s, Arsenal won five League Championships and two FA Cups, and another FA Cup and two Championships after the war. In 1970–71, they won their first League and FA Cup Double. Between 1989 and 2005, they won five League titles and five FA Cups, including two more Doubles. They completed the 20th century with the highest average league position.

Herbert Chapman won Arsenal's first national trophies, but died prematurely. He helped introduce the WM formationfloodlights, and shirt numbers, and added the white sleeves and brighter red to Arsenal's kit. Arsène Wenger has been the longest-serving manager and has won the most trophies. His teams set several English records: the longest win streak; the longest unbeaten run; and the only 38 match season unbeaten.

All discussion relating to Arsenal that does not warrant it's own thread (i.e. - players signing new contracts, newspaper clippings etc...) should take place here.

What makes me laugh about Xhaka is that he seemed to be feeling humiliated at the fact he hadn't received a booking all game so he managed to argue his way into the referee's book on a free-kick we had already been awarded! xD

7 hours ago, SirBalon said:

What makes me laugh about Xhaka is that he seemed to be feeling humiliated at the fact he hadn't received a booking all game so he managed to argue his way into the referee's book on a free-kick we had already been awarded! xD

Mustafi or Xhaka for worst Arsenal transfers this decade?

FUCKING ALBANIANS M8

Im very sure they will announce wenger's renewal soon, once the team goes on a good run in the league after fucking off from europe where they will beat all the midtable clubs because wenger's beloved trophy is on the line. In the end it looks like they made it to the world cup final because of all those wins and winning the top 4 spot.

36 minutes ago, Spike said:

FUCKING ALBANIANS M8

I've said it before, Xhaka has a very good mid to long range pass on him and a more than decent shot.  But there are so many things that make him a just above average player.  He is also a liability where decision making is in question.

Mustafi on the other hand has been a tremendous signing mate.  He is top notch and has been our best centre-back this season, much better than Koscielny for me who is good but overrated.

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

I've said it before, Xhaka has a very good mid to long range pass on him and a more than decent shot.  But there are so many things that make him a just above average player.  He is also a liability where decision making is in question.

Mustafi on the other hand has been a tremendous signing mate.  He is top notch and has been our best centre-back this season, much better than Koscielny for me who is good but overrated.

Well, you're the only person that has said that about Mustafi.

59 minutes ago, Spike said:

FUCKING ALBANIANS M8

Both very good signings and both are quality players who have been completely mis-handled by Wenger. Xhaka has been put into a position to fail, we don't play to his strengths and he has been targeted by refs for his reputation. With Mustafi like any CB who played for us in the last 10 years they look awful because they are completely exposed. He is a fantastic CB as is Koscielny, but they are given no support. Honestly it's a poison chalice being a CB at Arsenal, we'd make Maldini and Baresi look bad.

41 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Both very good signings and both are quality players who have been completely mis-handled by Wenger. Xhaka has been put into a position to fail, we don't play to his strengths and he has been targeted by refs for his reputation. With Mustafi like any CB who played for us in the last 10 years they look awful because they are completely exposed. He is a fantastic CB as is Koscielny, but they are given no support. Honestly it's a poison chalice being a CB at Arsenal, we'd make Maldini and Baresi look bad.

You really think Xhaka is at the level required for a top side wanting to win top honours mate?

Let me put it another way...  The most important part of the field when you're facing the best sides in Europe is the midfield.  That's the area where you have to be superior so as to win.  You see Xhaka outdoing midfielders against teams like Bayern, Barça, Real Madrid, PSG or Juventus?

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

You really think Xhaka is at the level required for a top side wanting to win top honours mate?

Let me put it another way...  The most important part of the field when you're facing the best sides in Europe is the midfield.  That's the area where you have to be superior so as to win.  You see Xhaka outdoing midfielders against teams like Bayern, Barça, Real Madrid, PSG or Juventus?

Arsenal don't typically play those teams to win the league and FA Cup; or they not top honours anymore? 

Just now, Spike said:

Arsenal don't typically play those teams to win the league and FA Cup; or they not top honours anymore? 

