talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

Just now, Cannabis said:

AFTV hasn't half gone downhill, I feel sorry for the Arsenal fans that have to put up with this kind of shite and I support a club at the other end of the country. If it wasn't for DT who constantly comes out with sense I wouldn't bother watching any of it. 

This was just weird and A minute silence is well over the top, its like they are doing it to be part of something. There will be a minute silence before the game.

So what does all the Arsenal fans think about the season. Do you consider this a success with the cup win or a failure due to lack of proper ambition in premier and champions league campaigns? 

I consider this a failure because of the way arsenal played and also because of the humiliation in europe against bayern. Should be contending for the premier league along with chelsea and spurs with the squad we have. Hopefully Wenger stays very busy and active in summer transfer window and instead of just trying to some good players, he actually signs few. Lots of areas where good and new players are needed.

Assuming Ozil and Sanchez stays, the team still needs a good striker, replacement for Cazorla, Per and Cech. Also needs to get rid of a lot of dead weight like Walcott, Gabriel, Lucas and perhaps even Ramsey and needs to replace them all.

Tony adams has been having a dig at wenger again. I think it's quite stupid really consider he is a manager himself and his record is nothing short of terrible

4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Tony adams has been having a dig at wenger again. I think it's quite stupid really consider he is a manager himself and his record is nothing short of terrible

So only managers that have done similar things to Wenger can have an opinion?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Toony said:

Tony Adams is a bit of a wally though isn't he? Did he and Wenger have a fall-out when Adams was at Arsenal or has this just happened quite recently?

Well I posted this (below) a week or so ago which tells us a number of things about the relationship between Tony Adams and Arsene Wenger.  Adams is being facetious without a doubt, but it's his opinion and I don't understand how anyone could say he hasn't got a right to it especially trying to imply that because his coaching skills upto now haven't been all that good.  Lets not forget that Wenger has fallen out with various past Arsenal players he's coached.  Even Henry has spoken out against him.

On 5/19/2017 at 8:53 AM, SirBalon said:

nintchdbpict000001064189.jpg?strip=all&w

Tony Adams: "Wenger couldn't coach himself out of a paper bag"

LOOKING back, I believe there were a couple of major reasons why Arsene didn’t want me back at Arsenal.

First, the club had put up a statue of me outside the Emirates and — given the career I’d had — it might have been difficult for Arsene to bring me in at that time.

He was coming under pressure for not winning a major trophy and to have me around as a successful old captain might have highlighted the underachievement.

Patrick Vieira once suggested Arsene does not like big characters and personalities around, especially ones from Arsenal’s history.

Perhaps Arsene thought I might be too challenging for him.

He seemed to like an assistant such as Pat Rice or Steve Bould, both great club men who were not going to ruffle feathers.

Arsene is so dominant that he was probably not going to like it if I said, “We’re conceding bad goals, I’m going to take the back four today and organise them.”

Because Arsene is essentially not a coach — and that is the second reason why I believe he didn’t want me. Back in the day I said in an interview coaching wasn’t Arsene’s strong point.

Actually in the original draft, I said he couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag. And though I modified that in the final article, it didn’t go down well.

It all left me feeling that I would never get a chance in any capacity while Arsene was there.

Much as I respected him for his long and successful tenure, my occasional willingness to pass comment on him and the team probably counted against me.

Arsene was absolutely the best man for Arsenal when he had his English defence and more exotic overseas attacking talent.

He was also the perfect manager to keep Arsenal competitive with the big-money clubs during the transition from Highbury to the Emirates. But I do believe, after the departures of Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell in 2006, a lot was lost and never recaptured.

The replacement defenders have simply not been up to the same standard as what went before, because they have not been taught the art of defending properly.

I have seen players like Gael Clichy, Hector Bellerin and Kieran Gibbs coming to Arsenal and not progressing as they might have — and Per Mertesacker exposed because of a lack of protection.

_96112286_sun.png

I first tried to go back in early 2012, when I heard Pat Rice was retiring as Arsene’s assistant.

Pat confirmed he would definitely be going in May — but when I spoke to Arsene about it he said “Oh no. He won’t retire. He said that last year.”

He said he would be convincing Pat to stay, as he had done 12 months before. “Fair enough,” I said and shook his hand.

Then came Pat’s leaving do, which Arsene did not attend. I texted him again and asked if I could come to see him.

“I went to Pat’s leaving do and I understand there is a job going,” I said. “Oh no,” said Arsene. “I am moving Steve Bould and Neil ­Banfield up from the academy.” I ­texted Steve to congratulate him.

He texted back to say he knew nothing about it. Two days later, Arsenal announced that Steve and Neil were stepping up. The next day, I texted Arsene to ask if I could come to see him again about the vacancy in the academy.

