talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Recommend an Album

football forum

• Subscriber
On 18/04/2020 at 21:31, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t really think most funk metal is really very metal though tbh - Infectious Grooves aside. But they’ve got some pretty heavy riffs on those early RHCP albums. I think they liked to call themselves funk-punk... but I don’t think they’re very punk either. I just think of them as funky rockers tbh.

I think when you listen to the earlier RHCP stuff it tends to start out heavy but then the groove starts to outshine their heaviness. Even on their album opener for Californication (Around the World) you're left thinking yeah this is nice and heavy then all of a sudden the air clears and its just back to funk (some variant) again before strolling back to the heavy stuff again and then rinse and repeat. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think when you listen to the earlier RHCP stuff it tends to start out heavy but then the groove starts to outshine their heaviness. Even on their album opener for Californication (Around the World) you're left thinking yeah this is nice and heavy then all of a sudden the air clears and its just back to funk (some variant) again before strolling back to the heavy stuff again and then rinse and repeat. 

RHCP can be defined in eras.

• Very early (the first four) Hillel Slovak and John Frusciante albums. Huge elements of funk, metal, and hip-hop in this music. Not always great but their most interesting.
  • Blood Sugar Sex Magik, a lot more pop-orientated but still contains the 'idea' of what RHCP were in the beginning.
  • Post-Under The Bridge, bullshit pop ballads and nothing should be touched with a ten foot pole. Californication is one of the worst produced albums of all time and 'loudness' ruins what could have been interesting. Frusciante's 'I'm a guitar god' ego and heroin addiction, Kiedis' annoying voice and heroin addiciton (despite Slovak overdosing), yadda yadda yadda. Fuck the RHCP.

The point I'm trying to make is that the RHCP are the archetype of a great band ruined by themselves; especially Kiedis (awful voice, awful lyrics, awful, rapping, being an addict). Imagine having Flea as a bassist and insisting on Frusciante (who focuses on his own music 99% of the time, and uses RHCP to pay the bills) being the main driving force of the sound. Imagine having three of the most talented musicians of this era and having a heroin addict who sounds constipated rap over them.

The funkiest rock band ever legacy is of melodramatic ballads like Under the Bridge, Californication, Scar Tissue, Snow, and Otherside.

On 18/04/2020 at 13:17, carefreeluke said:

Gerry Cinnamon's new album, I know a few may be a fan on here.

Album Review: Gerry Cinnamon – The Bonny | Live4ever Media

I love it. Grows on you. Thought the last few songs after Outsiders were just filler but I've really got into them the last few days too

If people are looking for good synthwave/retrowave then may I suggest Mitch Murder, The Midnight and Electric Youth.

If you are looking for mellow, haunting numbers try Cigarettes After Sex.

Ween is another band I would recommend if you fancy alternative rock.

So with the working at home thing at the moment, does anyone have any albums that they find easy listening while working? I prefer albums that are maybe slightly more instrumental while working. Here's a few I've been listening to recently

R-1550727-1259348618.jpeg.jpg

Low_(album).jpg

gXd1Wse7-300x300.jpg

the-tea-street-band.jpg?fit=720,720&ssl=

Distance_Inbetween.jpg

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

So with the working at home thing at the moment, does anyone have any albums that they find easy listening while working? I prefer albums that are maybe slightly more instrumental while working.

Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music

214817-what-kinda-music.jpg

Caribou - Suddenly

Suddenly.jpg

3 hours ago, LFCMike said:

So with the working at home thing at the moment, does anyone have any albums that they find easy listening while working? I prefer albums that are maybe slightly more instrumental while working. Here's a few I've been listening to recently

R-1550727-1259348618.jpeg.jpg

The album so bland that it killed the Rose's career. Still it isn't as bad as what the Mondays did with 'Yes Please!'

3 hours ago, Spike said:

The album so bland that it killed the Rose's career. Still it isn't as bad as what the Mondays did with 'Yes Please!'

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a great album, it's just a decent listen while you're working.

Ten story love song is brilliant though

5 hours ago, LFCMike said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a great album, it's just a decent listen while you're working.

Ten story love song is brilliant though

I agree but it is I don’t know boring? I think the production mixing makes it sounds flat

Archived