talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Neverending German Football Quiz

1 minute ago, Coma said:

Wasn't it usually like that back in the day? At least in the 50's and 60's.

I still think it is special now if your team has someone in the squad who was born in the city or is at least from the area. At Fortuna Düsseldorf we only have Emmanuel Iyoha at the moment. 

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
29 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I still think it is special now if your team has someone in the squad who was born in the city or is at least from the area

Love it, especially when there's a few. We have Barnes, Choudhury, Dewsbury-Hall, Thomas. It's great when an academy product is successful through the ranks. 

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Wasn't it usually like that back in the day? At least in the 50's and 60's.

I still think it is special now if your team has someone in the squad who was born in the city or is at least from the area. At Fortuna Düsseldorf we only have Emmanuel Iyoha at the moment. 

It is the reason why I have a soft spot for TuS Haltern and keep an eye on their results. They willingly decided against seeking sporting success at any cost and chose the concept where the focus is put on developing players from the city and its surroundings. 

3 hours ago, nudge said:

It is the reason why I have a soft spot for TuS Haltern and keep an eye on their results. They willingly decided against seeking sporting success at any cost and chose the concept where the focus is put on developing players from the city and its surroundings. 

I follow Athletic Bilbao's results in Spain for similar reasons.  They are a member-owned club and they only recruit from within the Basque area, although they have made exceptions over the years based on parental lineage.

1 hour ago, Coma said:

Just Wikipedia'd him. 

Gütschow was an unofficial employee of the GDR's state security. Among other things, he spied on his team-mate Matthias Sammer at Dynamo Dresden. As the reason for his cooperation, Gütschow claims to have been blackmailed.

Interesting. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just Wikipedia'd him. 

Gütschow was an unofficial employee of the GDR's state security. Among other things, he spied on his team-mate Matthias Sammer at Dynamo Dresden. As the reason for his cooperation, Gütschow claims to have been blackmailed.

Interesting. 

So was Ulf Kirsten. 

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

That calendar is strikingly East German dominated, baring in mind West Germany was not only the more-populated nation but also the much more successful one. Not complaining, though, since I got a lot less knowledga about East German than West German football. 

Yes, the poster is a DDR history buff. The lower league football I watch is primarily Nordost so I enjoy his content.

1 minute ago, Coma said:

Nice. I've been to both cities last year. Karl Marx Stadt is now called Chemnitz. Not a pretty city. The city center is okay, but as soon as you leave it, it's a real dump. And they have a random giant Karl Marx head in the middle of the city. xD

Aue and the direct neighbour regions in the Erzgebirge are quite nice though. 

Archived