talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Times When Your Club Blew It

football forum

Randomly seen the England v Croatia WC Semi-Final appear on Facebook and it was specifically the clip where Sterling could/should have squared it to Kane to lead, I think, 2-0 and it got me thinking about other times England blew it and so this thread was born. 

What game(s) did your team blow it? 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Times When Your Club Blew It

Emery's first season we should have qualified for the champions League. 2003 we were 5 points clear and we completely lost it. We were 8 points clear at one point but we had played a game in hand.

2008. Not sure if we can say we blew the league as their was a lot of games left and we still had to play Chelsea and man u away but I remember we were 16 points ahead of Liverpool and ended up 5 points ahead and Liverpool were fourth I think so shows how much we lost form.

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Mainly 1m20 onwards

Cunt chipped it in a play-off semi-final ffs.

@Bluebird Hewitt will like this one.

You dick. You didn't want to make me watch it again. You wanted to make me suffer the god awful American commentary. ¬¬

For us, we have a recent few as you're all aware.

Losing the FA Cup final to Portsmouth, which we may never have the chance to play in again.

Losing the League Cup final to Liverpool on pens and similar to the FA Cup.

Losing the play off final against Blackpool after being heavily tipped to win the game. 

But the classic one has to be missing out on the play offs. We need two points from four games to guarantee a play off spot. We blew it.............. because we scored one goal less than Preston............who beat us 6-0 less than a month earlier......... of which Jon Parkin outpaced Gabor Gypes to score one of the goals.

Signing Fernando Torres in January over signing Sergio Aguero in the summer window. Thanks, Carlo! It is almost if the club had to pay a four year penance for winning the double in 09/10.

Not keeping Arjen Robben happy.

Sacking Jose Mourinho the first time.

Rehiring Jose Mourinho.

Not keeping Diego Costa happy.

Sacking Conte and letting Sarri make the club look smalltime by voluntarily leaving.

Letting Drogba leave in 2012 in hope of letting Torres 'flourish'.

Letting Ballack leave in 2010 and leaving the team with a decrepit midfield. (though he did have a broken leg thanks to the vacant mind of Kevin Prince-Boateng)

Letting Lampard and Terry leave when they obviously had some petrol left to burn

Burning Azpilicueta's candle wick from both ends.

Going for problem-attitude Courtois and selling our universally beloved Petr Cech to Arsenal. 

Not so much the club but Rooney winning the PFA POTY award instead of Drogba in 09/10. What a bizarre choice, Drogba scored more goals, won more trophies, and he wasn't taking penalties like Rooney. The pom had a great season, you can't deny that but Drogba trumped him.

Care to add some more or debate? @Cicero @True Blue @Bluewolf @carefreeluke

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Mainly 1m20 onwards

Cunt chipped it in a play-off semi-final ffs.

@Bluebird Hewitt will like this one.

Honestly, that game sickened me even more than Watford did. I felt completely robbed that night.

Truly the most stressful game I think I've been to.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Honestly, that game sickened me even more than Watford did. I felt completely robbed that night.

Truly the most stressful game I think I've been to.

Yeah. Think that is more sickening. 

Watford was more devastating & heart-breaking.

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Signing Fernando Torres in January over signing Sergio Aguero in the summer window. Thanks, Carlo! It is almost if the club had to pay a four year penance for winning the double in 09/10.

Not keeping Arjen Robben happy.

Sacking Jose Mourinho the first time.

Rehiring Jose Mourinho.

Not keeping Diego Costa happy.

Sacking Conte and letting Sarri make the club look smalltime by voluntarily leaving.

Letting Drogba leave in 2012 in hope of letting Torres 'flourish'.

Letting Ballack leave in 2010 and leaving the team with a decrepit midfield. (though he did have a broken leg thanks to the vacant mind of Kevin Prince-Boateng)

Letting Lampard and Terry leave when they obviously had some petrol left to burn

Burning Azpilicueta's candle wick from both ends.

Going for problem-attitude Courtois and selling our universally beloved Petr Cech to Arsenal. 

Not so much the club but Rooney winning the PFA POTY award instead of Drogba in 09/10. What a bizarre choice, Drogba scored more goals, won more trophies, and he wasn't taking penalties like Rooney. The pom had a great season, you can't deny that but Drogba trumped him.

Care to add some more or debate? @Cicero @True Blue @Bluewolf @carefreeluke

Selling Tiago you can add. Although we did replace him with Essien, Tiago was a more composed central midfielder and added a lot of balance. 

Other than the 2015 and 2017 disaster summer windows, you pretty much got everything in recent memory. 

• Subscriber

The obvious ones:

Watford (a) in the play-offs 2013. We all know what happened. To not only miss the penalty but actually concede from it, in our last moment of a season was staggering. I do think that fueled a lot of the fire for what followed though.

Cardiff (a) in the play-offs 2010. Posted above. Fancy missing a penalty in that way, at that stage.

Stoke (a), May 2008, relegation to League One for the first time in our history.

