• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Recommended Posts

Life’s all a bit weird and shit at the minute. Pasta is a greater commodity than Gold and Toilet Roll is selling for more per gram than cocaine but I want to step away from the now and get all nostalgic about the Premier League and here we can wallow in nostalgia till life resumes to some form of normality. 

I’ll start...Stoke City. Shithouses. A massive set of big, nasty bastards with long throws, old fashioned target men and two footed tackles all over the place. What a side. Why they ever went away from what they were good at, I don’t know. I loved how Arsenal had lost at the Britannia the day the fixtures come out, let alone on the day. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26th May 1989, the last match of the season and Liverpool had to draw or beat Arsenal at Anfield and take the title and Arsenal had to beat Liverpool by 2 clear goals to take the title and they did.

I remember this moment till the day I die because I pissed myself laughing, our son was giving me all the jip all week how is Liverpool were going to take the title "a piece of piss" he kept saying, I happened to bump into him downtown as he was out clubbing with some pals that night and never knew what the score ended up as until I told him Arsenal had won 2-0 and won the title.

There were no mobile phones in them days and he could not check and said to me "Fuck off pops, stop trying to wind me up..." that night when he came home he had found out the score he avoided me as I was watching the highlights on tv and went straight to his room, he was right pissed off.   xD

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stan said:

*Premier League memories*

 

@CaaC (John) *posts something pre-Premier League* xDxD 

You have a go boss, keep this thread moving, I woke up this morning and switched the tv on looking for Match of the Day highlights then remembered...O.o 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

 

I’ll start...Stoke City. Shithouses. A massive set of big, nasty bastards with long throws, old fashioned target men and two footed tackles all over the place. What a side. Why they ever went away from what they were good at, I don’t know. I loved how Arsenal had lost at the Britannia the day the fixtures come out, let alone on the day. 

That was like Wimbledon back in the day with Holdsworth, Fash, Vinnie etc. Played to their strengths and were successful because of it.

Some of my earliest Premier League memories were Tony Yeboah bangers. I wished there was a Premier League Netflix service where I could watch recaps of the best of the 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bolton had Ivan Campo, Fernando Hierro, Jay-Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff and probably a few other players I’ve forgotten about. They had a great side at one point. They were another that had Arsenal beaten before a game even kicked off.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Bolton had Ivan Campo, Fernando Hierro, Jay-Jay Okocha, Youri Djorkaeff and probably a few other players I’ve forgotten about. They had a great side at one point. They were another that had Arsenal beaten before a game even kicked off.

Fat Sam’s got a reputation for his ugly football, but his Bolton at their best were a better side than any of his sides after he left Bolton by a long distance.

My favourite premier league memories are more tied to specific players. Namely I get fond nostalgia of Robbie Fowler breaking into the side, when I was just a very young kid and when I really start remembering liking football. And he was just some kid that made his way into a side and you’d see him on the scoring constantly. Can’t ever remember loving a player like I loved Fowler as a kid tbh.

I also have fond nostalgic memories of watching Arsenal with Bergkamp and Henry just producing ridiculous displays constantly. Henry especially was just one hell of a player, felt like the end of an era when he left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fat Sam’s got a reputation for his ugly football, but his Bolton at their best were a better side than any of his sides after he left Bolton by a long distance.

My favourite premier league memories are more tied to specific players. Namely I get fond nostalgia of Robbie Fowler breaking into the side, when I was just a very young kid and when I really start remembering liking football. And he was just some kid that made his way into a side and you’d see him on the scoring constantly. Can’t ever remember loving a player like I loved Fowler as a kid tbh.

I also have fond nostalgic memories of watching Arsenal with Bergkamp and Henry just producing ridiculous displays constantly. Henry especially was just one hell of a player, felt like the end of an era when he left.

That period of late 90s/early 00s PL football. I have fond memories of that time of football. Arsenal stand out for sure. They had a proper rivalry with Man Utd. Keane vs Vieira as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin Keegan's Newcastle. With David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, Peter Beardsley, Rob Lee, Warren Barton and Faustino Asprilla's great smile. Great times.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always remember that last day of the season that, I think, sent Wimbledon down with Marian Pahars (what a goalscorer for Southampton by the way) keeping Southampton up and Bradford staying up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a big fan of how much Wigan Athletic wound everyone up because they had poor crowds and were shit for 75-80% of a season but would turn up in March and stay up for a few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

That half a season when Blackpool turned in to Brazil.

