talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

Just now, Cicero said:

You're saying the Coutinho signing is good enough to help you secure top 4. 

Who are you beating to Top 4? 

I said help us make top 4 I didnt say we would make top 4. He would give us more if a chance 

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Aubameyang? 

Different players but yeah, I'd say Coutinho would be at least on par regarding what he would offer their team.

Coutinho would certainly absolutely walk into Arsenal's midfield and their front 3. 

Edited by LFCMadLad

I'd be totally against the Coutinho signing, it's been bad enough having Ozil be a dark cloud over the clubs for 2 years now and we don't want potentially another. Coutinho is obviously a good player but he is just not what we need and I can't really see him being that committed to our cause. Not to mention his ridiculous wages and him being a massively overrated player for me. 

Even a loan deal should be a no go, would just cost too much for a one year rental. 

Again, this just screams Edu and Joorabchian rimming each other. 

Arsenal first need to tie down Aubameyang. What ever it takes. 

Secure the Partey signing. 

Use what ever funds remaining to get a CB that can hold their position with Saliba. 

Edited by Cicero

Let’s be honest Arsenal’s attack is weak enough to be built around Coutinho, other than Auba there’s no big players ready to step up. I’d imagine Coutinho would cost a lot of money for a club that are cash strapped though

But I think anyone who’s watched Arsenal will know they need to buy two new centre backs before anything, and like has been stated Partey would be good midfield option 

5 hours ago, Danny said:

Let’s be honest Arsenal’s attack is weak enough to be built around Coutinho, other than Auba there’s no big players ready to step up. I’d imagine Coutinho would cost a lot of money for a club that are cash strapped though

But I think anyone who’s watched Arsenal will know they need to buy two new centre backs before anything, and like has been stated Partey would be good midfield option 

Saka isn't that far away to be fair.  But yeah we need a big player in there. Defence is a massive issue but if you cant score you cant win so I can understand why attack may be prioritised. It is quite frustrating really for years we moaned about needing to strengthen our defence now we moan about having to strengthen everywhere 

Here in Portugal Danilo Pereira is being noticed to Arsenal. To be honest, I don't think this is it nor do I believe the rumour knowing Arteta's school. Last time Danilo played any good without being consistently forgettable was in 2015/16 (first season at Porto where he was the only one looking good) , being even associated with PSG, after that he was just exposed big time for lacking on ball skill and not being that good as he once promised defensively. He literally can't play an 1 meter vertical pass, almost every time he only knows/can pass again to the CBs and stall the build-up play. I really don't understand, if this is true, what Arsenal is seeing, maybe they are still caught on that rare good game he had against England some years ago.

Edited by Takezo

@6666 

Arsenal fans when Wenger is there. "We're fed up of just being in the champions league every year and not winning the league"

After wenger year one "we just wanna get back in the champions league"

After wenger year two "we just wanna get back in the europa league"

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@6666 

Arsenal fans when Wenger is there. "We're fed up of just being in the champions league every year and not winning the league"

After wenger year one "we just wanna get back in the champions league"

After wenger year two "we just wanna get back in the europa league"

I said it time and time again when Arsenal fans wanted Wenger gone... be careful what you wish for. 

Wenger was kinda dated and was heading to this road. After that Arsenal just didn't know how to choose a manager properly, and I would guess various managers don't want the problem of working with constraint finances in a club like this.

No matter how worse things may have gotten I'm apologist of not being locked in something that isn't working and trying to get better.

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I said it time and time again when Arsenal fans wanted Wenger gone... be careful what you wish for. 

I think he maybe needed to go right at the end. But it hasn't exactly been that great since. I was one of the more cautious ones I didnt want him out 15 years ago like some on here. I always knew it would be hard to compete for the league the way modern football is.  @6666 was the same 

We would've had a better chance of getting in the top 4 this season if Wenger was here in my opinion. He was more competitive in the league with worse squads and he wouldn't have alienated players in order to push them out like Emery did with Ramsey and Ozil. And to be honest Arteta is doing the same with Ozil. Lacking in creativity and the guy can't even get in the squad... Wenger needed to go at the time but Emery was not a good appointment.

Still happy with Arteta overall though, optimistic about him getting a full season (although the circumstances will mean a lack of a proper preseason).

Edited by 6666
  • Upvote 1

On 22/07/2020 at 18:13, 6666 said:

We would've had a better chance of getting in the top 4 this season if Wenger was here in my opinion. He was more competitive in the league with worse squads and he wouldn't have alienated players in order to push them out like Emery did with Ramsey and Ozil. And to be honest Arteta is doing the same with Ozil. Lacking in creativity and the guy can't even get in the squad... Wenger needed to go at the time but Emery was not a good appointment.

Still happy with Arteta overall though, optimistic about him getting a full season (although the circumstances will mean a lack of a proper preseason).

