talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Neverending German Football Quiz

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning Dan.  If you ever get chance to do the Veltins 'tour' you will see the strange way the stadium has adapted to modern needs and one of the things you are always told is the amounts of Veltins consumed and brewed for each game and how long the pipes in the stadium are and how they get the beer from the store to the many kiosks around - lenth is thereby not a secret but the chance to watch the seats moving and the pitch rolling in (or out) is almost one of the wonders of the modern world - trouble is it takes up to six hours to complete and by the end of it the consumption has blurred the overall vision completely - nice really!!!

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Good morning Dan.  If you ever get chance to do the Veltins 'tour' you will see the strange way the stadium has adapted to modern needs and one of the things you are always told is the amounts of Veltins consumed and brewed for each game and how long the pipes in the stadium are and how they get the beer from the store to the many kiosks around - lenth is thereby not a secret but the chance to watch the seats moving and the pitch rolling in (or out) is almost one of the wonders of the modern world - trouble is it takes up to six hours to complete and by the end of it the consumption has blurred the overall vision completely - nice really!!!

It's not the size of the pipe that matters, it's what you do with it that counts :ph34r:

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

It was a complete guess to be honest, I've never done the tour but I have seen the Veltins Arena from a distance - I was on top of the Ruhr Museum (I think?) as we had a transport related trip out that way in October 2018 however it was half term so it was a bit pointless really and they found things for us to fill our time with.

I've been outside Dortmund's ground too but never done a game at either ground.

Always got to be careful with Schalke and Dortmund though as Bochum are my German team and Bochum hate both :D I do like it out that way though, must be pretty unreal having so many good sized clubs in one area.

35 minutes ago, Dan said:

It was a complete guess to be honest, I've never done the tour but I have seen the Veltins Arena from a distance - I was on top of the Ruhr Museum (I think?) as we had a transport related trip out that way in October 2018 however it was half term so it was a bit pointless really and they found things for us to fill our time with.

I've been outside Dortmund's ground too but never done a game at either ground.

Always got to be careful with Schalke and Dortmund though as Bochum are my German team and Bochum hate both :D I do like it out that way though, must be pretty unreal having so many good sized clubs in one area.

Strange that - I spend a lot of time in Bochum when I visit my friends in Herne and often wear the 04 kit on the way to games via Bochum - not had a problem other than the usual comment (going to draw again to day?) and usually warm grins!  Regret that they are still in BL2 'cos the games used to be great against them and we often fix up pre-season get togethers with players of both sides who like Leon G have been at both camps.  The skating venue is brilliant if you can get to see it sometime (Lloyd-Webbers thing)  I usually end up in the heights in the BVB yellow wall when I go to a derby and it's friendly - noisy - rude in a funny way - and never feeling threatened or unsafe even with the Beer and Bratwurst in full flow! I have often sat amongst families with young kids who are brilliantly happy to be there.  The railway station at BVB is unbelievable as 70000plus seem to disappear within an hour at the end of a game.  You must try it sometime - life is unfulfilled without the experience of a BL derby anywhere - not quite like City v United or Celtic v Rangers - sort of unthreatened passion if you see what I mean!

The Ruhrstadion is a much cooler ground anyway. Some people seem not to like it but I think it's great. I don't really know how to describe it best in English but is hat that retro vibe and flair and is not like any other stadium these days.

Also I have to admit they have the best stadium Currywurst there and Moritz Fiege is decent as well. 

5 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Strange that - I spend a lot of time in Bochum when I visit my friends in Herne and often wear the 04 kit on the way to games via Bochum - not had a problem other than the usual comment (going to draw again to day?) and usually warm grins!  Regret that they are still in BL2 'cos the games used to be great against them and we often fix up pre-season get togethers with players of both sides who like Leon G have been at both camps.  The skating venue is brilliant if you can get to see it sometime (Lloyd-Webbers thing)  I usually end up in the heights in the BVB yellow wall when I go to a derby and it's friendly - noisy - rude in a funny way - and never feeling threatened or unsafe even with the Beer and Bratwurst in full flow! 

