talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Superstitions

football forum

• Administrator

Don't walk under a ladder?

What do you do when a black cat crosses your patch?

Itchy palms (not a Coronavirus symptom, don't worry)?

Don't step across 3 drains?

Put your socks on in a specific order?

They're some common ones but I'm guessing loads of us have different superstitions we follow in life...what are yours? 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Stan said:

Don't walk under a ladder?

What do you do when a black cat crosses your patch?

Itchy palms (not a Coronavirus symptom, don't worry)?

Don't step across 3 drains?

Put your socks on in a specific order?

They're some common ones but I'm guessing loads of us have different superstitions we follow in life...what are yours? 

The ones you mentioned are those that apply to you?

I would be very interested to find out how you sort your socks.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

The ones you mentioned are those that apply to you?

I would be very interested to find out how you sort your socks.

No, just ones I could think of off the top of my head.

I avoid walking under ladders though. 

Also I don't sort my socks as I don't care about wearing odd ones (they have to be the same pattern/style though, I'm not that weird). 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

I avoid walking under ladders though. 

Is is a superstition or are you just being careful because there's a chance it (and whoever is standing on it) could come crashing onto you? Btw I imagine this is exactly how this superstition started xD  

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Is is a superstition or are you just being careful because there's a chance it (and whoever is standing on it) could come crashing onto you? Btw I imagine this is exactly why this superstition started xD  

No idea. Just following the idea that it might bring bad luck if I do. 

And I think I'm 99.99999% sure that's where it first came about too back in the day because someone did walk under, got crushed, then some by-stander proclaimed 'thou shalt never walk under a ladder or thou will be crushed!' 

Definitely.

As an OCD person it depends on what kinda day I am having. If it's a bad day, then I am a mess, following silly orders from my brain, because if I don't then things will become worse. It could be something simple like going around a tree, or a pole, a ditch (that's is on the side) instead of taking the shorter, straight path, just because your brain tells you to do. Or not stepping on the border of tiles. Or being forced to wash your fingers in a certain way. Or taking way too many sips of water.

I have this thing where I wake up at night to pee. And before sleeping back, I have to drink water. I must. On bad days I might drink a little too much, causing me to wake up again after few hours to pee. After which I have to (yes you guessed it right) drink water again.

I don't believe the ladder or cat thing. I mean, I ( a former pet hater) have recently fallen in love with cats, so I will consider them bad. They can run in circles around me if they want.

Of the general superstitious things, which I am kinda forced to follow by mum or elders in the house are : 

Don't do anything auspicious on new moon days.

I don't walk over these if they are lying on the road.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-AzHxIS2cdrUzt4VfuZi

We ties these at our doors or vehicles to ward off evil. And some idiots don't put the old ones in trash cans.

Also, I don't know if @Stan has this done to him. But the whole 'nazar utarna' thing where your mum or grandma or an elderly female member of your house will perform a small ritual of taking salt in their fist and moving it over you, to ward off bad things, before tossing that salt into the drain or on a hot pan. 

• Subscriber

None really, a lot of superstitions go back to medieval times what I have read like walking under a ladder represents the gallows where the hangman would place a ladder up to the gallows and he would climb up the ladder onto the platform and then hang whoever so they said never walk under a ladder as this would represent a death omen to whoever walked under a ladder.

Mind you, I did have a thing once years ago if I was watching a Man United match and they were losing that I would go and have a shave and come back and they would score and win, it worked a couple of times and that was about it, shave or not shave United would win, lose or draw so I just binned that idea lol.     

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Also, I don't know if @Stan has this done to him. But the whole 'nazar utarna' thing where your mum or grandma or an elderly female member of your house will perform a small ritual of taking salt in their fist and moving it over you, to ward off bad things, before tossing that salt into the drain or on a hot pan. 

Nope never done that! Not heard of that one though. There's all kinds of ritual superstitions that get done at religious occasions though especially weddings and funerals.

Right foot first is probably one of the most common when walking in to rooms or mandirs.

