talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Saturday 3rd June - Juventus 1-4 Real Madrid

It's true that this current period of La Liga dominance of European competitions has been on another level to that of the Premier League a few years back, with their clubs scooping up so many titles, final appearances and semi-final appearances in both the Champions League and Europa League. I mean 6 different La Liga clubs have reached the semi-finals of the Europa League this decade (or in the last 8 years), which is just amazing. Last season they were pretty close to occupying all 4 European final places, with Villarreal winning the first leg of their Europa League semi-final against Liverpool before ultimately falling short at Anfield. There was an insane period where La Liga teams won something like 47 out of 50 two legged European ties against teams from other countries.

A club like Levante have progressed further in the Europa League in recent years than numerous bigger and richer Premier League, Serie A and Bundesliga clubs. 

And even more impressively, a lot of their success in European competitions has coincided with a period when the Spanish national team did so well and racked up trophies as well. For example in 2012, Atletico Madrid beat Athletic Bilbao in the Europa League final, both Barcelona and Real Madrid lost thrilling Champions League semi-finals (but they were considered to be the 2 best teams in Europe by a large distance) and the Spain NT won the European Championships. Spain's 2010 World Cup win came in the same season as Atletico won another Europa League title, and was sandwiched in-between 2 Champions League titles by Barcelona. 

When Serie A was the undisputed best league in the world, the Italian national team never won anything. And in 2007/2008 when 4 out of the Champions League quarter-finalists were from the Premier League, the England national team hadn't even qualified for that summer's European Championships.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Eco or libby, can yall please tell me how many key injuries did Juventus had for this game? I refuse to believe that the same team that lost to RM 4-1 is the same team that held Barcelona scoreless for 180 minutes, no way in hell. Only key injuries is the reasonable explanation for Casemiro and Asensio (cost less than 10 mil combine) were able to do what the mighty barca players couldn't do, score. Paco (30 mil) andre (35 mil) and not one single goal??? Surely Barca faced a much better Juventus side, thats the only reasonable explanation. 

The only real difference was the fact that Cuandro didn't start. Say team mate. 

If you really watch their matches against Barcelona, then you will remember what killed Barca was the fact that they couldn't finish like RM did. That was really the only difference. 

• Subscriber

If England can't launch a serious assault on Europe next year then you've got to wonder when the hell will they? 5 competitors next year and for once the biggest CL also-rans going haven't made it.

If England cannot get a team into the semis next year it's absolutely embarrassing.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

If England can't launch a serious assault on Europe next year then you've got to wonder when the hell will they? 5 competitors next year and for once the biggest CL also-rans going haven't made it.

If England cannot get a team into the semis next year it's absolutely embarrassing.

Quite literally a word for word post I made earlier. United, City, Spurs, Liverpool as well as us have a big statement to make next season in this competition. Matter of fact, with what current English clubs are spending at the moment, at least two English clubs at the minimum should be in the semi finals. This cycle needs to end. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Cicero said:

Quite literally a word for word post I made earlier. United, City, Spurs, Liverpool as well as us have a big statement to make next season in this competition. Matter of fact, with what current English clubs are spending at the moment, at least two English clubs at the minimum should be in the semi finals. This cycle needs to end. 

It should but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. I still don't think there's any real elite side in England. There's a lot of very good ones, but none you would fancy over two legs against Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus or even Atletico Madrid for me.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

It should but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. I still don't think there's any real elite side in England. There's a lot of very good ones, but none you would fancy over two legs against Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus or even Atletico Madrid for me.

We shall see. What english clubs have lacked these past few years in the competition is taking the initiative. Far too many times have we let the opposition take control of the game, and this is down to a load of factors. 

It seems that Klopp, Poch, Conte, Guardiola, hell even Mourinho understand how they want their teams to play. We make efficient signings and not throw away money on players, I can see us being more competitive in the competition. 

19 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I had a conversation with mate last night and we both agreed that United are at least 4/5 year off winning a champions league. Thoroughly convinced Real will smash us in August.

I doubt that, will be a close game... Mou is always pragmatic, even Guard's Bayern could not smash his Chelsea, heck Gurad's Bayern could not smash Moyes at Man Utd and Man Utd ain't Juve that's clueless in midfield with no real plan other than playing long balls to Mandzukic who then knocks down to Higu or Dybala... anyways, my point is it will be a close game.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

English clubs have no identity.

Come to think of it, Madrid has been playing all sort of football since Ancelotti took over and Zizu is just continuing that, they score counter attacks, outside shots, square plays, crosses etc, kind of reminds me of a premier league team.

• Subscriber

Chelsea and City should be aiming to go deep after the season Chelsea have had and the summer City are having. I think Liverpool and Tottenham have a good chance of getting through the group stage but don't expect them to challenge too much further. United aren't better than Spurs or Liverpool but I see them as having a better chance of a cheeky run to the latter stages just through Mourinho's sheer will and nous. 

Just hope we don't get all negative when playing away in Europe like we always do (not in the group stage though). In the knock out stages i truly don't remember the time when we didn't just play to score and defend in a away game.

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Just admit you're a Real fan xD

He supports the most successful team from every country so that(in his head) he always has one over on everyone.

As for this game, I watched it sat in a bivvy on a fishing lake through my phone on youtube(there is a first for everything) until just after the Casemiro goal, where I got a run on my carp rod and ended up having to attend to that. I then saw it had gone to 3-1, so I didn't bother putting it back on. Real deserved it though as they have been the best team in the tournament in these knock outs. Everyone else have left a lot to be desired to this season for me. Juve looked solid in the build up themselves, although were never going to win the final as they don't have it in them.

Well done to the likes of Panflute and noel off here.

16 hours ago, Dan said:

Depends if that team is Chelsea or not xD

Yeah, it's difficult to argue against the fact that they certainly deserved it. In the knockouts they were great and won every tie, including the final, by pretty wide margins. Congratulations to all the Real Madrid fans on this forum. 

It'd be very intriguing to see this Zidane's Real Madrid's team vs Heyncke's treble-winning Bayern and Guardiola's Barcelona. 

Heyckes' team that season a veritable "tika-taka on steroids". Guardiola's Barca still the most beautiful football ever seen.

As a lifelong Barca fan, I suppose the biggest compliment I can pay this Real Madrid's team under Zidane is: Zidane's Real may not be considered among the very best in history just yet, but they are well on their way. As ruthlessly efficient a team as you'll ever see. They're like a machine. "Get it done."

Their set pieces and crosses are legendary. Pin-point accuracy and assists. Marcelo and Carvajal bombing forward every chance they get is the stuff of nightmares for every opposing team.

If they wanted to and focused (even against the "lesser teams"), they could probably win every single game. A very intimidating and formidable opponent, this Real.

"Just how "Great" is Zidane's "Real Madrid"?

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/02/sport/greatest-teams-ever-champions-league-final-real-madrid-ajax-ac-milan-liverpool-puskas-di-stefano-ronaldo-cruyff-juventus-ucl-final/index.html

On 05/06/2017 at 8:09 PM, Dan said:

Club America, Man Utd, Real Madrid, most likely PSG, Bayern Munich and Juventus to follow.

He's more a C.Ronaldo fan than anything to be honest. If C.Ronaldo went to Chivas or Man City, then he would even jump on them I bet :coffee:.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived