talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Aubameyang stripped off captaincy and not included in the match squad against West Ham for disciplinary breach. 

Anyone knows what he did? 

Rumours were he went to Barcelona to get a tattoo. Whether it matches with the time-frame I'm not sure. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Rumours were he went to Barcelona to get a tattoo. Whether it matches with the time-frame I'm not sure. 

Those rumours aren't true. That was in London.

According to The Athletic, the club allowed him to go to France on Wednesday to pick up his mother and come back on the same day. He came back on the next day. From what I understand, he didn't miss any training etc. There was other stuff about PCR tests as well.

The reaction from the club is harsh in my opinion and unnecessarily creates drama. Most clubs underplay things to make sure it doesn't create much damage, ours does the opposite...

Looking at how the club treated players that they wanted out in the past under this new management structure, I do think the fact he's on big wages and the fact they want to stop that being the case is a driving factor in this situation. Arteta also is a bit of a military minded manager when it comes to how he treats the players. Falls out with players regularly.

Edited by 6666
  • Upvote 2

Little bit of an overreaction by the club if that’s the case. That being said, why didn’t he just come back on the same day as he had agreed? He isn’t captain material, so you’re better off in the long run taking it from him. 

I can imagine Aubameyang wearing people thin but at the same time this Arsenal management seem to have made a habit of picking fights with players for the sake of coming off strong and authoritative. 

And despite freezing out a large chunk of the former squad it’s evidently not worked a bit if the club captain is still taking the piss.

To be perfectly blunt, Auba is not a leader anyway. He's not really demonstrated that in the time he has been there, seems a bit of a liability to me.

Arsenal, despite the one step forward, one step back form they have been showing in the league, are progressively getting better and with the likes of Ramsdale, White, Tierney, Saka, Smith Rowe etc have the perfect excuse to make one of those with a long term future at the club, as Captain.

They are the faces of the club now and the one's, the next generation of Arsenal players will look up to.

On 31/08/2021 at 23:04, 6666 said:

Tomiyasu coming in from Bologna. Don't know much about him but seems to have decent pace, decent dribbling, and some killer cheekbones.

Bellerin off to Betis on loan. Another one where I don't know why Arteta prefers someone like Cedric over him but hope Bellerin can find some form over in Spain.

Pleased about Bellerin he was beginning to develop a habit of scoring against us.

On 15/12/2021 at 13:40, Rick said:

I’d give the captaincy to Tierney, he seems level headed and a natural leader by example.

Issue is his injury record. And he doesn't really give a whole lot of direction to other players and isn't really in a position to affect general play. Hard worker but I wouldn't see him as being one of the top choices.

I think it's between Xhaka getting it back (especially as he shouldn't have lost it), Lacazette getting it (although his contract is coming to an end), or Ramsdale (who has just arrived but already does a lot of shouting and gives direction at the back).

On 14/12/2021 at 22:19, The Palace Fan said:

Rumours were he went to Barcelona to get a tattoo. Whether it matches with the time-frame I'm not sure. 

He went to Barcelona for the tattoo or for a visit to CampNou? :)

In the next year Aube will be a new player of Barcelona? Do you betting on? 

9 minutes ago, EDT The Wall said:

Hi Guys, Do you prefer as new captain LaCazette or Xhaka?

I love Xhaka, but i think that Arteta prefer LaCazette...

One thing is safe: between a few years the new captain will be Smith-Rowe.

He is a fantastic player and is a future football star. What do you think?

Out of Lacazette or Xhaka... I think it'd have to go to Lacazette personally.

Don't get me wrong, I think Xhaka is a decent player and sort of has an unfair reputation because of a few moments of madness in high profile moments (a bit like Dejan Lovren in his time with us tbh - a good defender that's reputation is maybe not as high as it perhaps should have been)... but I think it's hard to make the "new" captain a former captain who was stripped of his captaincy, imo for decent reasons.

He's also been close to leaving the club at least once, he famously got upset with upset Arsenal fans the last time he was captain and I'm not sure he's been fully forgiven large swathes of Arsenal fans... and lastly, just on the pitch I'm not sure a player that is as wildly inconsistent as Xhaka is the best player to have as a captain. Tbf, Lacazette is also pretty inconsistent - but I feel like he's also one of the underrated harder workers in the Arsenal squad. So even if he's not having the best game, he's still putting in a shift and being a good example to the rest of his teammates.

