talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

SPFL Clubs to Vote on Ending Season

football forum

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard about the plans for Scottish football. Don't scottish teams play eachother 3 or 4 times depending on where they finish?

There are 12 teams in the Scottish premiership I think. Presumably each team has played eachother at least twice? They could they could take the results from 22 games (each team playing each other home and away) and work out the league from that. Would seem fairer than ending the league as it is as some teams would have played harder fixture's.

8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I just heard about the plans for Scottish football. Don't scottish teams play eachother 3 or 4 times depending on where they finish?

There are 12 teams in the Scottish premiership I think. Presumably each team has played eachother at least twice? They could they could take the results from 22 games (each team playing each other home and away) and work out the league from that. Would seem fairer than ending the league as it is as some teams would have played harder fixture's.

Would think I'm right in saying that not all the games from the initial 22 have been played. Think some had to be rescheduled and haven't been played yet.

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

So are relegations confirmed?

Interesting that, the BBC article I read on it confirmed Partick Thistle down from the Championship and Stranraer down from League 1, however the SPFL didn't mention it in that statement above. (Edit - perhaps they are now pending the outcome of any restructure?)

Couple of things will be interesting from here on in - the fates of Brechin City, Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts in what would normally be the League 2 play off; and how any expansion affecting the top flight guarantees 4 Old Firms, which I suspect a lot of TV income currently hinges on.

Reading all this lately has really made me miss Scottish football for some reason xD Need to get back up there for a couple of games once this is all done

No idea if they’re bankrolled to some degree or not but Cove Rangers have been superb in their maiden season at that level. Hoping Brechin City stay up, they’re the Scottish side my Dad randomly follows, but if you’re giving teams promotions and titles, can you get away with not relegating some others? 

Also, I can’t say I particularly follow it with much interest but Steven Gerrard seems to do nothing but whinge. 

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Personally would like to see it expanded to 16 teams, playing each other twice and then split in four groups playing each other again twice. 36 league games, and Sky would get their four Old Firm games.

How would 4x4’s work and what would, essentially be the middle eight, be playing for? 

31 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

How would 4x4’s work and what would, essentially be the middle eight, be playing for? 

It's not a great solution, but the current television deal stipulates that there has to be four Old Firm games (thank Neil Doncaster for his incompetence), so there needs to be some sort of fudging of the fixtures.

My thinking would be that they all play another home and away against each other, adding on to the points so far. Would at least give a balance fixture list unlike what happens regularly just now.

5th through 8th would basically be for the UEFA Conference League spot (assuming the Scottish Cup winners are already qualified for a European spot), 9th through 12th would be a lot harder to make competitive. But isn't far off what happens most seasons with clubs being 7th-9th in the current setup. Normally they are clear of relegation and are just playing for prize money / chance to give opportunities to younger players.

22 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

No idea if they’re bankrolled to some degree or not but Cove Rangers have been superb in their maiden season at that level. Hoping Brechin City stay up, they’re the Scottish side my Dad randomly follows, but if you’re giving teams promotions and titles, can you get away with not relegating some others? 

Also, I can’t say I particularly follow it with much interest but Steven Gerrard seems to do nothing but whinge. 

Cove Rangers are probably one of the highest spending part time clubs in Scotland right now. Bringing Paul Hartley in, who had previously been working in the Championship and Premiership for a number of seasons, as a full time manager for this season really signaled their intent.

Expect them to be bringing in some more higher calibre players again before next season eventually begins.

Another way may be a 14 team top flight, play each other twice then top 7 and bottom 7 do the same again. Not ideal having teams sit out a week during half the season mind, especially the last matchday. As @ScoRoss says though, you'll always have those with nowt to play for at the current split - just look how often 7th ends the season with more points than 6...

Genuine question for the Scottish supporters here - does the current set up need the reorganisation (or scale of) proposed? Would love to know what a proper lower league fan like Albion Rovers or Montrose makes of the same teams, same multiple away days year in, year out.

As an outsider who tries to do games up there, I would love to see the current 36 expanded with proper new blood, there's a wealth of teams out there who could genuinely reignite the lower leagues. Look at Cove Rangers and Edinburgh City for starters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reconstruction isn't completely off the table, but it seems like a vote to end the season will pass this week. They'd ran out of time anyway, with no chance of the season being complete in any short period of time.

A lot of players only have two weeks left on their contracts, so there is little that could be done to actually have a resemblance of the season so far in the remaining games.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Spot on from Scotland, make them completely right on this and not for the first time during this pandemic. 

Don't be surprised if this isn't the last of it though. Can imagine a few clubs will push for expansion of the top two divisions, and the Highland / Lowland leagues push for a clearer pyramid system with automatic promotion and relegation.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Rangers pushing for B teams to join the pyramid now with their proposal. 

Can't understand why they would be pushing for this. Currently Rangers' reserve team play games against English Under 23 teams and other reserve teams from around Europe. No commitments to any fixed setup and can adjust as necessary. 

Now suddenly they think playing against part time teams like Brechin City and Montrose would be better for their development?

37 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Can't understand why they would be pushing for this. Currently Rangers' reserve team play games against English Under 23 teams and other reserve teams from around Europe. No commitments to any fixed setup and can adjust as necessary. 

Now suddenly they think playing against part time teams like Brechin City and Montrose would be better for their development?

I genuinely think it’s the old “well, look, they do it in Spain and Germany and their International teams are great” argument that doesn’t take into account coaching, facilities, pitch’s etc. 

Archived