The better place to talk football.

The Neverending German Football Quiz

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Azeem @Dan @Deco @Faithcore @Rucksackfranzose @Spike @Stan @Tommy @Viva la FCB 

Round 8 Answers

1. Which club was the founding member of the Bundesliga, but played there for one season only and never managed to get promoted again? (1 pt)

Preußen Münster. 
Correct answers: Deco, Faithcore, Rucksackfranzose, Tommy

2. Who holds the record of the fastest goal by a substitute player in 1. Bundesliga? (1 pt)

Stefan Ilsanker, 17 seconds after he was subbed on in the match against Werder Bremen last season.
Correct answers: Deco 

3. Which club had a nickname "Texas 11" for a few years after WWII? What was the reason for it? (2 pts)

Werder Bremen. They were known as "Texas-Elf" for a few years after WWII until the end of the 90s, as Texas was the name of the  most popular cigarette brand of a Bremen tobbaco company (Martin Brinkmann AG) that sponsored the club and that most of the players worked for at that time. 

WB862008-gr.jpg

Correct answers: Deco (1pts for correctly naming Werder), Rucksackfranzose (1pt for correctly naming the reason).

4. Which club had most players in the German national team that won the World Cup in 1954? (1 pt)

Kaiserslautern, with 5 players in the national team. HSV, Greuther Fürth and Köln were the next best-represented clubs with 2 players each.
Correct answers: Deco, Faithcore, Rucksackfranzose, Tommy, Viva la FCB

5. Which former manager had a beach chair installed for him next to the pitch in the clubs's stadium? (1 pt)

Volker Finke, he got the beach chair brought to Freiburg from the training camp in Langeoog and installed on the sidelines in the stadium. After he left the club, the chair sold in auction for almost 35000€. 
Correct answers: Faithcore, Rucksackfranzose, Tommy

6. Name the player who holds the record of being the oldest debutant in the 1. Bundesliga. How old was he at the time of his debut? (2 pts)

Richard Kreß, 38 years old at the time of his debut in 1. Bundesliga for Eintracht Frankfurt in 1963. 
Correct answers: none. There were a few close call on the age, but still not close enough.

7. Name three players who were called "the magic triangle" in mid 90s (3 pts)

The Stuttgart trio - Krassimir Balakov, Giovane Elber, Freddi Bobic. Scored 89 goals in 2 seasons they played together and led Stuttgart to the cup title.
Correct answers: Faithcore (3 pts), Rucksackfranzose (3 pts), Tommy (3 pts), Deco (2 pts), Stan (1 pt)

8. Which former national team player had to end his career because of a serious car accident? (1 pt)

Sepp Maier, who lost control of his Mercedes when it aquaplanned on a slippery road on his way home from a friendly and crashed with another car. He nearly died as initially the doctors in the hospital didn't realise he had internal bleeding due to ruptured diaphragma and his liver moving into his lung. His life was pretty much saved thanks to Uli Hoeneß visiting him the next day with a doctor friend of his, who saw that something was not right and organised Maier's transfer to a different hospital, where he underwent an urgent life-saving surgery. After weeks in hospital and losing a lot of weight, Maier tried to return to the team training, but the pain was unbearable and he was forced to retire.
Correct answers: none.

9. Who holds the record of most goals scored in a DFB Pokal match? How many goals did he score? (2 pts)

Carsten Jancker, 6 goals for Kaiserlsautern against Schönberg. He scored all of them within 40 minutes in the 2nd half of the match.
Correct answers: none, but Rucksackfranzose gets 1 pt for correct number of goals scored.

10.Which player holds the record of the longest-range goal in 1. Bundesliga? What was the distance) (2 pts)

Moritz Stoppelkamp, from 82.3 m in Paderborn v Hannover match in 2014/2015 season. 

Correct answers: Deco (2 pts), Faithcore (2 pts), Stan (1 pt for the right distance), Azeem (0.5 pt for "that Paderborn player").

