• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Neverending German Football Quiz

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Round 2 answers

Question 1: Name the club that was the first to introduce a kit sponsor in the 1. Bundesliga. Which company was the sponsor? (2 pts)
Correct answer: Eintracht Braunschweig who introduced Jägermeister as the first ever kit sponsor in the 1. Bundesliga in their home match against Schalke on March 24th, 1973. It was a controversial move back then which was even vetoed by the DFB and there was a legal process started, but Jägermeister and Eintracht Braunschweig found a loophole by making the logo of the Jägermeister deer the club´s official crest. DFB had to accept that and Eintracht got 100000 DM from Jägermeister.

braunschweig2435_v-contentxl.jpg

@Faithcore, @Rucksackfranzose and @Tommy were the ones who correctly answered both parts of the question and take 2 points each. @Viva la FCB correctly named Jägermeister as the kit sponsor but got the wrong club, whereas @SchalkeUK got the club right but failed to name the sponsor - both get 1 point as a result. Wolfsburg with VW was the most popular answer, Leverkusen/Bayer and Bayern/T-Mobile were other suggested answers.

Question 2: Name the club that was the first in Germany (and in Europe) to open a cemetary for the fans (1 pt)
Correct answer: Hamburger SV in 2008 became the first club in Europe and the second club in the world after Boca Juniors to do it. The cemetary is only about 100m away from the stadium and the entry into it is through a shape of goal.

HSVFriedhof2.JPG

I was surpised with how many of you knew the right answer! @Dan, @SchalkeUK, @Rucksackfranzose, @Tommy all got it right. Schalke seemed to be the next most popular answer but unfortunately for those who chose it, Schalke was the second club to open a fan cemetary (in 2012).

Question 3: Which current 1. Bundesliga player is named after a Belgian comic character (1 pt)
Correct answer: Thorgan Hazard. He was named by his parents after a character, Thorgal Aegirsson, in a Belgian fantasy comic book that first appeared in serial form in Tintin magazine in the late 70s. The fictional character, who was born on another planet, was raised by Vikings after his spaceship crashed on Earth.

Nobody got this one right :(  There were some answers with the nicknames of players so maybe I worded it a bit poorly again... Unfortunately for @Faithcore, I couldn´t find any evidence that Tin Jedvaj was named after Rin Tin Tin. Likewise, I was hoping to find some evidence about Felix Kroos´ parents naming him after the cat from the comics and give @Spike  a point, but unfortunately that didn´t happen... :D Shout out to @Azeem  for bringing back Banjo Patterson xD 

Question 4: Which club holds the record of losing most DFB-Pokal finals? (1 pt)
Correct answer: Schalke 04 with 7 lost finals. 

@Rucksackfranzose and @SchalkeUK get 1 point each. There were quite a few different teams named here, with @Faithcore thinking his own club holds the infamous record (4 lost finals) while I learned from @Dan that his club holds the same record in England. Others named Dortmund, Bayern, HSV, Leverkusen, Bochum.

Question 5: Name five managers who each won the DFB-Pokal three times in their careers (5 pts)
Correct answer: Karl-Heinz Feldkamp, Hennes Weisweiler, Ottmar Hitzfeld, Udo Lattek, Otto Rehhagel und Thomas Schaaf. So it´s actually 6 managers and I just can´t count apparently (not the first time either). Either way, you get 1 point for each correct one.

@SchalkeUK was the only one to name 5 managers and get the maximum of points. I´m very disappointed with most of you for failing to mention the legend that is Thomas Schaaf. Also contrary to what most of you thought, Jupp Heynckes won the Pokal only once in 2013. The next best were @Rucksackfranzose (also included Schaaf so I was tempted to give a bonus point here haha), @Tommy  and @Faithcore with 4 correct names each. 

Question 6: Name the club which holds the record of most Pokal wins in row (1 pt)
Correct answer: Fortuna Düsseldorf with 18 (!) won matches in a row, an unbeatable run from August 1978 until January 1981 which was ended by Hertha BSC. No club has managed to beat this record since then.

Only @SchalkeUK got this one right. I´m disappointed with you, @Tommy :( Most of you unsurprisingly thought it was Bayern - you were close, as both Bayern and Köln are second best with 17 won matches in a row.

Question 7: Name the player who played football under the pseudonym Jay Goppingen for one year (1 pt)
Correct answer: the one and only, Jürgen Klinsmann. Used the pseudonym when he played for Orange County Blue Star in the US. The pseudonym is supposed to be Jay Göppingen (reffering to his place of birth) but umlauts are apparently too hard for the English-speaking world :ph34r:

A point goes to @Faithcore , @Tommy and @SchalkeUK .

