talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Are you missing Football?

football forum

4 minutes ago, Dan said:

Precisely. I don't get what the big rush is. Problem is it's hard to know who to trust in this because we've all got our own biases - and mine are pretty obvious.

I think fans of Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds, Coventry, West Brom and a few others in-particular are going to be biased towards wanting it to finish but the truth is I'd have wanted that anyway.

I'm yet to be told a proper reason this can't happen. Contracts are a complexity, but not a reason you can definitely rule it out, and I'd argue that's a far smaller obstacle than the alternatives.

I want common sense to prevail but I'm worried that the authorities are going to use this to force more dross on the sport such as games abroad.

Aye.

In theory, Rovers have a chance of the play-offs should the season restart and play to a traditional conclusion. Even if that were not the case, even if we were back in the relegation mire like we were in 16-17, I would still want to pay to a finish. Two things I think are important here - one is integrity (I suppose), playing everything to a finish whenever that may be, and awarding or punishing clubs accordingly as we would normally. The second is the connection people have with the game. All the money spent, miles travelled, hours invested, whatever else from fans, local sponsors, unpaid staff, etc. Throwing all that away as if it never happened in the pathetic hope of starting again as if life was normal in August is scandalous. I think expunging or abandoning the season would be catastrophic for those reasons, I dare say fatal for some clubs. I'd be bad enough as a Rovers fan and our mediocre season, if I supported someone like Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds or any of those non league teams who have been fucked already I'd throw the towel in and get a new interest.

On your last point, as with society, it will be interesting to see what gets changed now as an emergency measure and never goes away. I'm fully expecting the 15.00 broadcast blackout to never come back, and that's only been relaxed about 6 hours ago.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
10 minutes ago, tlr said:

Aye.

In theory, Rovers have a chance of the play-offs should the season restart and play to a traditional conclusion. Even if that were not the case, even if we were back in the relegation mire like we were in 16-17, I would still want to pay to a finish. Two things I think are important here - one is integrity (I suppose), playing everything to a finish whenever that may be, and awarding or punishing clubs accordingly as we would normally. The second is the connection people have with the game. All the money spent, miles travelled, hours invested, whatever else from fans, local sponsors, unpaid staff, etc. Throwing all that away as if it never happened in the pathetic hope of starting again as if life was normal in August is scandalous. I think expunging or abandoning the season would be catastrophic for those reasons, I dare say fatal for some clubs. I'd be bad enough as a Rovers fan and our mediocre season, if I supported someone like Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds or any of those non league teams who have been fucked already I'd throw the towel in and get a new interest.

On your last point, as with society, it will be interesting to see what gets changed now as an emergency measure and never goes away. I'm fully expecting the 15.00 broadcast blackout to never come back, and that's only been relaxed about 6 hours ago.

I always want it to as well to maintain the integrity in the competition. Now I've been pretty vocal in my questioning of it for other reasons this season but that isn't really the point this time, to just wipe it away seems like a complete waste and the more I think about it, the more I think it will bring about far too many complications for that to be the case. I can only conclude that people vehemently demanding the season is wiped just don't want Liverpool to win the league. That's fine, but I think you're just living a lie in this case. They say Liverpool fans will be unbearable but I think they'll be even worse if this happens, and the fact is this time everyone knows they've got a point and nobody can seriously argue against it. It would be hollow to laugh at them for this. Funny because of the fact it seems they're just destined to never lift the Premier League, but we all know what's happened here.

As stated as well with Leicester I think we'd be one of the biggest losers, right up there, we capitalised on far better resourced clubs failing and would be very unlikely to make the top 4 again. We also had Vardy back in the form of his life which he's unlikely to repeat I think at his age. If Leicester finished in the top four this season we would be absolutely laughing. We've already progressed a lot due to one unexpected CL windfall. To get another would make us very well established at this point. Not to mention we've also never won the FA Cup - and had a quarter final tie against a Chelsea side we sit above in the league lined up, with Liverpool out of the competition. We had a chance to rectify that.

Sadly I think football's general reaction to the situation has been pretty appalling, the greed is astounding at times and it only edges me towards thinking they will come up with another alternative based entirely on how lucrative it is, rather than it being fair - so I'm totally braced for us, the unfashionable provincial club from the Midlands to be shafted out of playing in the elite competition.