I'm talking about when midfields clash at the top end.  Would you put Xhaka as outplaying some of those midfielders around Europe?  Without that you can't win unless you devise a plan to bypass the midfield which tends to mean either playing wide a lot or mainly long passes on a counter.

I'm talking about when midfields clash at the top end.  Would you put Xhaka as outplaying some of those midfielders around Europe?  Without that you can't win unless you devise a plan to bypass the midfield which tends to mean either playing wide a lot or mainly long passes on a counter.

Nobody said that Xhaka is the player needed to win the Champions League. Not every player in a squad needs to be world class and if Xhaka isn't the player to be depended on during the tight European moments doesn't mean he cannot be an important player in the other twenty games played in Europe. A team needs to get to playing Real Madrid and Barcelona before they worry about defeating Real Madrid and Barcelona.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nobody said that Xhaka is the player needed to win the Champions League. Not every player in a squad needs to be world class and if Xhaka isn't the player to be depended on during the tight European moments doesn't mean he cannot be an important player in the other twenty games played in Europe. A team needs to get to playing Real Madrid and Barcelona before they worry about defeating Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Mate, we DO play those sides and only last season we got knocked out by Barça and this season it seems we'll get knocked out by Bayern. You are right though in that players can be a sum of parts that make a good machine.  But the midfield is a sensitive area and an area we have been failing in for a number of years even with some very talented players in our squad.  Maybe it's as Chaaay says in that the manager is the one that's not getting the most out of players like Xhaka and I'm wrong.

I'm just giving my opinion by watching this guy and others I make a view point on most weeks at the ground.

Just now, SirBalon said:

Mate, we DO play those sides and only last season we got knocked out by Barça and this season it seems we'll get knocked out by Bayern. You are right though in that players can be a sum of parts that make a good machine.  But the midfield is a sensitive area and an area we have been failing in for a number of years even with some very talented players in our squad.  Maybe it's as Chaaay says in that the manager is the one that's not getting the most out of players like Xhaka and I'm wrong.

I'm just giving my opinion by watching this guy and others I make a view point on most weeks at the ground.

Yeah, DID play those teams but at this rate that won't be happening next season.

3 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

We should've got Rabiot when he couldn't get into the PSG team. He's starting now and shining.

I like Rabiot and made that clear in the place we've all just left.  He is one for the future in that department in my view although still not made and is prone to errors.  We could've bought Krychowiak from Sevilla for cheaper.

Edited by SirBalon

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Yeah, DID play those teams but at this rate that won't be happening next season.

Mate, I can only go on the stuff we have to analyse.  Obviously right now it's balanced as to whether or not we'll be in next season's edition of the Champions League.  Maybe it's a blessing in disguise so as to force Wenger out.

Mate, I can only go on the stuff we have to analyse.  Obviously right now it's balanced as to whether or not we'll be in next season's edition of the Champions League.  Maybe it's a blessing in disguise so as to force Wenger out.

There are more issues than just Champions League football. Arsenal get embarrassed on a consistent basis in the league and Arsenal will never have the mental fortitude to defeat Bayern Munich if they get smacked 3-1 by Liverpool and 2-1 by Watford. A teams that barely qualifies yearly for Champions League, a team that always gets knocked out at the Round of 16 has no rights thinking about how to defeat Real Madrid and Barcelona. Focus on domestic issues before Europe. Walk before running.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

There are more issues than just Champions League football. Arsenal get embarrassed on a consistent basis in the league and Arsenal will never have the mental fortitude to defeat Bayern Munich if they get smacked 3-1 by Liverpool and 2-1 by Watford. A teams that barely qualifies yearly for Champions League, a team that always gets knocked out at the Round of 16 has no rights thinking about how to defeat Real Madrid and Barcelona. Focus on domestic issues before Europe. Walk before running.

This is true what you're saying and I can't dispute that neither have I ever pretended to do it...  What I do try and do even though some Arsenal fans on TFF don't understand is put forward my opinions on solutions.  The whole thing is stale on the football side of things for years and the club heirachy mainly look at the figures and all that goes along with Arsenal Holdings PLC.

Edited by SirBalon