Summer 2016 - The strongest position the club had ever been in and every single signing made that summer had left by 18 months. A truly terrible summer.

Wycombe (h) in the FA Cup. Roy Essandoh. The significant part of it is that we actually blew the easiest possible route into the semi finals of a tournament we've never won.

Aston Villa, January 2020. Sorry but this deserves a mention. We've beaten them 4-0 and 1-4 in the league, sit about 16 places above them in the league and yet couldn't beat them over two legs in the cup. That's a huge case of blowing it unfortunately. Couldn't believe our luck with the draw - sadly I feel this attitude rubbed off on the squad a bit.

Far too many to mention with Leeds, perennial bottle jobs. I could be here all day. But I won't bore anyone with that.

Quite simply, I will never ever get over Derby last season. Ever. That will forever scar me to the grave.

Got to bear in mind we have beat them 4-1 away and 2-0 hone in the league. Then beat them 1-0 away in the 1st leg. We own Derby. We've got their number.

2nd leg we are 1-0 on the night, 2-0 up aggregate. Should be more but listen, you'd take that at this stage. We're at Elland Road, in total control of the tie. 

45th minute of the game, just coming to HT. No one needs to do anything silly, get in and see out 2nd half. Easy.

Cue Kiko Casilla and Liam Cooper.

Derby score out of nowhere, the ground goes silent bar a little corner tucked away of Derby fans going mental.

They were given belief out of nowhere, they could do this, and we shit ourselves. We lost our bottle and the momentum shifted.

Derby win 4-3 on aggregate. I couldn't speak for days.

18 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Far too many to mention with Leeds, perennial bottle jobs. I could be here all day. But I won't bore anyone with that.

Quite simply, I will never ever get over Derby last season. Ever. That will forever scar me to the grave.

Got to bear in mind we have beat them 4-1 away and 2-0 hone in the league. Then beat them 1-0 away in the 1st leg. We own Derby. We've got their number.

2nd leg we are 1-0 on the night, 2-0 up aggregate. Should be more but listen, you'd take that at this stage. We're at Elland Road, in total control of the tie. 

45th minute of the game, just coming to HT. No one needs to do anything silly, get in and see out 2nd half. Easy.

Cue Kiko Casilla and Liam Cooper.

Derby score out of nowhere, the ground goes silent bar a little corner tucked away of Derby fans going mental.

They were given belief out of nowhere, they could do this, and we shit ourselves. We lost our bottle and the momentum shifted.

Derby win 4-3 on aggregate. I couldn't speak for days.

Despite Derby not going up that was a mad night, think I was out playing football at Goals and caught the end of the game on the big screen inside. Lampard’s binocular celebration was fantastic after getting it from Leeds beforehand 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Despite Derby not going up that was a mad night, think I was out playing football at Goals and caught the end of the game on the big screen inside. Lampard’s binocular celebration was fantastic after getting it from Leeds beforehand 

Personally, I've never been one of these to give it the big chat or banter really, especially not when a tie isn't settled. So I don't begrudge him having his moment and lauding it up at the time.

Just a bit ironic he won one game and lost three, but the game he won was the pivotal one.

That Brentford one you posted earlier v Doncaster is so ironic because yesterday i was watching the top 5 end of season moments on Soccer Saturday and yours was there. Amazing.

25 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Personally, I've never been one of these to give it the big chat or banter really, especially not when a tie isn't settled. So I don't begrudge him having his moment and lauding it up at the time.

Just a bit ironic he won one game and lost three, but the game he won was the pivotal one.

That Brentford one you posted earlier v Doncaster is so ironic because yesterday i was watching the top 5 end of season moments on Soccer Saturday and yours was there. Amazing.

I was broken that day and for a while after, fortunately we had the play offs to soften the blow (lost to Yeovil in the final 😂) but it was hard to watch. Went up the season after though automatically which more than made up for it

@Spike

I would disagree with the Conte thing. I think it was right to get rid of him.

Despite winning the FA Cup in that final season, his press conferences started to become a bit toxic and featured constant jibes at the board. Don't get me wrong, he had some case for reason in his demands and complaints but his personality for me soured in that second season, he went from being a very likeable character to being a grumpy and sour man. He used to moan about not getting players or the club not spending money but we spent an awful lot in those seasons all on players who suited his style. They may have not been the players he wanted but they were bought for his style and I do believe most managers at this club get a significant say in transfers. He almost sabotaged a season moaning and dug his own grave really. Some of the players we bought in his time definitely go under the 'blew it' category, 70 or 80 million just on Drinkwater and Bakayoko for example.

It wasn't only the press conferences but his tactics and system went from being fresh and exciting, to stale and predictable. It made the players look better in his first campaign but in the second season,  most opponents knew it inside out or in some cases were even using their own version of it.

What would have happened with another season of Conte? Looking at how stale the system and playing style had become and judging by some of the players that came in during his reign, you wouldn't blame someone for saying we might have been worse off.

I personally thought, for the most part, Sarri brought positive things to the club and his season was a good one and worthwhile overall.

Archived