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 8 Scores:

1. Deco - 9 pts
  2. Faithcore - 8 pts
    Rucksackfranzose - 8 pts
  3. Tommy - 6 pts
  4. Stan - 2 pts
  5. Viva la FCB - 1 pt
  6. Azeem - 0.5 pt
  7. Spike - 0 pts

Standings after Round 8:

1. Rucksackfranzose - 48 pts
  2. Faithcore - 46 pts
  3. Tommy - 35 pts
  4. SchalkeUK - 29 pts
  5. Deco - 21 pts
  6. Stan - 19 pts
  7. Viva la FCB - 12 pts
  8. Dan - 9 pts
  9. Azeem - 7 pts
  10. Spike - 5 pts
  11. Relling - 2 pts

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

@nudge Thought you were looking for Robert Schlienz at question 8. Never knew about maier having a car accident as well.

Had to look it up, and it would have made for a very interesting question... Apparently Schlienz continued his career and even made his debut for the national team after amputation :o 

@Faithcore had another interesting answer with Klaus Toppmöller, but he was also able to continue his career after the accident.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Junior Malanda's career DID end because of a car crash though

Yeah I know, technically you might be right - being dead kinda forces you to end your career. He was not a national team player though :whistling:

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

that means it isn't international!?

Jesus Christ. What I meant was a) a former German national team player for the senior team, not one of the youth setups in other countries; and b) someone who was forced to retire as a result of the injuries sustained in the car crash, not someone whose career ended because he fucking died in one. Yes; I realise that it's possible to understand it differently if you want to, but I already spend way too much time doing research and thinking of all those question, so I'm not going to waste even more of it arguing semantics. I'll give you a bloody point if that means so much to you xD 

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Jesus Christ. What I meant was a) a former German national team player for the senior team, not one of the youth setups in other countries; and b) someone who was forced to retire as a result of the injuries sustained in the car crash, not someone whose career ended because he fucking died in one. Yes; I realise that it's possible to understand it differently if you want to, but I already spend way too much time doing research and thinking of all those question, so I'm not going to waste even more of it arguing semantics. I'll give you a bloody point if that means so much to you xD 

Calm down ffs, I was just joking around

• 6 months later...
  • Subscriber

Alright then... here we go, gentlemen. I'm tagging those who took part before, but everyone else is welcome to join, of course.

Round 9

1. Who was the first manager to get booked in the history of the 1. Bundesliga (1 pt.)
2. Name the club whose fans successfully tricked Google into censoring the stadium of their rivals out of Google Maps? (1 pt.)
3. In early 90s, a German club sensationally won 7-0 against Valencia in the 2nd round of the UEFA Cup. 4 goals in this match were scored by a player who survived a serious accident just a week before, with his car somersaulting four times. Name the German club and the player (2 pts)
4. Name the club that once had their pre-season training/survival camp in the wilderness, with no electricity or running water, with players baking bread and preparing food for themselves. Additional point for naming the country where the training camp happened (2 pts.)
5. Name the ex-Bundesliga player who so desperately wanted to move to another club and play for them in the CL, that he lied about having injured himself by lifting up his child in order to avoid being cup-tied (1 pts)
6. During the 2004 season, a 2. Bundesliga player agreed to join another club at the end of the season as they were promotion favourites at the time, whereas his club failed to get promoted for two years in a row. A few months later, during the last matchday of the season, the said player scored two goals, securing promotion for his "old" club at the expense of his "new" club and thus missed out on playing in 1. Bundesliga next season as a result. Name the player and the two clubs (3 pts)
7. In 2001, an Australian player (currently a manager in the A-League) was involved in a corruption scandal named "the suitcase affair", in which paperwork of his ex-club was said to be falsified by his dodgy agent in order to get a transfer fee for him, despite him being out of contract. Name the German club involved, bonus point if you can name the player, too (2 pts)
8. In the 60s, a German club played against an English club in the quarterfinals of the Champions League. Both legs ended in goalless draws, so according to the rules at the time, there was a third match to decide the outcome. This one also ended in another draw (2:2) after extra time, and as penalty shootouts were not a thing at the time, the match was to be decided by a wooden coin toss. However, the first attempt to decide the winner was also unsuccessful, as the coin landed on the ground on its edge. The English club advanced after the second coin toss. Name the two clubs involved (2 pts)
9. Name the manager who once had to wear a bulletproof vest during the match due to the threats he received prior to the game. Bonus point for naming the reason for the threats against him (2 pt)
10. What was the first team in the history of the 1. Bundesliga to not field any German player in their starting XI? (1 pt)

Azeem @Dan @Deco @Faithcore @Rucksackfranzose @Spike @Stan @Tommy @Viva la FCB 

• The title was changed to The Neverending German Football Quiz

Archived