• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are you missing Football?

football forum

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More.

Especially if your club is heavily involved in competing at the right end of the table.

We've been desperate for promotion for ages. It felt like we were winning the race again and anyone connected with Leeds was totally absorbed by it.

Just want to get back to it ASAP.

• Subscriber

Strangely, and I think this ties a lot to @Lucas's point about having something to play for, but no I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would and I think that's down to Grimsby not really having anything within reach other than midtable and the playoffs at a huge push.

I’m not really. Not till Saturday, at least. 

The weeks are largely filled with nothing anyway. Monotonous transfer sagas of the same handful of players does nothing for me and gossip columns aren’t really my thing. 

I don’t have BT so I’ve got used to there not being any/much midweek football to watch anyway and I’m not really prepared to risk killing my laptop to watch a game of football. 

The weekends are pretty dull but I still feel at the minute like this is a bit of a pre-season. I imagine I’d we get to May time and we’ve still not got any sport, including behind closed doors stuff, I will be very very bored. 

• Subscriber

Less than expected. I do think I'm going through a quite bizarre phase in general though and that's not even due to COVID-19 although that's obviously making day to day life strange as well.

I'm looking forward to having it back but other stuff has taken priority for now.

Yeah I'm missing it more than expected. The memories of Liverpool soldiering through the back end of the season seem so distant now though, but I'd love to be able to bury my head in football games and sport websites and escape the 24/7 corona deaths news cycle.

But it all seems so distant. March was honestly the longest and craziest month. It will go down in history.

• Subscriber

Can't really say if I am missing it much as now I am reading a lot more but the wife is in breakdown mode as all her beloved soap operas like Corry, Eastenders, Emmerdale etc have cut down production to one episode a week, all I can say about that is...THANK FUCK FOR THAT!!!!  xD

I miss going go the stadium. Apart from that, I miss football less than I expected. I guess it's nice to have a break from fighting for survival week in week out. 

• Subscriber

I've got to say I do actually feel sorry for fans of the likes of Liverpool and Leeds. If this had happened four years ago I'd have been inconsolable xD

Way less than expected.

The pause has probably helped me look at it in a detached manner. It's all a big money grab. They say the lottery is a tax for the stupid, but what is a season ticket if not that.

Watching millionaires playing for the club you love but not giving a fuck, while you're putting in more than you should both emotionally and financially.

Foreign investment and champions league qualification obsession disgust me. It's all about the millions. Millions might be the most used word in the sport these days. Think about that.

Who am I kidding anyway? When it's back I'm still paying my monthly TV subscription to watch these pricks kick a ball, or maybe not, maybe I'll go watch the local club for my weekly dose of "opioid of the masses" instead.

57 minutes ago, Dan said:

I've got to say I do actually feel sorry for fans of the likes of Liverpool and Leeds. If this had happened four years ago I'd have been inconsolable xD

I think we stand to lose the most out of this as well.

Will obviously be a travesty if Liverpool lose out but they have the small consolation of knowing they will go again. Everything will be in place for them squad wise, manager wise, they will be there or thereabouts.

We will lose our top players. The one's that are ours and the loanees. We will not have significant funds to strengthen. Above all else, we will lose Bielsa. We rely on that man's brilliance.

For me, what happens will be a massive game changer for the future of the club.

Might seem an over reaction to some but I think if you know, you know and that's that.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

I think we stand to lose the most out of this as well.

Will obviously be a travesty if Liverpool lose out but they have the small consolation of knowing they will go again. Everything will be in place for them squad wise, manager wise, they will be there or thereabouts.

We will lose our top players. The one's that are ours and the loanees. We will not have significant funds to strengthen. Above all else, we will lose Bielsa. We rely on that man's brilliance.

For me, what happens will be a massive game changer for the future of the club.

Might seem an over reaction to some but I think if you know, you know and that's that.

I think we're also going to be one of the biggest losers in this potentially. We're effectively back to square one. We timed coming good perfectly with the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Manchester United and to an extent Chelsea all foundering, even Manchester City really we've never been far off this season. If the season started again now I don't think we'd be getting in the top four. Not to mention who we'll lose. We miss out on the CL windfall and therefore have a lot less chance of holding onto players, we're more likely I think to lose about 4/5 players than the 1/2 we would've if we'd made the top four.

Oh and of course we also miss out on the Champions League again, they were some of the best nights I've had following us.

I mean we've had some great times lately so there's only so much we can complain but we're a huge loser in this scenario as well I think.

Don't miss it per se but I do miss getting out and about to different places on the weekend to watch the thing. Suppose I'm a groundhopper more than a general fan but I thankfully have other interests to fall back on.

It’s definitely Saturday’s that I miss it. Especially when I would have had plans to go to places.

I’d have probably gone to Tottenham U23 v Everton U23 today. It was, according to Spurs’ website, scheduled to be at White Hart Lane, which would have been a good opportunity to go there without needing to purchase a membership. 

22 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm actually feeling quite numb about the whole title charge right now. 

I still will be gutted if they void the season because it will be so hard to get the jump on city again, and I'd be fearing a disappointment hangover like Spurs had with poch.

But if it's not voided I kind of don't want the season to continue until we can fill stadiums again and celebrate a title win properly. Some muted, social distancing adhering party where everyone's got a bottle of hand sanitizer on hand rather than a pint is not really gonna cut it.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Harry said:

I'm actually feeling quite numb about the whole title charge right now. 

I still will be gutted if they void the season because it will be so hard to get the jump on city again, and I'd be fearing a disappointment hangover like Spurs had with poch.

But if it's not voided I kind of don't want the season to continue until we can fill stadiums again and celebrate a title win properly. Some muted, social distancing adhering party where everyone's got a bottle of hand sanitizer on hand rather than a pint is not really gonna cut it.

I maintain it's absolutely staggering how few seem to be missing the really obvious alternative in this situation. Just wait to play it. Fuck next season. Why prioritise next season over this one?

35 minutes ago, Dan said:

I maintain it's absolutely staggering how few seem to be missing the really obvious alternative in this situation. Just wait to play it. Fuck next season. Why prioritise next season over this one?

I think this too, especially given the likelihood a second wave will impact some point(s) in time between August 2020 and May 2021. At least at present we have a tally on the board that is quite easy to tie up when the time is right. What do we do if we abandon this, start afresh in August then get stopped again for four or five months in October?

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, tlr said:

I think this too, especially given the likelihood a second wave will impact some point(s) in time between August 2020 and May 2021. At least at present we have a tally on the board that is quite easy to tie up when the time is right. What do we do if we abandon this, start afresh in August then get stopped again for four or five months in October?

Precisely. I don't get what the big rush is. Problem is it's hard to know who to trust in this because we've all got our own biases - and mine are pretty obvious.

I think fans of Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds, Coventry, West Brom and a few others in-particular are going to be biased towards wanting it to finish but the truth is I'd have wanted that anyway.

I'm yet to be told a proper reason this can't happen. Contracts are a complexity, but not a reason you can definitely rule it out, and I'd argue that's a far smaller obstacle than the alternatives.

I want common sense to prevail but I'm worried that the authorities are going to use this to force more dross on the sport such as games abroad.

• Subscriber

Our son misses it like fuck, he coaches an under-15 side and misses the training nights and the games normally on a Sunday, the wife does not miss washing the kit when it's his turn for a wash routine, mud, grass, sweaty socks, tops and shorts. :D   

Archived