It's normal, Ozil has no work rate even more since some years ago. And with Arteta's style, assuming because he was with Pep and from what I have seen so far, the team needs players that don't slack defensively so the press can work. This doesn't succeed with players like Ozil.

In relation to Emery, I know he didn't have the best team at Arsenal and that english fans usually defend him a lot (seeing from Reddit), but I (and a lot of portuguese people) think he's a hoax (don't know if the word is correct just saw the translation in google translator). Dude apart from Valencia never did quite good in the league nor he showed tactical glimpses of being a top tier manager. He won 2 or 3 Europa Leagues, but his tactics were never that ambitious to begin with and that showed in the league table across his time at Sevilla. Once they got rid of him and got Sampaoli they did a lot better internally. I remeber him playing against Porto and Benfica and thinking his team wasnt that good, but he was safe and that goes a long way in tournments when you have good players. Then PSG came, he did what everyone couldn't, lose the league with that squad, and then he did go to Arsenal and I think he could do better at some times but would never be the type of manager Arsenal should go for. 

6 hours ago, shut up said:

the reason why we have such an horrific squad is down to wenger. his last few seasons he did some awful deals. He didn't tie down players who needed to be tied down (Sanchez, Ramsey & Cazorla) and gave Ozil a massive contract that he didn't even deserve, meaning we have to wait to get rid of him before we can give Auba the money he wants.

He also lead us to 6th place, like 15 points behind 4th in his last season.

I don’t think Emery as a successor did Arsenal any favours. And tbh at first I thought he was great because his Sevilla were so annoying to play against... but his time in England quickly proved me wrong. But then I looked at the league positions of his Sevilla... and I thought “maybe that makes sense then.” I think he was picked mostly for his Europa League cup runs... which were definitely impressive... and I think maybe his time at PSG made him look better than he was (big fish in a small pond situation).

Wenger definitely went stale, but I don’t think the stability he provided was necessarily a bad thing and he probably should have been a bit involved in picking a successor before fucking off. It’s not like he’d fully fallen off like Clough did with his last years at Forest.

I think the bigger issues at Arsenal are above the manager’s head at this point. But Arteta’s got a massive job on his hands (and as his first job as a manager). It’s a big club so there’s pressure to do much better than they did (and tbf they should be doing better). But the squad is very unbalanced and there’s a lot of deadwood on decent wages.

But I think a lot of how successful Arteta can be is only in his hands so much. He’s at a club that’s been mismanaged above the manager for a while, his bosses above him need to steady the ship and give him the resources to build a squad that’s the quality everyone would expect from Arsenal.

I don’t envy Arteta, even though I don’t like him very much, because I think his job would be hard even for an experienced manager. This is a really really hard job for a novice.

6 hours ago, shut up said:

the reason why we have such an horrific squad is down to wenger. his last few seasons he did some awful deals. He didn't tie down players who needed to be tied down (Sanchez, Ramsey & Cazorla) and gave Ozil a massive contract that he didn't even deserve, meaning we have to wait to get rid of him before we can give Auba the money he wants.

Nah. Emery started off well and things got worse the more the team became his. Wenger wasn't the one negotiating contracts either, that's not how clubs work.

20 hours ago, shut up said:

It makes me laugh how people just ignore this when discussing Wenger now. We was only going more and more downhill with him at the helm. I don't entirely blame him but his last season at the club is why we are in this situation now. 17/18 crippled the club for a good few years. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

It makes me laugh how people just ignore this when discussing Wenger now. We was only going more and more downhill with him at the helm. I don't entirely blame him but his last season at the club is why we are in this situation now. 17/18 crippled the club for a good few years. 

His management was indicative of your decline too, clearly he’s a better manager than Emery and Arteta currently but you see Arteta demanding finances publicly from the board, he wants to have Arsenal compete at the top. He might not be good enough to achieve that but Wenger was happy to see Arsenal flounder around 4th, that’s just not good enough for a club like Arsenal.

I doubt Wenger was happy about constantly coming 4th and then clubs moving passed him, I just don’t think he wanted to be seen as moaning about his bosses in the media and he didn’t think throwing players he signed under the bus was good management. You don’t get to be a successful top flight manager without being very competitive and normally very competitive people are hurt the most by their failures.

And while I think he was a legend, he left around the right time. Things under him had clearly rotted away and his methods weren’t successful. But I don’t think there was ever a solid plan for post-Arsene Arsenal.

And @shut up is right that Arsene had a more old-school hands on approach with bringing players in, negotiating with them over contracts, and doing stuff that nowadays we see more and more clubs delegate that power to a Director of Football and let the manager focus more on the results. I wonder how much of that power Wenger had as a manager was also available to Emery. Because I don’t think Emery is really suited to that sort of stuff.

It’s always a tough ask though, to fill the shoes of a legend. Even one who’s last years at the club he was a legend at didn’t go so great. But I do think the rebuild becomes a lot harder after a season where a club’s spent a lot and the squad looks even more unbalanced than it did the season prior.