talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Who was your captain before?

Can't really argue if that's what the rest of the squad want - he's clearly someone they can rely on and think can lead them. Wonder if Emery thought the same.

Koscielny. Xhaka along with Ozil, Ramsey and Cech were vice captains last season. No way was Ozil getting it and the other 3 are gone so Xhaka was always likely. I think his poor start to the season made Emery weary and that's why he asked the players. 

Not a big fan of this in truth, he may have 'leadership' qualities but lacks them massively when it comes to leading by example. The players wanted him so you can't argue, maybe its a way of getting rid of him though. Our captains lately either leave after a season or never play. xD

Edited by Chaaay AFC

17 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Koscielny that went well :ph34r:

The captains armband has been a joke for years at Arsenal. You could argue our last great captain was Vieira. Fabregas and Gilberto were good but didn't last long, Arteta and Mertesacker as well but they never played. I think Xhaka has been the worst choice out of them all though. 

1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

The captains armband has been a joke for years at Arsenal. You could argue our last great captain was Vieira. Fabregas and Gilberto were good but didn't last long, Arteta and Mertesacker as well but they never played. I think Xhaka has been the worst choice out of them all though. 

I like Viera style of captains, he takes no shit and is respected by every player from youth to superstar. Cesc was probably the best player in Arsenal at his peak and was captain because of it. From the current bunch i think maybe Leno would be okay? Someone on Sky said Luiz haha i wouldn't let him captain my pub side.

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I like Viera style of captains, he takes no shit and is respected by every player from youth to superstar. Cesc was probably the best player in Arsenal at his peak and was captain because of it. From the current bunch i think maybe Leno would be okay? Someone on Sky said Luiz haha i wouldn't let him captain my pub side.

To be fair there is a distinct lack of captain material at Arsenal. It would've been Ramsey's for sure but he went to Juventus. There was talk of Aubameyang, I wouldn't of minded him as he plays every game and is our best player. Still think Bellerin would have been the right choice, one of the longest serving players, he gets the club and he will play every game. 

Just now, Chaaay AFC said:

To be fair there is a distinct lack of captain material at Arsenal. It would've been Ramsey's for sure but he went to Juventus. There was talk of Aubameyang, I wouldn't of minded him as he plays every game and is our best player. Still think Bellerin would have been the right choice, one of the longest serving players, he gets the club and he will play every game. 

Just because of that shit style in dressing i would drop him

Correct and obvious choice. And he's definitely a better choice as captain than Fabregas at the time he was given the armband. Gilberto was also just vice-captain but captained the side during that period because of Henry being injured. Henry was definitely the worst captain as well, he wasn't a natural leader at all. And that's even counting Gallas who had a mental breakdown on the pitch. Vermaelen, Arteta, Mertesacker and Koscielny had the character to be captains but they were basically out of the side for one reason or another when they were officially given the armband. They probably captain the team more the season prior as a captain at that time was out of the side.

I've heard people suggest Lacazette or Aubameyang... these people don't seem to know what a captain is and just want to give it to the player they like the most. :dam:

Do you lads even like Xhaka? He seems like such an infuriating player. His range of passing is fantastic... but other than that, I don't think he's that good of a player. And he certainly doesn't strike me as much of a leader... or even a player you'd put out there when they're not a "traditional" leader but they can lead by example because of how good they are - because he makes errors all the fucking time and his positioning is pretty shit, so he'd be one of the last people I'd want to put in to "lead by example."

23 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do you lads even like Xhaka? He seems like such an infuriating player. His range of passing is fantastic... but other than that, I don't think he's that good of a player. And he certainly doesn't strike me as much of a leader... or even a player you'd put out there when they're not a "traditional" leader but they can lead by example because of how good they are - because he makes errors all the fucking time and his positioning is pretty shit, so he'd be one of the last people I'd want to put in to "lead by example."

He was vice-captain at M'gladbach when he was 22/23 and he's the current Switzerland captain and him being captain was a pretty obvious choice here as well. It's a natural role for him. Especially when you look at the other 4 in that 5 man list, not really the leader type.

6 minutes ago, 6666 said:

He was vice-captain at M'gladbach when he was 22/23 and he's the current Switzerland captain and him being captain was a pretty obvious choice here as well. It's a natural role for him. Especially when you look at the other 4 in that 5 man list, not really the leader type.

Why is Ozil even on that list?

