• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Who do you support?

football forum

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/04/2020 at 18:34, Danny said:

Any other sport outside of football, who and why?

Rugby Union: London Irish. I don’t actually like Union much anymore but Irish were the first team I saw play and my uncle used to take me so I’ll watch them when I can.

Rugby League: I don’t actually support anyone tbh, I like Souths because of the Burgess brothers joining them and that aligning with when I first went to Oz and got into League, Souths was also my first game...but I also like the Cowboys cos I lived in North Queensland for 9 months and also like the Warriors as lived in Auckland for a year and used to go to games. Unless there is a London team that isn’t the “Broncos” then I imagine the only way I’d actually support someone is by moving somewhere that has a team permanently.

Cricket: Middlesex but tbh I don’t watch a lot of Cricket, only really catch the major international competitions.

NFL: Literally don’t watch NFL at all but had a game when I was about 3 years old on sega, my brother would be the Dolphins because of Ace Ventura and for whatever reason I’d always choose the Steelers. Think I liked their helmet 😂. So I’ve been an unofficial Steelers fan my whole life.

NBA/NHL: I’d like to get into these but it’s mostly about timing, also it’s a lot easier to get into a sport if you live somewhere it’s popular. Even just NZ, they love basketball. I was thinking cos I chose the Steelers I’d have to choose the Penguins too for NHL. I used to think I should support the Bruins but they’ve enough plastic paddy’s supporting them 😂. NBA-wise I always liked the Bulls cos of Michael Jordan, Lakers cos of O’Neal and Kobe. But don’t really have strong feelings for anyone either way...GSW have nice kits but I think supporting them would be too bandwagony 😅 Might find a team in a decent city so at least it’d be a good excuse to visit

What’s wrong with the London Broncos?

6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

They’ve not played at Fulham for decades, played at Griffin Park for longer than they did at Craven Cottage and most Rugby League teams across the planet have ridiculous names. 

London Broncos is the most ridiculous name of them all, at least with some clubs there’s a bit of fantasy involved and it can work...Huddersfield Giants makes no sense but it works, Castleford Tigers and Catalans Dragons...the animals work even if they are far fetched.

Broncos just doesn’t, it’s so specific to one type of theme that it doesn’t work for where it is, you may as well have the Manchester Cockneys or the Liverpool Geordies.

I just dont see how it ever properly takes off in London under the current name. They talk about how London is an undervalued market but it would help if they actually looked to create a side that represents the area it’s in.

The Toronto owner wants to invest in Skolars and build their name/image around being in Tottenham, on White Hart Lane etc. Even if you just look at the other London clubs in the Southern Conference, Brixton Bulls and Newham Dockers have good names/imaging, even London Chargers and Wests Warriors. Wests Warriors is a better named club than Broncos and they’re a side for Kiwi expats, London Chargers is a better name than Broncos imo.

Ive just never taken to the Broncos and it’s funny cos they play a ten minute drive from my house now but there’s just so much to it, the original formation as Fulham, yeah they played at Griffin Park but then changed names to Broncos and then Harlequins and back. I just don’t have any affection or affiliation to them, I’d rather not support someone than support a side I don’t really like and tbh if one popped up I’d rather support a localish side around SW/W/NW London that play at a much lower level than support Broncos in the Championship or SL.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

The reason people don’t watch Rugby League in London has absolutely nothing to do with the Broncos moniker. 

Quite clearly it’s not the main reason, what a pointless response xD

I've been meaning so go see the Swindon wildcat's play for a while. They are an ice hockey team. I live in Bristol and we have a ice hockey team but they play in Oxford because the Bristol ice rink was closed.

• 3 months later...

So, yeah, as an American, there is a whole horde of sports I follow that most of you likely don't. Only a few though I follow 'seriously'. 

F1 - New to the sport, so I have kept it easy and have supported the Russian currently racing (Kvyat and Robert). I also like Danny after watched the Netflix series. 

