talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Remember this time of isolation.

football forum

• Subscriber

With this lockdown in place, I thought maybe a musical thread might work with a song that reminds people of this time as a lot of us won't be able to go out as per normal until it's all over...when, I don't know.

I will start it off with a golden oldie from WWII when families had loved ones overseas fighting and would not see them for years and they spent most of their time in air-raid shelters or in the underground to avoid bombers, Vera Lynn -  we'll meet again.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'll be honest, when it's over, I want to forget everything about this time xD

I am talking about this time atm not after, me and the wife has just isolated ourselves but our son popped out to do some shopping for us and got me 2 bottles of wine. :P

5 minutes ago, nudge said:

I'll be honest, when it's over, I want to forget everything about this time xD

Movies will be made about it though... I wonder if there will end up being a song that defines the era. 

I've had the pleasure of only hearing this song recently.

The lead singer said the below about it in 2004 and it really resonates with the present situation the world finds itself in and so does the song in general.

"It was a completely conscious thing. I was just kind of fed up with how bad shit had been going, and how dark everything was, with bad news coming from everywhere. Our president is just a fucking daily dose of bad news! Then you've got the well-intentioned scientists telling us that everything is fucked. I just want to feel good for a day. I'd had some friends die, and with Jeremy kind of losing it... After we got out of that dark spot with everything melting down with the band, I just wanted to make a positive record. I think we managed to make a quarter of the record positive, and the rest is either kind of dark or more just relaxing into things being how they are, resigned."

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.6fb0eebd1ab23382b57373ecf9f9ee65.png

download.thumb.png.12bc50ba337622f56d7eb1adade8f5fe.png

U.S. album sales hit what’s thought to be the lowest weekly sale of all time as the coronavirus pandemic hit retail figures. But vinyl sales continued to deliver impressive results, with Pearl Jam, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater Revival and the Beatles appearing near the top of a sales chart.

With stores closed and fans distracted by enforced lifestyle changes, the Nielsen Music/MRC Data sales figure for the week ending Mar. 19 was 1.52 million – a drop of 29 per cent on the previous week, and the lowest figure the firm delivered since tracking began in 1991.

Billboard estimated that it was “perhaps the smallest sum for total weekly album sales since albums began to take off as a format in the mid-1960s” – noting that, with a drop of 26 per cent to 979,000 units, sales of physical products had dropped below 1 million for the first time.

Digital sales continued to comprise most of all album sales; however, vinyl continued the upturn that began 14 years ago, with the once-discarded format representing 22.2% of all physical sales so far in 2020, with the total of 4.88 million an increase of 24 per cent compared with the same time period in 2019. The Amazon chart below, which changes hourly, featured Pearl Jam’s new album Gigaton as the best-selling rock title, second overall to pop star Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia.

“Album sales have been on the decline for years, since their heyday in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when it was common for more than 10 million albums to be sold in a single week,” Billboard reported. “Music, of course, is still incredibly popular… However, more and more fans have moved away from buying individual albums and instead choose to enjoy music and albums through streaming services such as Apple Music, Spotify and YouTube. There, a customer can either subscribe to an all-you-can-listen service for one monthly fee or opt to listen to music without a subscription (and listen to advertisements in-between songs).”

Perhaps ironically, the good news about vinyl sales came soon after the destruction of one of only two vinyl master manufacturing plants in the world, threatening production worldwide.

Amazon’s Top-Selling Vinyl LPs (Mar. 29, 4 A.M.)

1. Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia
2. Pearl Jam – Gigaton
3. Bob Marley – Legend
4. Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
5. Amy Winehouse – Back to Black
6. Billie Eilish – When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?
7. Pink Floyd – The Dark Side of the Moon
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival – Chronicle: The 20 Greatest Hits
9. The Beatles – Abbey Road
10. Michael Jackson – Thriller

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/album-sales-all-time-low/

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.906bc910196e5d37330828eec4171d2a.png

Boyzlife have released a new song and want it to become an ‘anthem’ for the elderly during the coronavirus pandemic. The supergroup, formed of Boyzone’s Keith Duffy and Westlife’s Brian McFadden, will be donating the profits from their track You Needed Me to the Age UK charity.

You Needed Me was originally recorded by Boyzone in 1999 and will feature the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/03/boyzlife-want-new-song-anthem-elderly-12501977/

The best thing about Lockdown will happen on 10th April. 

The legend that is Taher Shah will bring us joy (and cringe and unexpected laughs) through his latest creation.

For people who don't know the genius of Taher Shah, here are two of his greatest hits.

I eagerly wait for the 10th.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.135ba37225af61c949a4ff912dbab141.png

Rolling Stones release new song 'Living in a Ghost Town'

The Rolling Stones on Thursday released their first new original music since 2012, a single aptly named "Living in a Ghost Town.

Frontman Mick Jagger announced the surprise release on Twitter, saying, "The Stones were in the studio recording new material before the lockdown & one song -- Living In A Ghost Town -- we thought would resonate through the times we're living in."

Speaking to Apple Music moments later, Jagger said he and Keith Richards wrote the song over a year ago, but that it was uncannily fitting to current times.

"It wasn't written for now, but it was just one of those odd things," he said.

"It was written about being in a place which was full of life but is now bereft of life so to speak... I was just jamming on the guitar and wrote it really quickly in like 10 minutes."

Before releasing the moody song heavy on twang, Jagger tweaked some of the lyrics to fit the contemporary moment.

"Some of it is not going to work and some of it was a bit weird and a bit too dark," Jagger said. "So I slightly rewrote it. I didn't have to rewrite very much, to be honest. It's very much how I originally did it."

The 76-year-old sings of chaos and destruction and the seemingly infinite loneliness of isolation.

"Life was so beautiful / Then we all got locked down," Jagger sings.

"Please let this be over / Stuck in a world without end."

Also speaking to Apple Music, Richards said the song was cut in 2019 at a Los Angeles studio and re-worked for release recently.

"It's sort of eerie when suddenly it's coming to life," he said, adding that he'd been thinking the pandemic was an appropriate time for release.

"Then Mick called me and said the same thing and that great minds think alike."

The iconic British rockers have spent much of the past two decades touring, though the coronavirus halted those plans.

The band was set to play 15 shows across North America starting May 8, but all have been postponed due to the pandemic.

"Living in a Ghost Town" is the Stones' first original work since 2012's "Doom and Gloom" and "One More Shot" came out on the greatest hits album "GRRR!"

The band hasn't released an original album since 2005's "A Bigger Bang" but have said they've slowly been working on a new collection over the past several years.

Over the weekend, the Stones headlined a marathon virtual concert put on by the international advocacy organization Global Citizen in collaboration with Lady Gaga.

Appearing ageless, Jagger delivered the classic "You Can't Always Get What You Want," as his fellow Stones played from their respective homes, including a grinning Charlie Watts on the air drums.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/rolling-stones-release-new-song-living-in-a-ghost-town/ar-BB137fa0

• 2 weeks later...

Archived