talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who do you support?

football forum

Any other sport outside of football, who and why?

Rugby Union: London Irish. I don’t actually like Union much anymore but Irish were the first team I saw play and my uncle used to take me so I’ll watch them when I can.

Rugby League: I don’t actually support anyone tbh, I like Souths because of the Burgess brothers joining them and that aligning with when I first went to Oz and got into League, Souths was also my first game...but I also like the Cowboys cos I lived in North Queensland for 9 months and also like the Warriors as lived in Auckland for a year and used to go to games. Unless there is a London team that isn’t the “Broncos” then I imagine the only way I’d actually support someone is by moving somewhere that has a team permanently.

Cricket: Middlesex but tbh I don’t watch a lot of Cricket, only really catch the major international competitions.

NFL: Literally don’t watch NFL at all but had a game when I was about 3 years old on sega, my brother would be the Dolphins because of Ace Ventura and for whatever reason I’d always choose the Steelers. Think I liked their helmet 😂. So I’ve been an unofficial Steelers fan my whole life.

NBA/NHL: I’d like to get into these but it’s mostly about timing, also it’s a lot easier to get into a sport if you live somewhere it’s popular. Even just NZ, they love basketball. I was thinking cos I chose the Steelers I’d have to choose the Penguins too for NHL. I used to think I should support the Bruins but they’ve enough plastic paddy’s supporting them 😂. NBA-wise I always liked the Bulls cos of Michael Jordan, Lakers cos of O’Neal and Kobe. But don’t really have strong feelings for anyone either way...GSW have nice kits but I think supporting them would be too bandwagony 😅 Might find a team in a decent city so at least it’d be a good excuse to visit

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I do still follow and watch a lot of Wigan in the RU, I still follow and watch Australian Rules Football and the team I supported out there in Carlton, the Blues, went to every game when I was in Aussie land many moons ago but sadly this season has been cancelled because of the Coronavirus.

I love watching old-time boxing matches around the Lennox Lewis times that was when boxing was a man's game, now it's drifted to all show business clowns running it like Don King and many more, money in the bank means more to them than producing greats again like Joe Louis, Ali, Frazer, Larry Holmes, Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson at his peak and then Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Tommy 'The Hit Man' Hearns, the two Sugar Rays Robinson & Leonard, Duran etc.   

12 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I do still follow and watch a lot of Wigan in the RU, I still follow and watch Australian Rules Football and the team I supported out there in Carlton, the Blues, went to every game when I was in Aussie land many moons ago but sadly this season has been cancelled because of the Coronavirus.

I love watching old-time boxing matches around the Lennox Lewis times that was when boxing was a man's game, now it's drifted to all show business clowns running it like Don King and many more, money in the bank means more to them than producing greats again like Joe Louis, Ali, Frazer, Larry Holmes, Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson at his peak and then Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Tommy 'The Hit Man' Hearns, the two Sugar Rays Robinson & Leonard, Duran etc.   

I forgot about AFL...generally I like the Swans and Freo but never really got into the game enough to watch it regularly 

In terms of boxing, obviously AJ and Fury are the big two but Whyte is great entertainment 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Porsche in all motorsport series.
Max Verstappen in F1.
Mick Schumacher in F1 feeder series.

Nudge with the racing...never really got into it in that way tbh. Obviously nice to see Hamilton win though 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Nudge with the racing...never really got into it in that way tbh. Obviously nice to see Hamilton win though 

I've been exposed to car culture and racing since I was a kid, so didn't really have a choice haha.

Used to watch all kinds of sports but only care about football and racing these days...

• Subscriber

Only other sport im big into is NHL. Canucks are my local team and Ive been watching them forever. My second team has been the Capital's since Ovi came into the league; hes been my favourite player ever since. I grew up playing hockey and soccer since I was around 4, I still play beer league hockey. I did play a bunch of baseball as well, I enjoy watching the playoffs or going to a game once in awhile but thats about it.

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Danny said:

I forgot about AFL...generally I like the Swans and Freo but never really got into the game enough to watch it regularly

It's changed a hell of a lot since I left in 72, you had 12 teams in the Victorian Football League that was the big thing then, no interstate teams like there is nowadays

1. Carlton
  2. Collingwood
  3. Essendon
  4. Fitzroy
  5. Footscray
  6. Geelong
  7. Hawthorn
  8. Melbourne
  9. North Melbourne
10. Richmond
11. South Melbourne
12. St. Kilda

Now you have 18 teams and 8 of them are Interstate and South Melbourne now play as the Sydney Swans in NSW, Footscray as the Western Bulldogs and Fitzroy as the Brisbane Lions and then you have Port Adelaide, West Coast Eagles, GWS Giants, Adelaide Crows, Freemantle and the Gold Coast Eagles, you have interchanges during a game and that never happened when I was there, I think there were 2 subs and that was it. 

10 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

It's changed a hell of a lot since I left in 72, you had 12 teams in the Victorian Football League that was the big thing then, no interstate teams like there is nowadays

1. Carlton
  2. Collingwood
  3. Essendon
  4. Fitzroy
  5. Footscray
  6. Geelong
  7. Hawthorn
  8. Melbourne
  9. North Melbourne
10. Richmond
11. South Melbourne
12. St. Kilda

Now you have 18 teams and 8 of them are Interstate and South Melbourne now play as the Sydney Swans in NSW, Footscray as the Western Bulldogs and Fitzroy as the Brisbane Lions and then you have Port Adelaide, West Coast Eagles, GWS Giants, Adelaide Crows, Freemantle and the Gold Coast Eagles, you have interchanges during a game and that never happened when I was there, I think there were 2 subs and that was it. 

Bet it still looks as ridiculous to play 😅

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

What’s the affinity to Leicester mate?

Family from there and growing up supporting LCFC meant there was the attachment to the other sports in the city too. 

Rugby League: Brisbane Broncos - I'm a Queenslander mainly, so I'd rather see any of the two real QLD teams win (Gold Coast is a joke). As a kid I liked the Sydney Roosters but that is because I liked a lot of their players, can't really stomach them anymore. The realy meat and potatoes is NSW v QLD so I'm very much deeply into QLD winning. International is irrelevant. This is THE RELIGION where I'm from, we have a club that plays in the bush leagues. People are passionate about it where I'm from, if only the people that lived near the stadiums had the same lust for it. 

Rugby Union: I don't care for this sport really because of the cultural divide back home, I'd like to because I think it is a cracking sport but the types to play are the silver-spooned private school wankers. Of course, I naturally want the Queensland Reds to suceed as well as the Wallabies. 

NHL: First American sport I stated following since moving to the USA. Being a Chicagoan transplant I naturally support the Chicago Blackhawks and consider myself a hardcore supporter. I'd love to play the sport but it's a timesink to learn, can't just pick up and play. I feel like there is some elitism in the sport in the USA, not as inclusive as it is in Canada. The former kind of feel an air of superiority if they played the sport or know more, I feel like the Canadians are more enthusiastic and inclusive about newbies.

NFL: Chicago Bears, I only got into the sport a few seasons ago, and since I live there it's only natural. I couldn't be one of those Illinois wankers that supports the main rivals six hours north. I also went to a game and got pissed off me tits.

Cricket: Club level is largely irrelevant in Australia so I'm big on the Aussie team. Was my favourite sport as a kid but nobody was into it so I didn't get a chance to play much. No cricket clubs at all in my home town :( Something that still bugs me to this day. I tried to play with a bunch of South Asians over here but the culture is just too different for me. Too serious, I just want to have a few pints and smack a fucking ball around.

VFL: I bandwagon the Brisbane Lions when they are good. I don't give two fucks about this sport as it is possibly the worst sport to watch on the tele. No interest at all in QLD, though it is fun to play. Weirdos from Melbourne like it and think that is the greatest sport in the world and more popular than soccerball. Don't call it Aussie rules, because it isn't. It's Victorian Rules. I think it is mainly cultural jealously, they have something so unique that they are passionate about and we have a useless dying code of rugby league that is going nowhere fast. 

MLB: Again Chicago here, I barack the Cubs because I couldnt' in my right mind support a team named after stockings. Maybe it is because I enjoy cricket but I found the transition very easy. It's not as good as cricket though.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Cricket: Club level is largely irrelevant in Australia so I'm big on the Aussie team. Was my favourite sport as a kid but nobody was into it so I didn't get a chance to play much. No cricket clubs at all in my home town :( Something that still bugs me to this day. I tried to play with a bunch of South Asians over here but the culture is just too different for me. Too serious, I just want to have a few pints and smack a fucking ball around.