I feel like Hull properly smashed half a season then ended up getting relegated in the same one xD 

I wanna say 2007 or 2008? Geovanni scoring absolute worldies.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

I feel like Hull properly smashed half a season then ended up getting relegated in the same one xD 

I wanna say 2007 or 2008? Geovanni scoring absolute worldies.

2009. They stayed up by the skin of their teeth. Only to be well out their depth the following season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know why but I remembered Leeds 01-02 with Viduka, Kewell, Woodgate, Alan Smith and a whole slew of other players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about Hull tearing it up for a few months! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stan said:

I wanna say 2007 or 2008? Geovanni scoring absolute worldies.

I just remembered a funny story about Geovanni.

My housemate at Uni had a 17 team accumulator and 16 scores came in. He was on course to win over 6 grand. Which given we were eighteen would probably feel like 30 grand now. He was googling every piece of technology going, looking at holidays, in his eyes he had that money. The final game was Arsenal / Hull City which was the late kick off (Arsenal had just out six past Sheffield United in the week too) and Geovanni scored two absolutely world class finishes to win the game for Hull City. The poor guy didnt show his face for over a week.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who can forget this?! 

Well, me. I had no idea this was in the same game as Bowyer/Dyer fighting xD

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Premier League years 1992/93 yesterday. The power they used to get behind some of them shots with a heavy football :o

I didnt realise how good Roy Atkinson's Aston Villa were in that period and how close they came to winning the Premier League. Imagine how different things could have been.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Watched Premier League years 1992/93 yesterday. The power they used to get behind some of them shots with a heavy football :o

I didnt realise how good Roy Atkinson's Aston Villa were in that period and how close they came to winning the Premier League. Imagine how different things could have been.

What an absolute shocking defence of a title we made that year by the way. Not one away win! Just about stayed up!

I remember a lot from that year.

Sky TV taking over. Never had Sky but it felt a 'treat' to watch the sunday afternoon or monday night games if i was somewhere that had it.

Peter Ndlovu for Coventry.

Norwich City's speckly kit.

Eric Cantona. Sadly.

Brian Deane scoring the first ever PL goal.

Dalian Atkinson scoring one of the goals of the season.

Matt Le Tissier taking the absolute piss out of Newcastle at The Dell.

Great memories.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2010. 

10 years ago already! How these clubs have fallen since then as well...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amr Zaki was the greatest striker on the planet for about a month for Wigan in that horrific luminous shirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stan said:

2010. 

10 years ago already! How these clubs have fallen since then as well...

 

I remember watching that and Chris Kamara's reaction when they asked him was a tv classic and they still show that nowadays.  :4_joy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stan said:

2010. 

10 years ago already! How these clubs have fallen since then as well...

 

Ten years? I'm pretty sure it happened in February 2008.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2020 at 04:20, Smiley Culture said:

Life’s all a bit weird and shit at the minute. Pasta is a greater commodity than Gold and Toilet Roll is selling for more per gram than cocaine but I want to step away from the now and get all nostalgic about the Premier League and here we can wallow in nostalgia till life resumes to some form of normality. 

I’ll start...Stoke City. Shithouses. A massive set of big, nasty bastards with long throws, old fashioned target men and two footed tackles all over the place. What a side. Why they ever went away from what they were good at, I don’t know. I loved how Arsenal had lost at the Britannia the day the fixtures come out, let alone on the day. 

I didn’t appreciate how good of a first paragraph that was until just now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2020 at 21:08, The Palace Fan said:

Kevin Keegan's Newcastle. With David Ginola, Les Ferdinand, Peter Beardsley, Rob Lee, Warren Barton and Faustino Asprilla's great smile. Great times.

Watched Premier League years 1993/94. Andy Cole at Newcastle United was something else.

He has to be one of the most underrated Premier League strikers of all time given hes usually mentioned about his partnership with Dwight Yorke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yawn. Imagine coming onto a forum everyday, just to talk about a club you claim to be bigger than (megalolz). 
 

RENT FREE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement