The better place to talk football.

Remember when...

football forum

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Danny said:

Time for some football nostalgia as there’s no football on...literally bring up anything about football from the past.

Remember when people thought Leighton Baines was better than Ashley Cole? 😅

To be fair to Baines he did go through a spell where he was good but not Cole level good.

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

To be fair to Baines he did go through a spell where he was good but not Cole level good.

He was very good for Everton no doubt about that, but Ashley Cole is and was at the time one of the finest left backs in the world and of his generation...Leighton Baines whipping in a few crosses for Everton effected people’s decision making 

Channel 4 Football Italia.

For non Sky owners at the time, it was amazing.

James Richardson was a good host, Peter Brackley was a great commentator, and the title sequence was fucking epic.

Gollllllllllllllllllaaazzzzoooooooo

I will never forget seeing the likes of Signori scoring for Lazio, Lombardo for Sampdoria, Ronaldo for Inter, Batistuta in the Purple colours of Fiorentina, the silver fox Ravanelli for Juve, Totti for Roma etc

It was a golden age for Serie A that 90's decade. Best league in Europe then.

29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Something I don’t remember is the 90s being as low resolution as it looks on YouTube

Sometimes I see old news reports from the 90's or as you said, something on youtube, and it looks like it was the fucking 70's. So I guess I know what you mean. 

36 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Something I don’t remember is the 90s being as low resolution as it looks on YouTube

It's hard to imagine it being low resolution when the big screen TVs used to be 1 metre deep. What was all that wiring for if not quality.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Baines was better than Cole towards the end of Cole's Chelsea days. Nobody ever claimed that Baines was ever near Cole's peak level.

He was never better than Cole at any point, just looked good in a team of Everton’s expectations. There was a whole agenda at the time to move on experienced players for younger players and in some cases was right as not a lot were being brought through but Ashley Cole should never have been in that conversation.

The Euros we were knocked out by Italy he was our best player by a significant margin 

• Subscriber
23 minutes ago, Danny said:

He was never better than Cole at any point, just looked good in a team of Everton’s expectations. There was a whole agenda at the time to move on experienced players for younger players and in some cases was right as not a lot were being brought through but Ashley Cole should never have been in that conversation.

The Euros we were knocked out by Italy he was our best player by a significant margin 

Whichever side of this debate you fall on, how is it nostalgic? It just seems really random to me.

Baines was in the top five assisting defenders for consecutive seasons across Europe and better than most midfielders creatively at that time. He didn't get double points for assists to make him look good just because he played for Everton. And yes, defending is the first priority but it's not like we were known for leaking loads of goals under Moyes was it? And you won't find many examples of individual errors from Baines leading to goals at any point in his career. I get you still thinking Cole was the better choice for England that summer. In fact, I'd expect most people to think that, but given the performances Baines was putting in at the time, it's a really weird take to think that the debate only happened because of some imaginary agenda, and it's even weirder that you consider it "nostalgic".

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Whichever side of this debate you fall on, how is it nostalgic? It just seems really random to me.

Baines was in the top five assisting defenders for consecutive seasons across Europe and better than most midfielders creatively at that time. He didn't get double points for assists to make him look good just because he played for Everton. And yes, defending is the first priority but it's not like we were known for leaking loads of goals under Moyes was it? And you won't find many examples of individual errors from Baines leading to goals at any point in his career. I get you still thinking Cole was the better choice for England that summer. In fact, I'd expect most people to think that, but given the performances Baines was putting in at the time, it's a really weird take to think that the debate only happened because of some imaginary agenda, and it's even weirder that you consider it "nostalgic".

Absurd shouts are easy to remember, no idea why you’ve taken to this so strongly. There was a clear agenda at the time, get rid of Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Terry...rightly or wrongly but Cole was one of the players people wanted to see move on and Baines was the only replacement.

