The better place to talk football.

Where do you get your news from?

football forum

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

4207 new cases and 475 new deaths in Italy. Tomorrow they'll most likely overtake the total reported death toll in China.

I like this news outlet. Gives me regular Corona virus updates. 

48 minutes ago, nudge said:

Whether it's general news, current affairs or any specific field, hobby or interest - what are the main sources you regularly use?

tn.com.ar, it's quite a lefty site so not exactly ideal for me (but then again, all papers/news sites are here, even the ones historically regarded as conservative were only so on a class level and have mostly changed that too) but it's free, has a tv channel with live shows 24/7, and some unique content, sending people abroad to cover global issues/events. And they have the biggest and most modern studio in Latin America.Though i always form my own opinion instead of nodding like a sheep, wherever the info comes from, specially if the matter is of relevance or something that interests me or that i care about.

And, Cronista.com and Ambito.com for financial info.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Mel81x said:
  • Various tech websites

Mind sharing some? I'm mostly reading Ars Technica, Interesting Engineering, IEEE Spectrum and MIT Technology Review but always looking for some other good ones.

Reuters and Politico for politics and world news.

NME and albumoftheyear for newly released music and music news.

If there's a specific major event or incident like the covid-19 outbreak, there's probably a subreddit for it so I just keep up to date from there.

For football it's also reddit (r/soccer), twitter and this forum.

Even if I'm not looking for them, I get a lot of news from Instagram and even Youtube can work for that if you follow the right people.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Mind sharing some? I'm mostly reading Ars Technica, Interesting Engineering, IEEE Spectrum and MIT Technology Review but always looking for some other good ones.

Sure

• TechCrunch (My goto for looking at new tech news from a user and business standpoint)
  • VentureBeat
  • TheNextWeb (gets a bit busy but its good and ArsTechnica is my primary daily driver)
  • Wired
  • SlashGear

I honestly miss having an older RSS feed that just kept the news coming in but I also appreciate the fact that I take time out of my day to read the news I want to read and open sites and drink coffee and read when I take 15 min breaks from work.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Sure

• TechCrunch (My goto for looking at new tech news from a user and business standpoint)
  • VentureBeat
  • TheNextWeb (gets a bit busy but its good and ArsTechnica is my primary daily driver)
  • Wired
  • SlashGear

I honestly miss having an older RSS feed that just kept the news coming in but I also appreciate the fact that I take time out of my day to read the news I want to read and open sites and drink coffee and read when I take 15 min breaks from work.

Thanks! I read Wired and TechCrunch occasionally but not the other three so will check them out and add them to the list.

I kind of use twitter feed for that. Have set up a list with all the main sites I follow on a specific topic and just use it as a sort of aggregator. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Machado said:

What's a good website for space-related news? Also for scientific discovery in general?

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/ is my favourite one but it's focused on spaceflight mostly. Their forums are amazing with a lot of people who are working in the industry participating in discussion and sharing infos. I'm subscribed for their L2 service which is basically a database of documentation, graphics, photos, information and videos that aren't available publicly. Incredible amount of resources.

https://www.space.com/ is more general space news and definitely more accessible to everyone - just be wary of clickbaity headlines. Their articles can be a bit hit and miss sometimes in terms of accuracy but overall I think it provides a good overview of what's happening and is easy to understand.

For science and scientific discovery in general, I mostly use https://www.sciencedaily.com/ and https://www.livescience.com/ as news aggregators and then just follow the story and do my own research if I want more in-depth information.

Since you're using reddit, both r/science and r/space are quite good too.

For general news I rely on specific journalists rather than the paper or the site. Journalists who actually investigate and report facts (instead of writing pointless op-ed pieces) irrespective of the political parties or ideologies at play. It's better to follow their Twitter accounts.

For books I follow Guardian books, New York Times books and Crime Reads.

I highly recommend Atlas Obscura if you are keen to know about unknown, obscure and weird places, stories, people, cultures and events. It's a gem of a site.

I would also suggest the site Listverse which is a diluted version of Atlas Obscura. Here articles are presented in a point wise manner.

Lastly, I love spending my time on Longreads. As the name says, articles or stories or essays on that site are long but more often than not they are absolutely fascinating. 

Archived