• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Alone

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nudge said:

I don't think I finished even Season 1 haha... Good show though. 

I'm keen on Season 4 because that's when Jim Baird (who has an awesome YT channel) took place. I hear the latest season was near Great Slave Lake which is in the NWT so that's a yes for me too. 

Just watched episodes 4, 5 and 6. Here are my thoughts

Nikki is good but she's so prone to error. I'm surprised she's still around, has made too many mistakes.

Ray is a bit of a nerd. He had no plan for food. Didn't do any traps or similar shit. Just focused on his shelter. No surprise he finished bottom 3.

Jordan and Winoya are badasses. I reckon those are the top 2. That moose kill on his second try was insane.

Think I accidentally skipped an episode. Here are my thoughts on 8 assuming this was it.

Jordan Jones, what a man. Hunted a Wolverine after it stole all his moose meat then made an elevated food cache so that he could store his food safely.

Somebody tapped out in the last episode. I'd guess it was that dude from San Antonio Texas who looked like he would at the end of episode 6 before that cliffhanger. I'll find out soon enough.

That Nikki is a bloody amateur. She's clearly got skill but she makes such stupid decisions and silly mistakes. Got bit by a squirrel in this episode.

Episode 9

I feel bad for Nikki for having to be carried away like that, but she was never going to win in my eyes. Too prone to error really.

Surprised Jordan lost his food with that cache. The wolverines are hella smart!

Keen to see what happens to Barry now that the lake is frozen.

Just finished the season!

I'll give my opinions on all the contestants.

Jordan Jonas - Deserved winner of this. WIth that Moose kill being historic for the show, he had to win. Even with all the Wolverines stealing his food. He didn't train in Siberia for nothing and it showed. Also had the smarts and that lead him to winning after 77 days.

Donny Dust - Felt he could have gone farther if he had investigated that Muskrat more. Only lasted 8 days and clearly knew his shit, but he obviously was lacking in one important thing and that was culinary knowledge. Had a sad backstory too, but for his health it was for the best he had to be evacuated.

Ray Livingston - What a nerd this guy was. He had no plan for fishing or hunting and only knew how to make a good shelter. No surprise to me he lasted so little.

Brady Nichols - Very forgettable. I know him more as that guy from San Antonio, Texas. If I recall correctly he tapped out thanks to psychological reasons. Doesn't seem bad but definitely not one of the best.

Michelle Wohlberg - She was good. Had a strong accent and was easy to remember because of that. I think middle of the pack described her well and that's exactly around the spot she finished.

Nathan Donnelly - Probably my 2nd favourite. Even with starvation he managed to stay composed and was able to speak well. Not become delusional and he showed that even when he tapped out. Very stupid way to lose though. Have to be more careful with fire that far into the fall!

Tim Backus - Bloody amateur. Others lost due to not finding enough food, missing their families more than 50 days in. This guy lost on day 3 for falling on a bunch of rocks. Absolute moron.

Nikki Van Schyndel - I grew into her a bit more near the end. That teddy bear she made was smart for psycological reasons and didn't think she was that crazy in doing so. Got unlucky in that medical check. Besides that, very error prone and probably should have gone out earlier. Definitely thought she was likeable though.

Barry Karcher - As soon as the lake froze, he was done. All he could do is fish. I don't remember him ever hunting a land animal. Had no plan after that and became a bit delusional. That medical check that got him pulled away was pretty obvious.

Woniya Thibeault - As I predicted, it was either her or Jordan to win and they would be the top 2. She must be gutted to find she was 2nd, but given that fish Jordan got after her loss, she didn't really stand a chance. Well deserved runner up as she was a pro, but against Jordan was goliath unfortunately for her.

Watching Season 1 now. 5 episodes in.

Didn't know Northern Vancouver Island was this intense. Those Cougars especially are hella scary!

One thing I am finding in Season 1 though is that some of the survivors are a bit forgettable compared to Season 6, but that's probably because they developed the show since. Made the backstories clearer and focused more time on certain characters.

Just finished season 1. @nudge what did you think of the contestants from what you've seen?

Here are my thoughts on each. Apologies if some of the descriptions are a bit sloppy, but 5 of the 10 were pretty forgettable.

Josh Chavez - Maybe I'm just naive but I think it's stupid that he came out to the woods to be scared away after 1 day. I don't want to call him an amateur though. He's definitely not proven he is.

