• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2020 Music

football forum

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Yes, likewise regarding The Weeknd. It's been something good to listen to ever since it was released last week.

Love it.

Hardest to Love, Blinding Lights, Save Your Tears & Scared to Live are my favourites.

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Yes, likewise regarding The Weeknd. It's been something good to listen to ever since it was released last week.

Love it.

Hardest to Love, Blinding Lights, Save Your Tears & Scared to Live are my favourites.

I normally don't get into this kind of music this much but the guy struggles to make a bad track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 13/05/2020 at 15:39, Rick said:

Excellent. Those features are exciting. 

It's out and anyone can download it for free.

So, so good. The first three tracks are bangers and put you right in the mood. The opener might actually be my fav track for now. Ju$t and Pulling the Pin are brilliant as well, but then there's The Ground Below which is the hardest beat in the album.

In terms of production this surpasses everything they've done by leagues, that's for sure.

17 hours ago, Machado said:

It's out and anyone can download it for free.

So, so good. The first three tracks are bangers and put you right in the mood. The opener might actually be my fav track for now. Ju$t and Pulling the Pin are brilliant as well, but then there's The Ground Below which is the hardest beat in the album.

In terms of production this surpasses everything they've done by leagues, that's for sure.

Listened through once. Lots to take in, but I was digging it. Looking forward to listening over many more times in the next couple weeks. 

• 4 weeks later...

Dylan's album is out. Not an album to dance to or anything, minimal production, the focus seems to be fully on the pen. The constant references and the old, worn out voice makes me feel like I'm listening to some sort of extreme wisdom that I might not be ready to totally digest yet.

Fiona Apple's album is my favorite of the year so far. I see why it's not for everyone but when it clicked it had me mind blown.

• Subscriber
On 28/06/2020 at 02:12, Machado said:

Fiona Apple's album is my favorite of the year so far. I see why it's not for everyone but when it clicked it had me mind blown.

She always has the most interesting use of a piano with vocals and it has its own little charm to it. Its almost like the piano has to mimic the emotion she wants her voice to portray in some ways. FTB isn't anything like Tidal for me but that doesnt mean its a bad album at all and I agree with you that a single listen isn't really going to make you appreciate it for what it is. 

Also, is it just me or has she lost the ability to use that sustain she was so famous for with that low tone? She did work on a Jazz album some years ago and she sounds so different on this album.

On 29/06/2020 at 14:44, Mel81x said:

She always has the most interesting use of a piano with vocals and it has its own little charm to it. Its almost like the piano has to mimic the emotion she wants her voice to portray in some ways. FTB isn't anything like Tidal for me but that doesnt mean its a bad album at all and I agree with you that a single listen isn't really going to make you appreciate it for what it is. 

Also, is it just me or has she lost the ability to use that sustain she was so famous for with that low tone? She did work on a Jazz album some years ago and she sounds so different on this album.

I think there's some of that sustain in the opener but yea it's not the same. It's not a newly written track, she performed it live as far as 7 years ago and she sounded very different.

Her voice is still the main instrument of her songs though. There's all sorts of things going on, whispers, screams, barking dogs, which make the work seem very raw and homemade if that makes sense. 

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Machado said:

I think there's some of that sustain in the opener but yea it's not the same. It's not a newly written track, she performed it live as far as 7 years ago and she sounded very different.

Her voice is still the main instrument of her songs though. There's all sorts of things going on, whispers, screams, barking dogs, which make the work seem very raw and homemade if that makes sense. 

It does seem very garage-style done but I dont think she's ever. been very high on polished sounding music and more about emotional delivery. I like it personally. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This year I've been trying to listen to more new releases.

I liked Fetch the Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple. My girlfriend recommended her and tbh I was hesitant because "sad girl music" (as she calls it) - meaning lone vocals with minimal backing music I think - is not really my cup of tea. But there were a few tracks I really liked, particularly Heavy Balloon. The double bass also really just adds a whole added dimension.

Khruangbin also released their new album Mordechai recently. I wasn't super into it at first, but they definitely tried pushing their style away from "minimal soul/funk instrumentals" - there's way more vocals, more conventional song structures, and more rhythmic variety, like in using more triplet feel time signatures.

Thundercat also dropped It Is What It Is. Wasn't really a fan of the album overall, to be honest. But there were a few tracks I really enjoyed like Dragonball Durag and Insterstellar Love.

Tom Misch also released his full album with Yussuf Dayes, which I've not properly listened to yet, but the single Lift Off was brilliant.

King Gizz seem to have at least one album due out this year.

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

This year I've been trying to listen to more new releases.

I liked Fetch the Bolt Cutters by Fiona Apple. My girlfriend recommended her and tbh I was hesitant because "sad girl music" (as she calls it) - meaning lone vocals with minimal backing music I think - is not really my cup of tea. But there were a few tracks I really liked, particularly Heavy Balloon. The double bass also really just adds a whole added dimension.

Khruangbin also released their new album Mordechai recently. I wasn't super into it at first, but they definitely tried pushing their style away from "minimal soul/funk instrumentals" - there's way more vocals, more conventional song structures, and more rhythmic variety, like in using more triplet feel time signatures.

Thundercat also dropped It Is What It Is. Wasn't really a fan of the album overall, to be honest. But there were a few tracks I really enjoyed like Dragonball Durag and Insterstellar Love.

Tom Misch also released his full album with Yussuf Dayes, which I've not properly listened to yet, but the single Lift Off was brilliant.

King Gizz seem to have at least one album due out this year.

Lift Off was one of my favourite tracks this year.

Also discovered Thundercat this year. His stuff on shuffle is a good time despite the occasional filler.

You should try Alfredo by Freddie Gibbs if you're into boom bap and The Slow Rush by Tame Impala but you probably already know about that one.

I gave Taylor swift a shot and I can tolerate her music for the first time. She got the guy from The National to produce and it worked nicely. The Bon Iver feat is great.

A Hero's Death by Fontaines DC is another highlight for me. I struggle with post punk but the darkness in this one had me hooked.

Looking forward to Kendrick Lamar and Idles now.

20 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

neg

19 hours ago, Toinho said:

Nope, worth a listen? 

Gonna be honest with you, I'm not that into them but they are pretty decent punk rock band with female vocals. Just asking more out of curiosity as to how popular they are, they do well on Triple J and tour a lot but I'd never heard of them till I went out drinking with the guitarist who is friends with one of my best mates back home because they used to work at Woolies together or some shit. They work with ol Bernard Fanning from Powderfinger. The guitarist says he is 'very obviously a private school kid'.

He was a pretty cool dude when I met him so I was hoping they were getting popular

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Gonna be honest with you, I'm not that into them but they are pretty decent punk rock band with female vocals. Just asking more out of curiosity as to how popular they are, they do well on Triple J and tour a lot but I'd never heard of them till I went out drinking with the guitarist who is friends with one of my best mates back home because they used to work at Woolies together or some shit. They work with ol Bernard Fanning from Powderfinger. The guitarist says he is 'very obviously a private school kid'.

He was a pretty cool dude when I met him so I was hoping they were getting popular

Theres your problem.

Archived