Question 8: Name two German clubs that have Pele as a honorary member (2 pts)
Correct answer: RW Essen and 1. FC Köln

A bit random this one, so not surprisingly, nobody named both clubs correctly. @Rucksackfranzose and @SchalkeUK get 1 point each for naming Köln and RW Essen respectively.

Question 9: A British band once released a song about a German footballer and his sexy knees. Who was that footballer? (1 pt)
Correct answer: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in a hit song Rummenigge by Alan & Denise. What an earworm of a song :D 

Quite a popular one with 5 of you getting it right! Interestingly enough, three participants named Ballack xD 

Question 10: How high was the salary cap (in DM) for footballers when the 1. Bundesliga started its first season in 1963 (1 pt)
Correct answer: 1200 DM/month. The base salary was supposed to be between 250-500DM a month, and including the performance bonuses, the monthly pay was not allowed to exceed 1200DM a month. There was a special clause for extremely talented ones allowing them to earn more - for example, Uwe Seeler was earning 2500DM a month due to his extraordinary talent, but those special cases had to be confirmed by the league and the tax office. 

@SchalkeUK was the only one with the right answer. Other answers varied from 3000DM to 10000DM to 250000DM. Also some of you made me recalculate from € and $ but then the conversion wasn´t close enough to the right answer...

Scores and updated standings coming up in a minute.

• Subscriber

Round 2 scores:

1. @SchalkeUK - 14 pts

2. @Rucksackfranzose - 10 pts

3. @Tommy  - 9 pts

4. @Faithcore  - 8 pts

5. @Viva la FCB - 4 pts 

6. @Dan - 1 pt 

@Stan - 1 pt

7. @Azeem  - 0 pts

@Spike - 0 pts

Total scores after Round 2:

1. @SchalkeUK - 21 pts

2. @Rucksackfranzose - 18 pts

3. @Faithcore  - 16 pts

4. @Tommy  - 14 pts

5. @Viva la FCB - 5 pts 

6. @Dan - 4 pt 

@Stan - 4 pt

7. @Spike - 2 pts

8. @Azeem  - 1 pt

Granny - 1 pt

Let me know if there are any mistakes.

Round 3 questions coming up tomorrow!

• Subscriber
Just now, Bluewolf said:

Did you leave Granny off this week @nudge to try not discourage Stan further?? 

Only one person in history that I can think of that has had a worse start than Stan and that was Edward John Smith.... 

Oh yes sorry... Granny still at 1 point.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Did you leave Granny off this week @nudge to try not discourage Stan further?? 

Only one person in history that I can think of that has had a worse start than Stan and that was Edward John Smith.... 

Give it a break ffs

• Subscriber

Hamburg was a complete guess xD the Bochum thing I got slightly wrong - the stat is that Leicester have lost the most cup finals without ever winning it, rather than just losing the most finals. This is also apparently the stat that Bochum hold in Germany. Funny.

• Subscriber

There will be a delay with Round 3 questions as I just received a new work project earlier today. I'll still try to get it ready over the weekend. Sorry.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nudge said:

There will be a delay with Round 3 questions as I just received a new work project earlier today. I'll still try to get it ready over the weekend. Sorry.

@Faithcore have a word. 

• Subscriber

Done.

Round 3

1. Name the club that had to play a Bundesliga match in national team kits because their original kits were deemed to be too similar to the ones worn by their opponents. Bonus point for naming the opposing team as well. (2 pt)
2. The fans of which club were responsible for the first pitch invasion in the history of the 1. Bundesliga? (1 pt) 
3. Name the season when TV rights were first sold to TV channels in Germany (1 pt)
4. Floodlight matches were banned for one season in the history of German football. What was the reason for the ban? (1 pt)
5. What is the name of the combo drink named after a drunken referee that you can order in Bremen pubs? What does the drink combo consist of? (3 pts)
6. In 2000/2001 season, Köln´s mascot billy goat Hennes was banned from the stadium for two matches. Why? (1 pt)
7. Name the only club that won the 1. Bundesliga title and then got relegated the following season (1 pt)
8. Name three managers who hold the joint record of coaching most different clubs in 1. Bundesliga throughout their careers (3 pts)
9. How many football matches (approximately) are played every week in all tiers of German football under the organisation of DFB (including both professional and amateur football)? Hint: it´s probably more than you think! (1 pt) 
10. There was only one season in the history of the 1. Bundesliga so far where three top teams finished on equal points. Name those three teams (3 pts)

Please submit your answers until Thursday 00:00 CET.

@Azeem @Dan @Faithcore @Rucksackfranzose @SchalkeUK @Spike @Stan @Tommy @Viva la FCB 

• The title was changed to The Neverending German Football Quiz

Archived