• Subscriber

Alright gentlemen; here come the new questions. 

Round 2

1. Name the club that was the first to introduce a kit sponsor in the 1. Bundesliga. Which company was the sponsor? (2 pts)
  2. Name the club that was the first in Germany (and in Europe) to open a cemetery for the fans. (1 pt) 
  3. Which current 1. Bundesliga player is named after a comic character? (1 pt)
  4. Which club holds the record of losing most DFB-Pokal finals? (1 pt)
  5. Name five managers who each won the DFB-Pokal three times in their careers. (6 pts)
  6. Name the club which holds the record of most Pokal wins in row. (1 pt)
  7. Name the player who played football under the pseudonym Jay Goppingen for one year. (1 pt)
  8. Name two German clubs that have Pele as a honorary member. (2 pts)
  9. A British band once released a song about a German footballer and his sexy knees. Who was that footballer? (1 pt)
10. How high was the salary cap (in DM) for footballers when the 1. Bundesliga started its first season in 1963? (1 pt)

Please submit your answers until Saturday 00:00 CET.

@Faithcore @Tommy @Rucksackfranzose @Azeem @Viva la FCB @Dan @Stan @SchalkeUK @Spike

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Hey nudge - did you know that ex-player Alan Whittle is the uncle of young Tom Davies who plays for Everton.  What's that got to do with the quiz - Q9 is the clue.

No, I most certainly didn't. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, SchalkeUK said:

Strange that - I spend a lot of time in Bochum when I visit my friends in Herne and often wear the 04 kit on the way to games via Bochum - not had a problem other than the usual comment (going to draw again to day?) and usually warm grins!  Regret that they are still in BL2 'cos the games used to be great against them and we often fix up pre-season get togethers with players of both sides who like Leon G have been at both camps.  The skating venue is brilliant if you can get to see it sometime (Lloyd-Webbers thing)  I usually end up in the heights in the BVB yellow wall when I go to a derby and it's friendly - noisy - rude in a funny way - and never feeling threatened or unsafe even with the Beer and Bratwurst in full flow! I have often sat amongst families with young kids who are brilliantly happy to be there.  The railway station at BVB is unbelievable as 70000plus seem to disappear within an hour at the end of a game.  You must try it sometime - life is unfulfilled without the experience of a BL derby anywhere - not quite like City v United or Celtic v Rangers - sort of unthreatened passion if you see what I mean!

I think it's probably the same way they describe 'hate' for Schalke in the way we would describe it for Forest, yet I'm pretty sure a Forest fan could wear their colours in Leicester with no issue other than the odd comment really, I don't think it's anything too deep rooted.

I'd like to go but I know it's hard getting tickets. When I was in Germany for that weekend I wanted to go to a game in that area - I hadn't been to Bochum by that point but strangely I was going a month later anyway, Leverkusen was the only one I could get a ticket for, no luck with Schalke or Gladbach. I probably didn't plan it that well though.

• Subscriber

I have a feeling that my wording for question 6 was a bit confusing. It´s supposed to be a record of most won Pokal matches in a row - not titles in a row. If it got you confused feel free to send a new answer for that question!

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, nudge said:

I have a feeling that my wording for question 6 was a bit confusing. It´s supposed to be a record of most won Pokal matches in a row - not titles in a row. If it got you confused feel free to send a new answer for that question!

I'll stick with my original answer as that's the correct answer (I think) for the original question. Thanks @nudge

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

I definitely got tripped on it for a second but I really dont know the answer so Ill stick with my original guess. I think I improved on my 1 correct question last week. Im fairly sure I got 2 xD

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

I definitely got tripped on it for a second but I really dont know the answer so Ill stick with my original guess. I think I improved on my 1 correct question last week. Im fairly sure I got 2 xD

You got more :) 

• The title was changed to The Neverending German Football Quiz

Archived