But I think the most sensible option is to go long-term with it. Smith-Rowe might not be 100% ready to be Arsenal captain now, but he's the future of Arsenal - as long as he keeps his development up and avoids horrific injury issues. I think giving him the captaincy would be similar to Houllier making Gerrard the captain at a young age (although I think he was a couple years older than Smith-Rowe is currently).

Imo Arsenal should be looking to build around him and I think long-term making him "Mr. Arsenal" will be good for his development as a player and as a leader. The counterpoint to this is: it's maybe a lot of pressure to put on a young player and there's no guarantee that being a very good midfielder means he'll be Arsenal's version of Stevie G.

On 14/12/2021 at 10:25, Inverted said:

I can imagine Aubameyang wearing people thin but at the same time this Arsenal management seem to have made a habit of picking fights with players for the sake of coming off strong and authoritative. 

And despite freezing out a large chunk of the former squad it’s evidently not worked a bit if the club captain is still taking the piss.

In normal situations I'd agree with you, but tbh... I think Arsenal have had issues with player leadership for a very long time tbh. Probably since Henry left... but even then, you can make the argument he wasn't the best leader and was inspiring to other Arsenal players purely because he was Thierry Henry - arguably the best premier league player ever... and if you make that argument (or buy into it) then they've had issues with player leadership since Vieira.

And obviously, as far as captains go, there's few bigger leaders that leave bigger shoes to fill than Vieira - so maybe that's why it's been so tough for them.

But as talented as Aubamayang is at his best, I don't think he inspires players in the same way playing with someone like Henry would. And I certainly don't think he's got the steely resolve to guide a side through tough moments the way a side like Arsenal needs a leader (and historically in their best moments, Wenger or not, Arsenal were a side that honestly had leaders all over the pitch). And I think that's why in big matches when the going gets tough for Arsenal... things just really seem to fall apart for them year after year. They just don't have the same mentality as other sides that have as much quality on paper as they do.

Because I think Arsenal, for the most part, have a good squad. I just think they sorely lack the right kind of mentality and character to be the club they used to be.

I think Arteta's making slow progress with Arsenal, which is understandable... it's actually a massive job for his first role in management and he's going to be learning a shitload on the job. And I think he's improved Arsenal pretty markedly if you just look at how they were when before he joined and where they are now - but he's still struggling with some of the same issues that plagued predecessors and left them in this state.

But they've got a very young squad, which means with a player or two with the right mentality added to the mix, he's got a squad that can be molded into having the right sort of mentality to compete at the top again. So I think it's absolutely the right call to make the decision to strip a captain that's... really not a great example for this young squad - regardless of how much natural talent he may/may not have. Because the right players in leadership roles in a squad can make an understated impact on the mentality of a side.

And really at the top level, I think mentality is just as important as talent. And I do think this Arsenal side has a fair bit of talent.

On 20/12/2021 at 19:36, Dr. Gonzo said:

Out of Lacazette or Xhaka... I think it'd have to go to Lacazette personally.

Don't get me wrong, I think Xhaka is a decent player and sort of has an unfair reputation because of a few moments of madness in high profile moments (a bit like Dejan Lovren in his time with us tbh - a good defender that's reputation is maybe not as high as it perhaps should have been)... but I think it's hard to make the "new" captain a former captain who was stripped of his captaincy, imo for decent reasons.

He's also been close to leaving the club at least once, he famously got upset with upset Arsenal fans the last time he was captain and I'm not sure he's been fully forgiven large swathes of Arsenal fans... and lastly, just on the pitch I'm not sure a player that is as wildly inconsistent as Xhaka is the best player to have as a captain. Tbf, Lacazette is also pretty inconsistent - but I feel like he's also one of the underrated harder workers in the Arsenal squad. So even if he's not having the best game, he's still putting in a shift and being a good example to the rest of his teammates.

But I think the most sensible option is to go long-term with it. Smith-Rowe might not be 100% ready to be Arsenal captain now, but he's the future of Arsenal - as long as he keeps his development up and avoids horrific injury issues. I think giving him the captaincy would be similar to Houllier making Gerrard the captain at a young age (although I think he was a couple years older than Smith-Rowe is currently).

Imo Arsenal should be looking to build around him and I think long-term making him "Mr. Arsenal" will be good for his development as a player and as a leader. The counterpoint to this is: it's maybe a lot of pressure to put on a young player and there's no guarantee that being a very good midfielder means he'll be Arsenal's version of Stevie G.