• Subscriber

O.o

55 of the Strangest Superstitions From Around the World

Never Stick Your Chopstick Straight Up

Poking chopsticks down into your food is a big no-no in Japan. The utensils look like the unlucky number four, which means death, and also the incense sticks used at funerals. Another tip: Don't point your chopsticks at anyone. That's just plain rude.

chopsticks-sticking-up-1523303645.jpg?cr  

• Subscriber

I thought about it and I think I only really do the knock on wood thing sometimes. 

That said, I have been wearing a Sothorn Buddha amulet and a string bracelet for years so probably I'm more superstitious than I think xD

Can't say I am to be honest, although I think it's tempting fate for someone to claim a family member is seriously ill just to get out of something or skive time off work... not sure that counts as superstitious though… 

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluewolf said:

Can't say I am to be honest, although I think it's tempting fate for someone to claim a family member is seriously ill just to get out of something or skive time off work... not sure that counts as superstitious though… 

Oh that too. Definitely more superstitious than I thought I was xD

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Nope never done that! Not heard of that one though. There's all kinds of ritual superstitions that get done at religious occasions though especially weddings and funerals.

Right foot first is probably one of the most common when walking in to rooms or mandirs.

Also followed by most Indian cricketers when they enter the field.

It's the most common one.

I am shocked to know that you never had your 'Nazar utarna' done. It's fairly common in Gujarati culture too. Maybe not by salt. But they use money or coconut.

30 minutes ago, nudge said:

I thought about it and I think I only really do the knock on wood thing sometimes. 

That said, I have been wearing a Sothorn Buddha amulet and a string bracelet for years so probably I'm more superstitious than I think xD

I have a thin, red thread around my waist that has a tiny, green, glass bangle attached to it. Suppose to ward off bad things.

I don't believe it that. But I have had it since I was an infant (not the same thread). So now my body or rather my stomach has got so used to it, that when I don't have it (sometimes the threads get old and break, so I go without it for days), I get serious acidity.

I know a lot of people here who wear a black thread on one of their ankles for the same reason.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I am shocked to know that you never had your 'Nazar utarna' done. It's fairly common in Gujarati culture too. Maybe not by salt. But they use money or coconut.

Ah coconut, yes. Seen as quite 'sacred', for lack of a better word, here.

8 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I have a thin, red thread around my waist that has a tiny, green, glass bangle attached to it. Suppose to ward off bad things.

Similarly also have the red (+ other colours) threads from Raksha Bandhan. Not sure that's anything to do with superstition, though. Just good luck and well wishes from the sisters xD 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

I don't believe it that. But I have had it since I was an infant (not the same thread). So now my body or rather my stomach has got so used to it, that when I don't have it (sometimes the threads get old and break, so I go without it for days), I get serious acidity.

I know a lot of people here who wear a black thread on one of their ankles for the same reason.

I wear a multicolored cotton thread on my wrist, it's supposed to do the same thing. Don't believe it either but also got so used to it throughout the years that it'd would feel weird not wearing it. Similar to the feeling you get when you remove your watch, feels like something is missing haha. Also weird but you're supposed to wear it until it falls off by itself, it's been 7 years and the thing still looks like new O.o

• Subscriber

I can remember when I was a wee nipper, my big sis, telling me "If you bite your fingernails you had better count up to 10 afterwards otherwise the bogey man will come for you", I believed her and it's only when I got older that I stopped doing that. xD

• 2 years later...
  • Subscriber

Today's Friday the 13th, an unlucky day so we are told and originated from...

In France, Friday 13th might have been associated with misfortune as early as the first half of the 19th century. A character in the 1834 play Les Finesses des Gribouilles states, "I was born on a Friday, December 13th, 1813 from which come all of my misfortunes".

As mentioned in this thread I am not the superstitious type of person and I class Friday the 13th as just another day and you can also be lucky on that day, put a couple of quid on tonight's lottery so you never know. xD

1920px-Wallingford_castle_ruins.jpg

Archived