talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Neverending German Football Quiz

• Subscriber

Alright then. Brace yourselves for inevitable disappointment :ph34r:

zeem @Dan @Deco @Faithcore @Relling @Rucksackfranzose @Spike @Stan @Tommy @Viva la FCB 

Round 6 Answers

Question 1. Name the Regionalliga club which has recently announced plans to focus on signing local players only in the future? (1 pt)
Answer: TuS Haltern. They intend to follow a model similar to Athletic Bilbao and focus on signing players from the region in the future. A familiar face involved with it - Benedikt Höwedes.

Only one correct answer here (Rucksackfranzose). As mentioned earlier, I'm somewhat surprised by this, as it was quite widely reported in German media (I'll let the non-Germans off the hook here).

==============================================================================
Question 2. A Bundesliga match was cancelled in 2008 because the pitch was damaged during a concert at the stadium a few days before the match. Name the artist who held the concert (1 pt)
Answer: Madonna on her Sticky & Sweet Tour

I knew most of you were going to say Rammstein for this one :D Well that is wrong, Rammstein fans are respectable citizens who don't destroy football pitches. Contrary to the nasty Madonna fans, apparently, who messed the place up while listening to Like a Virgin. Hardcore.
Surprise surprise - one of you managed to get it right! (Deco)

===============================================================================
Question 3. Name a 2. Bundesliga player who failed a doping test in 2005 and blamed it on a hair regrowth shampoo? (1 pt)
Answer: Nemanja Vucicevic of 1860 München. He tested positive for Finasterid and claimed it was due to him unknowingly using a hair growth product containing the said banned substance. This might well be true, but Finasterid can also be used in hormone therapy for transgender women, so we can only wonder... Either way, he was banned for 6 months.

Only one correct answer again, and again, it's Rucksackfranzose. 

================================================================================
Question 4. Name a 3. Liga club whose fans got the headlines for throwing a few kilograms of fresh fish at the opposition fans during the match a few years ago. Bonus point for naming the other club involved (2 pts)
Answer: Hansa Rostock fans in an away match against Jena in 2017. Here's a (poor) video of the said action. Sharing is caring.

So, what do we have here? Deco gets maximum points for correctly naming both clubs. Faithcore and Stan get 1 point each for naming Hansa Rostock as the fish-throwing team. Well done!

=================================================================================
Question 5. Name the player who faked an injury during his last career game and showed his naked arse to the audience as a farewell (1 pt)
Answer: Wolfgang Kleff, in what was supposed to be his last career match for Fortuna Düsseldorf due to his contract not being extended by the club. Before the match, Kleff asked the manager to substitute him before the final whistle as he wanted to get a proper send off by the fans. The manager disagreed, so Kleff faked injury in the 73rd minute of the match, got substituted and went on the last lap of honour, giving away his shirt, gloves, boots for the fans applauding him. Finally having arrived to the main stand, he turned around, bent down, pulled down his shorts and flashed his bottom at the audience - including the team president. Some say it was the answer to the club's management not extending his contract, years later Kleff said it was just a reaction to the fans asking for his shorts (right, very believable). Directly after the match, he's quoted as saying "Für die Fans gebe ich mein letztes Hemd, für manch andere nur meinen Arsch", so it's likely that the first explanation might be the real one...

Sadly, no correct answers here :( I'm giving half a point to Azeem though, considering he was the only one to at least get the first name right xD 

==================================================================================
Question 6. Name a former 1. Bundesliga and national team player who once left the stadium after being substituted at half time and had to borrow 5 DM from a fan in order to pay for the train ticket back home (1 pt)
Answer: Jens Lehmann in 1993, during the match against Leverkusen that Schalke lost 1:5. He had a poor first half and was getting abused by the fans, so the manager substituted him at half time and told him to go home. So he left the stadium, went to the train station and only then noticed that he hasn't got any money. Luckily for him, there was a frustrated Schalke fan who has already left the stadium too and was willing to pay 5 DM for Lehmann's ticket home.

Thought this was a quite well known story... We have two correct answers here (Faithcore and Rucksackfranzose).