I think that Steven Gerrard is one and will be one forever. He was a captain, a fantastic player, a landmark, other level... Smith Rowe is a fantastic player, but is young and in the future i don't know if he will demonstrate and will confirmed all quality and her personality.

I'm agree with you, now the best captain for the Arsenal is Lacazette... I hope that tomorrow it will play the match versus Norwich, it's very important win this match... GO GUNNERS!!!

On 20/12/2021 at 19:48, Dr. Gonzo said:

In normal situations I'd agree with you, but tbh... I think Arsenal have had issues with player leadership for a very long time tbh. Probably since Henry left... but even then, you can make the argument he wasn't the best leader and was inspiring to other Arsenal players purely because he was Thierry Henry - arguably the best premier league player ever... and if you make that argument (or buy into it) then they've had issues with player leadership since Vieira.

And obviously, as far as captains go, there's few bigger leaders that leave bigger shoes to fill than Vieira - so maybe that's why it's been so tough for them.

But as talented as Aubamayang is at his best, I don't think he inspires players in the same way playing with someone like Henry would. And I certainly don't think he's got the steely resolve to guide a side through tough moments the way a side like Arsenal needs a leader (and historically in their best moments, Wenger or not, Arsenal were a side that honestly had leaders all over the pitch). And I think that's why in big matches when the going gets tough for Arsenal... things just really seem to fall apart for them year after year. They just don't have the same mentality as other sides that have as much quality on paper as they do.

Because I think Arsenal, for the most part, have a good squad. I just think they sorely lack the right kind of mentality and character to be the club they used to be.

I think Arteta's making slow progress with Arsenal, which is understandable... it's actually a massive job for his first role in management and he's going to be learning a shitload on the job. And I think he's improved Arsenal pretty markedly if you just look at how they were when before he joined and where they are now - but he's still struggling with some of the same issues that plagued predecessors and left them in this state.

But they've got a very young squad, which means with a player or two with the right mentality added to the mix, he's got a squad that can be molded into having the right sort of mentality to compete at the top again. So I think it's absolutely the right call to make the decision to strip a captain that's... really not a great example for this young squad - regardless of how much natural talent he may/may not have. Because the right players in leadership roles in a squad can make an understated impact on the mentality of a side.

And really at the top level, I think mentality is just as important as talent. And I do think this Arsenal side has a fair bit of talent.

Dr. Gonzo, Which will be the future of Arsenal?

How many years will spend because Arsenal fight for the first position?

Which player would you buy for increase the level of team?

Now missing two or three player with experience, with right mix beetwen experience, skill and youth this team could fight for the victory in premier league.

Arteta is a good coach, but he need two or three player with experience for increase the quality of team, i hope that those players will be arrive in the next market, but is very difficult find the perfect player.

The good player have an high cost and i don't know if the Arsenal can allow it.

Edited by EDT The Wall

1 hour ago, EDT The Wall said:

Dr. Gonzo, Which will be the future of Arsenal?

How many years will spend because Arsenal fight for the first position?

Which player would you buy for increase the level of team?

Now missing two or three player with experience, with right mix beetwen experience, skill and youth this team could fight for the victory in premier league.

Arteta is a good coach, but he need two or three player with experience for increase the quality of team, i hope that those players will be arrive in the next market, but is very difficult find the perfect player.

The good player have an high cost and i don't know if the Arsenal can allow it.

It’s hard to say how long it will be for Arsenal to win the league again. The league is much stronger than the last time they won the league - I think now they have a squad that can compete for the CL but a league title is probably a few seasons away. It’s a young squad that’ll get better with more experience and they need some leaders that can help a young squad perform under pressure.

I think in Arsenal’s position it’s just important to be really careful with what they spend money on in the future. I think they have been quite wasteful in the transfer market, but I think this summer they’ve done good work.

As long as Arteta keeps giving steady progress, I think it’s good to stick with him. He’s learning on the job and I think he’s doing a decent job considering it’s his first job and it’s a club the size of Arsenal.

Being a match going Chelsea fan since late 80s to late 90s have disliked most Arsenal fans (present forum members excepted) thought Arteta would improve Arsenal and then thought he would not make it re the bad press.

Glad to see he has been given time and think he is improving them with a young team which have not peaked though shows a lot of potential.

Never rated Lacazette though think in this side he fits in much better.

Don't think they will get silverware this season have a reasonable shout for top 4 probably just missing out.