The more this, and by that I mean the virus, goes on, the less and less arsed I am about an ending to this season. Might be because I’m not emotionally attached to any club and therefore I don’t have a feeling of unjust that we’re being robbed or that we’ve got absurdly and a little bit disgustingly, “lucky” that a global pandemic has not led to the very minor incidence of relegation but overall, I think things are a bit bigger than Football at the minute. 

As for what happens to this season. I’m just not sure. I imagine the headache that would go with finishing this season and then re-adjusting absolutely everything would be incredibly tough to do. Part of me is looking towards the Qatar World Cup in December of 2022 and I do wonder if letting this season run its course may help in rescheduling the seasons around that. 

• Subscriber

Readjusting towards the Qatar World Cup is the common sense solution to me. Granted I don't know what you do after that, but the two situations may actually work with each other ironically and that's what I'd go with. I don't mind a couple of years of change. February to November seasons. I'll take it.

Conflicted, I miss football of course. Miss being able to go to Griffin Park and also looking forward to the new stadium....with that said, I don't want Griffin Park to go and also don't want the final games to be played behind closed doors but what can you do? It's the least important thing going on right now.

We should be going into the internationals in the Summer and I love international football when there's a competition. Just can't beat it.

5 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Already been said by Dan, but fuck next season. Just get this one finished and go from there. If we end up fucking off Qatar 2022 altogether, it will be an added bonus.

I agree. Even if it was scrapped today I don't think next season would be able to start in August, nor be 38 games long. So may as well have one very interested season than two.

We can't finish the season and claim that it was fair and the right thing to do. 

Fixture timings already distort outcomes in an ordinary season. Now add a beak and behind closed doors games. The outcome is even more skewed. 

The only reason for finishing the season is financial.

Discuss :ph34r:

42 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

We can't finish the season and claim that it was fair and the right thing to do. 

Fixture timings already distort outcomes in an ordinary season. Now add a beak and behind closed doors games. The outcome is even more skewed. 

Agree completely. 

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

There's basically no perfect way to get to the point of starting a new season and have noone complaining about the previous one.

But when does the next season start and what conditions is it played under of a vaccine is still 16 months away?

On 05/04/2020 at 12:25, Harry said:

There's basically no perfect way to get to the point of starting a new season and have noone complaining about the previous one.

But when does the next season start and what conditions is it played under of a vaccine is still 16 months away?

Replace it with televised 5-a-side games in high school sports halls for the next year. 11 a side is dangerous. Man Utd would probably be good at booting the ball off the wall.

:ph34r:

Yep, its very fucking hard. I was okay to start with. I'm another who doesnt get why next season should be prioritised over finishing this one? Play the games behind closed doors, two games a week until they are done. If next season has to be pushed back a couple of months then so be it.

Fuck yes I miss it, we were on the cusp of winning the fucking league for the first time in my life when I'm not an infant so I'd actually remember it.

I hate this fucking virus so much, I can't really express it with words.

I'm not missing the witch hunts, the needless baiting on Twitter, the media agendas and the over analysis of every managerial decision.

I miss the watching of live football with friends, talking about it at the pub, watching highlight shows, listening to podcasts, planning my fantasy team and interacting with you guys about it.

No, weirdly. Feel like the lockdown is more of a hassle than football currently, especially with the uncertainty around the course I’m on. Maybe when there’s less to worry about and less to do it’ll kick in but I’m alright for now 

15 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm not missing the witch hunts, the needless baiting on Twitter, the media agendas and the over analysis of every managerial decision.

I miss the watching of live football with friends, talking about it at the pub, watching highlight shows, listening to podcasts, planning my fantasy team and interacting with you guys about it.

This. I don’t miss the relentless, ceaseless rubbish about VAR every week. It bored me by the end of August and I stopped listening to TalkSport as much because it seemed to be all they talked about all week. Every week sees countless things happen on a football pitch but it was three or four VAR decisions that they wanted to micro analyse all week and it got beyond tiresome. 

The actual going to football though, I miss that. The walk to a ground. A few drinks before. Getting to your seat. The atmosphere, both good and bad. 

Archived