===================================================================================
Question 7. Name the animal that the original DFB Pokal (at that time Tschammer-Pokal) trophy was named after (1 pt)
Answer: Golden pheasant, the trophy was officially called Goldfasanen-Pokal from 1935 to 1943. After the war and once the Cup competition has restarted in 1952, the trophy remained the same (bar the Hakenkreuz which was removed and substituted with the DFB logo) until 1965 when it was forever replaced by the current one.

s

Seems that this is a poorly known part of the cup history. No correct answers here. The majority of you thought it was named after a lion.

====================================================================================
Question 8. Berti Vogts made his debut for the German National Team in 1967. However, despite not being a nominated player, he went to England as a member of the Germany's World Cup delegation in 1966 already. What position did he hold there officially? (1 pt)
Answer: A ballboy. He missed out on being nominated, but his coaches managed to get him to England as part of the delegation anyway.

Viva la FCB gets a point for being almost right. Water boy, ball boy, same thing. Spike's answer "official ambassador to the good wellbeing and cultural enrichment of nations of english bitters and germans wheat beers, except in German it is one word OffiziellerBotschafterFürDasGuteWohlbefindenUnDieKulturelleBereicherungDerNationenDer EnglischenBitter-undDeutschenWeizenbiere" is a worthy mention too xD 

=====================================================================================
Question 9. Name the 1. Bundesliga club that once hired a Croatian healer guru with self-proclaimed supernatural abilities to help the team in a crisis (1 pt)
Answer: FC Schalke 04 in 2008/2009 season. The Crotian healer guru Jasmin Mehmedovic later sued Schalke for allegedly failing to pay 47500 Euro for the important services provided by him, such as energetically charged water for the players to drink before the match to give them superpowers, for example :ph34r: So he was pretty much Getafix in the Schalke version of Asterix & Obelix, just got the wrong recipe for the magic potion.

No correct answers here :( 

=======================================================================================
Question 10. Name the former 1. Bundesliga and national team player who claimed to have been peed on by one of his teammates in the shower at the start of his career (1 pt)
Answer: Oliver Kahn at the start of his career at Karlsruhe. Kind of explains his uncontrolled anger later on :ph34r:

No correct answers here...

=======================================================================================

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Round 6 results:

1. Deco - 3 pts
    Rucksackfranzose - 3 pts
  2. Faithcore - 2 pts
  3. Stan - 1 pt
    Viva la FCB - 1 pt
  4. Azeem - 0,5 pt
  5. Dan - 0 pts
    Relling - 0 pts
    Spike - 0 pts
    Tommy - 0 pts

Scores after Round 6:

1. Rucksackfranzose - 34 pts
  2. Faithcore - 33 pts
  3. SchalkeUK - 29 pts
  4. Tommy - 23 pts
  5. Stan - 13 pts
  6. Viva la FCB - 9 pts
  7. Deco - 8 pts
  8. Dan - 7 pts
  9. Spike - 4 pts
  10. Azeem - 3 pts
  11. Relling - 2 pts
  12. Granny - 1 pt

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Azeem said:

Yes i knew Wolfgang will come somewhere :D

@Dan has tried a similar approach by answering half of the questions with Torsten Frings xD 

• Subscriber

I don't even know why Torsten Frings, I think I did him twice and now it's just going to stick. I guarantee though he is the answer to a future question and I get it wrong.

I also apologise for my lateness! The slump has set in now and I'm sliding down the table. I am Huddersfield Town 2017/18. Totally out of my depth but a surprisingly OK start might save me from the drop.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Dan said:

I don't even know why Torsten Frings, I think I did him twice and now it's just going to stick. I guarantee though he is the answer to a future question and I get it wrong.

I also apologise for my lateness! The slump has set in now and I'm sliding down the table. I am Huddersfield Town 2017/18. Totally out of my depth but a surprisingly OK start might save me from the drop.

No worries, I haven't had much time myself so I wouldn't have updated it earlier anyway...

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Faithcore said:

Proud of us. Think we did great considering Inga once again made up most of the questions

yes my 1pt was well earned

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Neverending German Football Quiz

Archived