This was three times in just over a month.

Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine began and I’d heard nothing. Arsene texted that I should talk to Ivan Gazidis and Liam Brady, as they were choosing the candidates.

I rang Liam — who said it was the manager’s decision — and emailed Ivan, who said it was Arsene and Liam deciding.

Then Liam rang, to tell me I was overqualified, they wanted somebody younger who they could train up. I was not going to let this go by now, having been messed about so much.

So I met Arsene yet again and this time he told me, “I see big things for you. You are a great coach and you will be the next manager of Arsenal.”

But I said, “Arsene, Arsene, Arsene,” proud I did not raise my voice or lose my temper.

“I have too much respect for you to fall out. It would have been better if you had just told me you didn’t want me.”

“No, it is not like that,” he replied. “You have got the wrong end of it.”

“Arsene, let’s forget it,” I said. “Have a wonderful season.”

Then there was the time when ex-chairman Peter Hill-Wood questioned where all the people who gave time and expertise — and ran football clubs for free, out of love — had gone.

I wrote to him. “I am in my 40s, I don’t need paying. I will advise about playing matters and the future, perhaps be Arsene’s long-term successor.”

The board needed someone like me, I reckoned. I never got a reply. So that was four attempts to come back — one to get on to the board, one to become Arsene’s assistant, one to do the reserves, then even the offer of a freebie.

But I still wasn’t done yet. My next one was partly tongue-in-cheek, to make a point.

Arsenal were advertising for a coach to take the Under-14s. I thought “f*** it. I’m going for it.”

I got a call from the HR department asking if I was ­serious, pointing out the modest salary of £15,000 a year and that it involved five nights a week in London and a Sunday game.

I said that, on reflection, it wasn’t for me, though had I lived nearer I would certainly have thought about it. It was the Arsenal, after all. It was the way Arsene dealt with it all, rather than not getting a job, that ­saddened and annoyed me.

He never liked confrontation. I recall a time when Ian Wright was getting in late for training most days. Arsene just made training later but the boys were fuming. We, as players, then told Wrighty to get his act together.

But in Arsene’s later years, I couldn’t envisage any other player having the authority to challenge him like that, which worries me.

In 2016, the European Under-17 Championships were held in Azerbaijan. I went and noticed Arsenal weren’t represented. I asked the chief scout if he’d like analyses.

He emailed me back adding: ‘There’s a vacancy for an Under-18 coach in the Arsenal academy.”

My relationship with Arsene had been warm for six months after my heart scare. He texted saying: “I admire your strength. Respect and love.” It prompted a bit of a text love-in. I texted him about the under-18 job and he just replied: “Good luck Tony.”

The salary would be £45,000 gross. I would give it a month.

Another club, this one a step up in the Chinese Super League, were interested. They were Chongqing Lifan, lower to mid-table.

Had the Arsenal money been better, I might have had second thoughts. There were people who thought I was wrong. Perhaps the big job would come up, they said.

It was not going to happen, though. It was made clear that the Under-18s was not preparation for bigger things, even if I was on the inside when Arsene left.

Of course I wanted — still want — to come back as Arsenal boss, but I don’t think I was seen as management material by the club.

Tony Adams: Arsene Wenger couldn't coach his way out of a paper ...

Tony Adams claims Arsene Wenger 'couldn't coach his way out of a ...

Tony Adams: Arsene Wenger 'couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag'

'Arsene Wenger couldn't coach his way out a paper bag' - Tony Adams ...

Tony Adams just comes across as bitter the more he goes on.

"He's got no friends", "he's not the best I've worked with", "he'd be sacked at Madrid after a year"....at Madrid he'd actually have money to compete with the rest.

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

In as many words he's pretty much confirmed that he's bitter. Wasn't he quoted as saying that Arsenal is like an ex wife that you absolutely hate but still have an ounce of love for? 

Something has him riled about the club and in turn Wenger, its just a shame that such a cult hero can let himself down like this.

He hates Wenger because of the way he kicked him out of the club apparently, no idea what that was.

I think the stupid amount of alcohol Adams swallowed some years back damaged a lot of his brain cells.  He does come out with some ridiculous things although in saying this, he has a right to his opinion no matter if it has an anterior motive.

30 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Well that's it for me.  Not renewing my season ticket 100%!

I don't care if we do the domestic treble next season...  I won't feel sorry for myself.

It's over.

Its ok as Arsenal think they still have lines of people waiting to get in the ground if people don't renew.  I believe that this is a myth as the Emirates is now over 10 years, people have already seen the ground if thats the only reason for their visit, there are only so many tourist football fans as well.  The prices at Arsenal are still ridiculous considering the little success they have had since this stadium,  the ground has been pretty empty a lot this year in certain games.    

