The better place to talk football.

The Neverending German Football Quiz

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Waiting... - GIF on Imgur

Still waiting for answers (or at least a note telling me to fuck off) from quite a few people... Will reveal the answers on the weekend, either way.

13 hours ago, nudge said:

Still waiting for answers (or at least a note telling me to fuck off) from quite a few people... Will reveal the answers on the weekend, either way.

Then there those that tell you to fuck off as they give you their answers :whistling:

• Subscriber

Round 12 Answers

1. In the 70s, the managing staff of one Bundesliga club secretly poured water on the pitch at night before the match against their rivals, as they wanted it to be postponed. Name the club and the main reason why they desperately wanted the match to be postponed. Bonus point for naming their rivals, too (3 pts)

Bochum. They were in a dire financial situation and were supposed to temporarily move to a bigger stadium in a few days (as renovation works were starting in their own stadium), so in order to get more money from attendances, they did what they had to do to get the match postponed. 

2. How many foreigners were playing in the first Bundesliga season ever? Which country did most of them come from? (2 pts)

Only 5 foreigners in total - 2 Yugoslavs, 1 Austrian, 1 Turk, 1 Dutch.

3. Name the manager who forced his players to race against horces as a method of training. Which club was he managing at that time? (2 pts)

Rudi Gutendorf, Schalke.

4. In 1971, there was a Bundesliga match-fixing scandal which ended with 52 players, 2 managers and 6 club officials getting banned and fined, and with two clubs (Bielefeld and Offenbach) getting their licenses revoked and relegated. After the scandal, many of banned players moved to one country. What was that country, and what was the main reason they moved there? (2 pt)

South Africa, as due to Apartheid, it didn't belong to FIFA at that time, so they could continue playing football there.

5. Name the club that had the first ever official fanclub in Germany. (1 pt)

Vfl Bochum in 1972, when the club's official gathered a bunch of fans and helped them organise into a first official fanclub which was very originally named "Fanklub" xD Later changed its name to Bochumer Jungen 1972.

6. Name the first ever club in Germany to pay a million for a player. (1 pt)

FC Köln in 1976 when they bought Roger Van Gool from FC Brügge for 1 million DM.

7. Name the manager who got so drunk before the away game that he missed the departure of the team bus, tried to catch up in his car but got stopped by the police as he was four times over the alcohol limit, and then later fell asleep on the bench during the match (1 pt).

Branko Zebec in 1980, when his HSV were playing BVB away. He even took a nap in the team bus during the halftime break. 

8. Name the club that set a precedent in the Bundesliga when they sacked half of the squad after the players mutinied against the manager and tried to get him removed. (1 pt)

Nürnberg in 1984, when Heinz Höher was in charge. They had just got relegated in previous season, and were not playing well in 2. Liga either. Most of the squad was unhappy with Höher's coaching methods, so they organised themselves and published an open letter against their manager in the local newspaper, hoping it would lead to the club sacking him. However, the club decided to stand by their manager and sacked half of the squad instead. It turned out to be the right decision, as the remaining team now full of youngsters managed to turn things around and get promoted back to 1. Bundesliga, and three years later even qualified for the Uefa-Cup.

9. Name the former Bundesliga player who got his nickname from an Australian comedy movie of the 80s (1 pt).

Sean Dundee, nicknamed "The Crocodile" based on the Crocodile Dundee movie.

10. A few years ago, Werder Bremen suspended two U-23 players for eating something before the team's bus trip to an away match. What was the food item in question? (1 pt)

A baguette sandwich. Apparently, the manager at the time (Alex Nouri) thought that it was highly unprofessional to eat such junk food before the match, and suspended the two players (Leon Guwara and Melvyn Lorenzen) on the spot.

Round 12 Points:

1.  @Tommy - 6pts
  2. @Faithcore - 4 pts
    @Rucksackfranzose - 4 pts
  3. @ROBBIEFC - 2 pts
  4.  @Stan - 1 pt
  5. @Coma - 0 pts
     @Eco - 0 pts
     @Khan of TF365 - 0 pts
     @Viva la FCB - 0 pts

Standings after Round 12:

1. Rucksackfranzose - 80 pts
  2. Faithcore - 76 pts
  3. Tommy - 61 pts
  4. Stan - 30 pts
  5. SchalkeUK - 29 pts
  6. Deco - 21 pts
  7. Viva la FCB - 18 pts
  8. Dan - 16 pts
  9. ROBBIEFC - 14 pts
  10. Spike - 12 pts
  11. Khan of TF365 - 9 pts
  12. Eco - 8 pts
  13. Coma - 6 pts 
  14. Relling - 2 pts 
  15. nudge (-1 pt)

As expected, this turned out to be a tough one xD No big changes in the table, just @Tommy closing the gap to the two leaders after winning the round. If there are any mistakes, left me know...

Most of the questions in this round were taken from this book:

51+fXzdirdL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

English version:

812-SfwsZqL.jpg

Highly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of the league; a great read.

I don't think the original version of question #4 specified that South Africa was where the players moved to.  It asked what country and why?  I demand compensation because I might have guessed apartheid.  0.5 points seems fair given the circumstances.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Coma said:

I don't think the original version of question #4 specified that South Africa was where the players moved to.  It asked what country and why?  I demand compensation because I might have guessed apartheid.  0.5 points seems fair given the circumstances.

Copied the wrong version of the question in the answers 😂 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Knowing me I'd have still got Q4 wrong even if @nudge did write South Africa in the question xD 

Obviously it was no help to me.  The only way for me to accumulate points is to critique the wording of the questions.  I've been reduced to lawyering and loopholes.

Archived