• Subscriber
25 minutes ago, Danny said:

Absurd shouts are easy to remember, no idea why you’ve taken to this so strongly. There was a clear agenda at the time, get rid of Lampard, Gerrard, Cole, Terry...rightly or wrongly but Cole was one of the players people wanted to see move on and Baines was the only replacement.

https://www.threelionsroar.com/2013/10/26/5029612/leighton-baines-v-ashley-cole-a-statistical-look

Because it wasn't absurd. You don't have to go far to find the numbers to back up the existence of the debate. Over the course of a full season from the time period you're talking about the stats show that in defensive and offensive aspects of the game, Baines was either matching or outperforming Cole. It really wasn't an "absurd" debate. You're making out it's like the time when Halewood Toffee claimed that Suarez and Sturridge were just having a purple patch and Jelavic was better than both.

You have a real blank spot here, and I remember you being more willing to die on the Ashley Cole hill than any Chelsea fans were. Fair enough if you thought Cole was better. Like I said, I'd expect that to be the prevailing opinion. But to say that the debate was absurd or only existed because of an imaginary agenda is, well, absurd.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

https://www.threelionsroar.com/2013/10/26/5029612/leighton-baines-v-ashley-cole-a-statistical-look

Because it wasn't absurd. You don't have to go far to find the numbers to back up the existence of the debate. Over the course of a full season from the time period you're talking about the stats show that in defensive and offensive aspects of the game, Baines was either matching or outperforming Cole. It really wasn't an "absurd" debate. You're making out it's like the time when Halewood Toffee claimed that Suarez and Sturridge were just having a purple patch and Jelavic was better than both.

You have a real blank spot here, and I remember you being more willing to die on the Ashley Cole hill than any Chelsea fans were. Fair enough if you thought Cole was better. Like I said, I'd expect that to be the prevailing opinion. But to say that the debate was absurd or only existed because of an imaginary agenda is, well, absurd.

Mate you’ve just quoted an article where the author can’t seperate Cole or Baines defensively, statistics only tell you so much...Cole could go up against any top forward in the world defensively, Baines couldn’t.

I never said it only existed because of the agenda to get rid of older players, but it was part of it imo. It was around the same in TFF also that the likes of Will Keane, Michael Keane, Ryan Tunnicliffe and a few others now in the lower leagues were being argued to have first team football at OT. Funny times for TFF, not long before I said the Ireland 2012 team was better than England’s 😅 That was absurd.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Danny said:

Mate you’ve just quoted an article where the author can’t seperate Cole or Baines defensively, statistics only tell you so much...Cole could go up against any top forward in the world defensively, Baines couldn’t.

I never said it only existed because of the agenda to get rid of older players, but it was part of it imo. It was around the same in TFF also that the likes of Will Keane, Michael Keane, Ryan Tunnicliffe and a few others now in the lower leagues were being argued to have first team football at OT. Funny times for TFF, not long before I said the Ireland 2012 team was better than England’s 😅 That was absurd.

That's my point mate xD. Yes it's mad if people were saying Baines is an overall better player than Cole over their whole careers but all I remember was that period of time where Cole was hitting 32-33, his Chelsea place was eventually under threat and Baines was playing really well, so yes the question was asked should Baines replace Cole in England's lineup and even those who would still have chosen Cole would mostly at least admit that asking the question wasn't absurd.

Yes well I remember Salford Kel saying all of those players were better than Evra, Rio, etc. which was nuts. 

Anyway, this thread has had enough of Baines vs Cole.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's my point mate xD. Yes it's mad if people were saying Baines is an overall better player than Cole over their whole careers but all I remember was that period of time where Cole was hitting 32-33, his Chelsea place was eventually under threat and Baines was playing really well, so yes the question was asked should Baines replace Cole in England's lineup and even those who would still have chosen Cole would mostly at least admit that asking the question wasn't absurd.

Yes well I remember Salford Kel saying all of those players were better than Evra, Rio, etc. which was nuts. 

Anyway, this thread has had enough of Baines vs Cole.

It was only a sly comment mate don’t worry :hh: What else you gunna do during a lockdown anyway

Archived