College Football - Went to the University of Alabama, so them. Out of all the teams in the world, they probably sit at the top. 

College Basketball - Same as above, Alabama is my team. It's not as big as football 

Baseball, NFL, NBA - I live in Atlanta, so I cheer for the Braves, Falcons, and Hawks, although I watch maybe half of there games. 

NHL - I love hockey, and used to love the Atlanta Thrashers. Once they moved to Winnepeg, I started to support Chicago Blackhawks, and I also like the Montreal Canadiens for some unknown reason other than the culture is fantastic around the club. 

I tried to get into Cricket, but I still can't figure out what the hell is going on. Rugby means nothing to me. 

My preference order of support for teams other than Pakistan in Cricket

1- West Indies, is there anyone who doesn't like them ?

2- New Zealand, it will be a real shame if this current Kiwi team doesn't win a title one of the most likeable teams in the history of the sport

3- Sri Lanka, best most consistent Asian team imo, their record says it

4- South Africa, likeable team

5- India, despite the rivalry i liked some of their players and silently supported them against the cocky Australians but the current lot of Kohli is turning out to be like them

6- Zimbabwe, much prefer them over Bangladesh whose fans are really immature and cringe at times. Shame what the sport did to them

Everybody else 

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Subscriber

I will name those in my time... for example - I could say Ali as my favourite boxer, but he's not from my lifetime so i can't 'support' him.

F1 - McLaren as a kid, always been my favourite team. Then individuals - Mika Hakkinen was my first favourite driver. Then/now Lewis. Also Norris/Russell/Danny Ric.

Tennis - The most gracious sportsman to ever glide across our screens... the goat. Roger Federer.

Boxing - Ricky Hatton was my first favourite boxer. Now it's probably AJ.

MMA - Jon Jones.

Snooker - One of the most naturally talented sportsmen this country has produced, Ronnie O'Sullivan.

• Subscriber

Porsche factory team in all motorsport series.
Kevin Estre, Ye Yifei, Ferdinand Habsburg, Herberth Motorsport in GT/endurance racing.
Max Verstappen and Mick Schumacher in F1.
Theo Pourchaire and Jüri Vips in F2.
David Schumacher, Jack Crawford and Jonny Edgar in F3.
Rinus VeeKay in IndyCar.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much only follow soccer.  I have some hometown affinity in the Bengals and Reds but they have sucked for so long that they're largely irrelevant in pro sports anymore.  I've had some fleeting interest in the NBA from time to time so I look for the Chicago Bulls scores, but that's probably it.

My wife and most of her family went to Penn State so there is a mega ritual on Saturdays for those games but I'm not usually bothered xD

I'll update mine a bit, as I have cut down a bit on how many sports I actually watch. 

Soccer - Atlanta United, FC Augsburg, and Spartak. I also watch and follow RWE closely and keep up with Inter Milan if time allows. 

American Football - Only really watch college, which is my alma mater, University of Alabama. It's a family thing and I believe that it's one of those things that if you watch it with my family, it's hard not to get involved in all the energy. Fun times. 

Racing - Porsche is all events. In F1 and the feeder series, I like Max, Mick, Shwartzman, and Kvyat. I miss Hulk very much so if he ever comes back, he'll jump most everyone else. 

American Pro Sports - I typically stick with my home town of Atlanta, so the Braves (MLB), Falcons (NFL), and Hawks (NBA). In hockey I tend to watch the Blackhawks and Canadiens, but again, if time allows. 

Tennis - Nadal and Fed for the legends, and then Zverev, Mevedev, and Rublev. 

• 1 year later...
  • Subscriber

WEC: Porsche Penske Motorsport & Proton Competition, Car #6 (Estre, Lotterer, Vanthor) 

IMSA: Porsche Penske Motorsport, Proton Competition, Pfaff Motorsports & Wright VOLT Racing

24H Series, GT World Challenge & Intercontinental GT Challenge: Herberth Motorsport

VLN: Manthey Racing

:ph34r:

Archived