Next season could really be a commercial disaster for Arsenal as they have never planned for finishing out of the top 4.   Half of the fans  might boycott buying the new shirts, renewing season tickets as the same problems will come again with clashes against Wenger and against other fans as the problem still remains for another 2 more years or further.     

Edited by VanPanna

9 hours ago, SirBalon said:

So only managers that have done similar things to Wenger can have an opinion?

No. But do you around saying that people who are better at your job than you are shit? 

33 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Well that's it for me.  Not renewing my season ticket 100%!

I don't care if we do the domestic treble next season...  I won't feel sorry for myself.

It's over.

I do remember you saying you would do that if he signs a new contract. Fait play to sticking to your guns

24 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER!!

Seriously this is a great day for teams hoping to break into the top four. Arsenal are going backwards with Arsene which suits clubs like Everton, Liverpool and Manchester United.

I don't think that's entirety fair considering we finished in the top 4 20 years in a row.

Personally not really happy think the club needs change

15 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

No. But do you around saying that people who are better at your job than you are shit? 

Vinny Jones was surely a better footballer than me (I think O.o) and yet I thought he was crap and said so...  Actually Sanogo is a better postman footballer than me and I will publicly state he's shit.  That's the most ridiculous statement ever mate...  Nobody's reduced to not having an opinion just because someone else is better than you at something.  Your opinion as a criticism is still valid.  Otherwise nobody in the football punditry business better ever say anything negative about Messi because they're not allowed in your opinion.

Edited by SirBalon

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I do remember you saying you would do that if he signs a new contract. Fait play to sticking to your guns

Definitely!  I've been complaining about Wenger for over 6 years now as I saw the writing on the wall, but back then I was rather unique in that sense and many refrained from doing so although questions were already being asked. The problem then is that Wenger had the mask of the supposed stadium repayments to cover his out of date football. Football has moved on and now he's copying other's tactical awareness although at a time when the pressure was no longer on the team which doesn't exactly count.

I'm not paying into Arsenal anymore!  That's it until I see fit.

22 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

Its ok as Arsenal think they still have lines of people waiting to get in the ground if people don't renew.  I believe that this is a myth as the Emirates is now over 10 years, people have already seen the ground if thats the only reason for their visit, there are only so many tourist football fans as well.  The prices at Arsenal are still ridiculous considering the little success they have had since this stadium,  the ground has been pretty empty a lot this year in certain games.    

Next season could really be a commercial disaster for Arsenal as they have never planned for finishing out of the top 4.   Half of the fans  might boycott buying the new shirts, renewing season tickets as the same problems will come again with clashes against Wenger and against other fans as the problem still remains for another 2 more years or further.     

There are plenty of fools in the world mate.  Plenty of people with too much money that will purchase season tickets and then you have the waiting list for corporate lots of seats waiting.  It's never ending and one year out of the Champions League won't stop people from investing in that sense as many will see it as a one off which it may well be because Wenger with Arsenal's resources is more than capable of regaining a top four slot so as to qualify to participate (because "participating" is where the limits are) in the Champions League.

Anyhow...  That's OUR club!  I think the overwhelming majority of the fans this season (admittedly not all)finally made themselves heard that they wanted Wenger to leave and the CLUB (don't you love the word club and just read a few times the definition of the word) thought better of it.

3 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Three major trophies in four years and a lowest finish of fifth in the league. It's not all bad once you take a step back.

Van Gaal finished 5th and won the FA Cup, he got sacked. Difference is Man Utd want more than just okay.

He has not competed for the title whatsoever in these past three seasons, although he said he would when he signed his last deal. Since his last contract he has been knocked out of Europe in the last 16 everytime and has been knocked out at that stage 7 times in a row. Now we are no longer in that competition whilst the rest of our rivals are. Now we find ourselves on the verge of losing our two best players because of their contracts, whilst given a bunch of other players like Chamberlain leverage because of his contact and so how are going to attract better players? We couldn't even get Jamie Vardy to sign here with Champions League football.

I see the point you're trying to make, but we're a big club who is not acting like one. Wenger would have been turfed out of any other top European team years ago.

8 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

Three major trophies in four years and a lowest finish of fifth in the league. It's not all bad once you take a step back.

That's true, but where the important stuff is concerned, we haven't been challenging for years.  It's the league and not domestic cup competitions that are a show of power.  It's been regressing for a long time now.  I get that argument though and to many that see it that way will almost definitely see the criticisms as over the top.  Anyway...  Be it whatever it may be, that's how I feel and many Arsenal fans feel that way too.  Who's right?  Maybe those that argue for Wenger to stay are or maybe not.