We have tape ball cricket for that, find them and play with them

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSseeqO9grfu8SJ04iE7gA

Rugby League - Leeds Rhinos

NFL - When I first took some interest in the sport I was attracted to the Vikings, mainly for the colour scheme. However, I can no longer say it’s the case as I know absolutely fuck all about the team or players. I don’t really have any team anymore cause I just don’t put the effort into following it. 

• Subscriber

Spike Posted 8 hours ago

VFL: I bandwagon the Brisbane Lions when they are good. I don't give two fucks about this sport as it is possibly the worst sport to watch on the tele. No interest at all in QLD, though it is fun to play. Weirdos from Melbourne like it and think that is the greatest sport in the world and more popular than soccerball. Don't call it Aussie rules, because it isn't. It's Victorian Rules. I think it is mainly cultural jealously, they have something so unique that they are passionate about and we have a useless dying code of rugby league that is going nowhere fast. 

________________________________________________________________________________________

Yep, as I said, when I was out there and watched it, it was all about the Victorian Aussie Football League, still love the game and going to the matches on a Saturday morning, they were all in walking distances or by tram where I lived with Geelong being the only one I could not walk to or get a tram, had to get a train as it was up the coast in Corio Bay I think it was.  

download.png.b1bc13c7523753c46cae698c74efdfe6.png

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Azeem said:

We have tape ball cricket for that, find them and play with them

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSseeqO9grfu8SJ04iE7gA

Pakistan love to cheat.

4 stumps at one end and a 1 huge stump at the other?! 

Nice flat surface for the batsman too. FIXED!

26 minutes ago, Rick said:

Rugby League - Leeds Rhinos

NFL - When I first took some interest in the sport I was attracted to the Vikings, mainly for the colour scheme. However, I can no longer say it’s the case as I know absolutely fuck all about the team or players. I don’t really have any team anymore cause I just don’t put the effort into following it. 

Get back into mate. The Vikings are perennial underachievers. But it’s always a great ride!

48 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pakistan love to cheat.

4 stumps at one end and a 1 huge stump at the other?! 

Nice flat surface for the batsman too. FIXED!

One of the claimed reason why we produced so many fast bowlers, nothing in for the bowler unless you bowl fast and full. 

10 hours ago, Spike said:

Rugby League: Brisbane Broncos - I'm a Queenslander mainly, so I'd rather see any of the two real QLD teams win (Gold Coast is a joke). As a kid I liked the Sydney Roosters but that is because I liked a lot of their players, can't really stomach them anymore. The realy meat and potatoes is NSW v QLD so I'm very much deeply into QLD winning. International is irrelevant. This is THE RELIGION where I'm from, we have a club that plays in the bush leagues. People are passionate about it where I'm from, if only the people that lived near the stadiums had the same lust for it. 

Rugby League is really hurt by a lack of a competitive international scene in comparison to what Union has and Origin plays it part in that, the Australian team are so good because of the NRL/money in it but also because of Origin. It’s like a war zone and then after that they join the Kangaroos and it’s a training exercise.

Had never heard of Origin before I went to Oz, seeing how mad Sydney go for it was great. The World Cup couldn’t compete with that level of excitement 

Cricket

Mumbai Ranji team and the Mumbai IPL side. I follow the women's national team along with men's, as well. We have some nice talent in the women's squad.

That's about it (football and cricket) when it comes to seriously watching sports. I occasionally watch Tennis, unless it's on clay. I just don't enjoy clay tennis. Support Federer. I don't mind the female circuit, with Radwanska being my favourite, amongst quite a few others.

I used to follow F1 where I started out as a Hakkinen fan as a kid, and then supported Montoya. Was bored of F1 once Montoya retired and also due to Ferrari's crazy dominance.

I absolutely hate all American sports. Can't stand Basketball. I don't really get NFL. I still might watch Baseball, only if there is nothing else on the sports channel. I won't watch NASCAR even if someone pays me to do it.

Recently got into Badminton because we have some quality players in it.

Tried to get into Kabbadi which is kinda huge here. But I was quickly bored.

Archived