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

The only person(s) I can recognise in that tweet is Wenger himself and Robin van Persia, I think Keogh might be one of them also?  O.o

In my opinion we are seeing now what a good job he did. Keeping us in the top 4 for all those seasons. Right now we are trying to get back to where he had us for years. Balancing the books and still keeping is in the top 4. Arsenal legend

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

In my opinion we are seeing now what a good job he did. Keeping us in the top 4 for all those seasons. Right now we are trying to get back to where he had us for years. Balancing the books and still keeping is in the top 4. Arsenal legend

Well because of him we are backwards as the club needed a big rebuilding job.   Emery is not the guy though going forward, he is too limited. 

48 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Well because of him we are backwards as the club needed a big rebuilding job.   Emery is not the guy though going forward, he is too limited. 

We're backwards from where were we were under Wenger in the first place. We only have high expectations now because of Wenger. 

It is absolutely ridiculous to use the argument that he (Wenger) did such a miraculous job in "keeping us in the top four" when WITH him ee dropped out of the top four with a visible spiral downwards. We are living in times where facts are pushed to one side and either made to be forgotten or in some cases made to seem like an extremist's view (this phenomenon goes beyond sports).

Let me also add that the priority of Arsenal Football Club is to build to compete to win, not to maintain the status quo because it fits the objectives from a business sense and model through marketing ideals to their shareholders. In other words... "Keep outlaying costs down so as to obtain maximum financial benefit" (continual growth). Football clubs ought to produce for their fans, not their shareholders! If fans have now been manipulated to believe and accept that mediocrity is the objective, then football has definitely entered a new era.

This will certainly make the divide between Europe's elite clubs against the rest a fixed fixture forever with the only shining light an "every now and then" rise to the level sparse moment like Ajax are enjoying before their club is ultimately raped of the mechanics that have driven them there thus maintaining the now established status quo.

Blind!

The fact is unless we get a top top coach. I mean a klopp or simeone etc I don't think we will competeat the very top. A lot of the statements made about Wenger aren't true if you look into them. For example Wenger's spending was restricted untill 2014. Not because of the stadium debt but because of the sponsorship deal. After 2014 we were able to renogotiate the deal. That is a fact. Arsenal don't have the money to compete with city. Again that is a fact. If you look at arsenal's profit and what clubs have to spend they can't afford to spend what they do.

There were lots of issues at the end. Contracts running down etc but if you look into the facts Wenger got didn't do a bad a job as many made out.

Edited by Guest

Arsenal are in a bracket where they could have done better this decade for sure, had they been more adventurous in the transfer market or Wenger left earlier. ANd I'm sure a lot of you guys are thinking what if. What if Fabregas wasn't a dumb cunt, what if Van Persie stayed, what if Wenger moved on in 2014. What if Ozil gave 100% every time. But at the beginning of the decade Arsenal were in a similar position to now. Scrapping for top 4. You haven't changed. City and Liverpool have risen, United and Chelsea have dropped off. 

Things could be better for the Arsenal, but they could be far worse.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The fact is unless we get a top top coach. I mean a klopp or simeone etc I don't think we will competeat the very top. A lot of the statements made about Wenger aren't true if you look into them. For example Wenger's spending was restricted untill 2014. Not because of the stadium debt but because of the sponsorship deal. After 2014 we were able to renogotiate the deal. That is a fact. Arsenal don't have the money to compete with city. Again that is a fact. If you look at arsenal's profit and what clubs have to spend they can't afford to spend what they do.

There were lots of issues at the end. Contracts running down etc but if you look into the facts Wenger got didn't do a bad a job as many made out.

Arsenal not spending money when Wenger was in charge is a huge Myth,   He had a lot of money to spend, maybe not the amounts of Chelsea at the time but still it was enough but where it was spent, it was wasted.  Also Arsenal at the time were 2nd in player wages as our squad was huge with average players all earning vasts amounts on long contracts.  Wenger will be remembered for several things but he stayed far too long without moving in to the modern day of football as he had far too much control, which now Arsenal are playing catch up.

Edited by Panna King

16 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

We were on the route downwards with Wenger which is why he was sacked. Plus it's not about competing with City and the likes, it was about competing against ourselves and our feeling comfortable reaching our seeming target of a top four space with domestic cup runs being used as the carrot hanging in front of the fans faces for "satisfaction"

You have a simplistic view which has been fed to you by meaningless emotionally driven twaddle. 

13 minutes ago, Panna King said:

Arsenal not spending money when Wenger was in charge is a huge Myth,   He had a lot of money to spend, maybe not the amounts of Chelsea at the time but still it was enough but where it was spent, it was wasted.  Also Arsenal at the time were 2nd in player wages as our squad was huge with average players all earning vasts amounts on long contracts.  Wenger will be remembered for several things but he stayed far too long without moving in to the modern day of football as he had far too much control, which now Arsenal are playing catch up.

Wenger's era has to be looked at a tale of two halves... The first and the second are distinctly different.