Chris Weatherman - Same as above really. Lost for similar reasons.

Joe Robinet - He's talented and has some serious bushcraft skills as he's proved on his Youtube channel, but maybe he wasn't prepared for such an experience. Shame really.

Wayne Russell - The only thing I remember about him is that he's from New Brunswick. Other than that, not a whole lot going for him.

Brant McGree - Of the 6 that went out in the first 6 days, Brant was the most interesting. Had an awesome backstory and got unlucky in his judgement of what was saltwater and freshwater. Similar to Donny Dust in Season 6 really.

Dustin Feher - Again like Chris, very forgettable. Out of all of them this is actually the bloke I remember the least. Just remember him as the guy from Pittsburgh.

Lucas Miller - He was my bet to win the whole thing. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. Just didn't have the resiliency. Thought in terms of raw talent though, he was the top guy. Excellent builder and extremely innovative. I actually was cheering for him at one point.

Mitch Mitchell - As soon as he said his mother had brain cancer, he fell in my books. What was he doing there in the first place instead of supporting his mother. The money surely wouldn't do him good if it can take months to win. Not only that but he moaned constantly about wanting to leave. Really he did nothing but I at least applaud him for doing better than the first 6 eliminations.

Sam Larson - For his age, he was excellent. Was a fun bloke and was very resilient. Had an OK plan for food, but nothing that was going to win him the game. Definitely warranted a top 3 spot though I think.

Alan Kay - Can't dispute his win. He deserved it for how resilient he was out there. Lost a lot of weight but overall had a solid plan for food and managed to keep himself from massive hunger and that led him to the win. Awesome accent too.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

Just finished season 1. @nudge what did you think of the contestants from what you've seen?

Haha I watched it quite a while ago so really don't remember the names at all... I mostly recall the funny moments like one of the participants painting a pair of eyes on the back of his cap hoping that would scare the predators away or another guy shouting "hey bear!" when he came across one xD 

I really need to watch the other seasons at some point...

• 2 months later...

Started watching Season 2 now. I must say this season has the least interesting cast so far, but that Spaniard who lives in the Yukon is hella interesting. Lives in a cabin in the middle of the woods. I think he's going to make top 3.

Season 2 contestants...

Desmond White - the worst contestant of the show so far that I've seen. He lasted literally 5 hours after he saw bear shit. Even though he said in his preview that "the bear is gonna run away from me". Clown.

Mary Kate Green - I can barely remember her to be honest.

Tracy Wilson - She had a history with aggressiveness so I can't blame her to leave after getting aggressive with the animals. She was one of my candidates but had a perfectly valid reason to leave

Mike Lowe - Another forgettable one, but if I recall correctly it's because he wasn't given much screen time. All I remember is him playing American Football board game with rocks.

Randy Champagne - Creep. He started out alright but then became this religious and spiritual freak out of depression, dunking himself into water in a "spiritual way" and chanting in his tarp. Glad he went out early.

Justin Vititoe - I know who he is, but can't remember what he did well.

Nicole Apellan - Very sad backstory but despite that she was very cheery and one of the happiest contestants I've seen on the show so far. She also had a great plan A for food. Once that fell apart, she didn't really have a plan B. That plan A was very effective though.

Jose Martinez - The most interesting one here, to the point I was actually cheering for him because the other contestants left were so uninteresting and did nothing of note. Jose was composed and had lots of intelligence. He also lived in the middle of the woods in the Yukon, which was just an awesome backstory. I was frankly annoyed he lost to potential hypothermia. Very valid but shit way to lose.

Larry Roberts - In the last 4 episodes he did nothing but complain about wanting to go home, and stayed there nevertheless. I actually found myself dozing off to his sections. Nevertheless I commend him for staying as long as he did.

David Mcintyre - The worst winner I've seen yet. While he definitely kept a cool head and that led him to victory, I can't help but think it was all made easier by fuck ups of the best contestants while David did nothing but sit there. Lost his fish countless times, asked otters if they could fish for him etc. I've seen 3 seasons so far and this guy was the worst winner yet. 

Going to start season 3 today. Apparently this is the worst season, but I'm still intrigued how the food sources are about in Patagonia. Especially with how few and far between the wildlife is compared to the north. I'll find out.

Archived