Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, China

rm8NwkOGCL-1920x1080.jpg

Doi Inthanon Mountain, Thailand

thailand-landmarks-doi-ithanon-696x464.j

Angkor Thom, Cambodia

GettyImages-901018184.jpg

Mount Pinatubo, Philippines

e7e89c05cead2c9dc7d2dfe7c46e33f0.jpg

Don't have a clue where I would start but for sure I would not do the usual Pyramids, Eifel Tower, Statue of Liberty type stuff, I am more for this, breathtaking scenery and places with a bit of mystery hanging around them... 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Alrighty tough one. Ill do a few places I was planning on going to this year and begining of next.

1) Antelope Canyon - USA. Had a Vegas trip planned for the summer and this was one of the day trips we where doing. Ive never been, lucky for me its a fairly short flight and an easy trip to do down the road.

Upper-Antelope-Canyon-tours.jpg?ssl=1

2) Jordan - Petra. One of my top couple places to visit, hopefully get there one day.

blog-azamara-club-cruises-petra_9.jpg

3) Philippines. Had a trip planned with my best friend and his wife/family and my better half. Both my girlfriend and his wife are Philipino so would have had tour guides. Plan was to go mostly Island hoping and visit a bit of both of their families in Manilla. Im not sure if this trip can happen later, at least with all of us. Our schedules just lined up at the right time to be able to do it in Feb of next year, I suppose theres a feint hope it could happen but I very much doubt it.

How Many Islands Are There in the Philippines? - WorldAtlas.com

4) Iceland - Ice hotel

10 hotels made entirely of ice | Wanderlust

5) New Zealand - Hobbiton. Hell yeah.

Hobbiton is a Real Place in New Zealand. This is What it Looks ...

• Subscriber

1. Andaman & Nicobar Islands - 5 day visit and just dive all day

Andaman Nicobar Islands Tourism-Things to Remember

2. Haifa - Israel - Promised way too many friends from here that I'd visit I would get it done.

16 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in Haifa | PlanetWare

3. Hitachi - Seaside Park Japan (no that isn't a fake pic)

Hitachi Seaside Park - GaijinPot Travel

4. Maui - Hawaii - USA - Surf and sun time. If i can find someone to teach me to make a Uke i'll call this a win.

You Can be Oprah Winfrey's Neighbor in Maui for Only $32 Million

5. Hong Kong - Night out and catching up with friends who work in the city.

10 REALLY Cheap Things to Do in Hong Kong - Best Travel Blog ...

My problem is there are many places I would go, just not many I know well enough to specifically place. So, I've applied 'landmark' loosely to some of these...

Walden Pond, USA - the American list for me is huge but if I could only do one it would be this. The whole Emerson / Thoreau and Transcendentalism (I think that's how you spell it!) scene fascinates me, and so I'd have to visit the same place where one of the most famous and influencial works on it ever was set, especially as right now is as close as we are ever going to get to that era again!

Milford Sound, New Zealand - A country I am desperate to go to, but one I fear gets too popular to enjoy its beauty properly and wonder. As such, no better time than now!

Moscow, Russia - One of the most interesting countries on earth, I could say equally St Petersburg or Ekaterinsburg (certainly spelt that wrong!). Been amazed by its history and secretive, isolated nature since I first did it at college, I would love to see the buildings and streets so significant to its story. Again, like Walden, during this times would only add to the atmosphere!

Northern Norway - black metal, Midnight Sun and predominantly forests, mountains and lakes (and Fjords and ice and shit). Sounds like heaven. Sign me up.

Connemara and Western Ireland, Ireland - I adore this country, particularly its history, culture and scenery. The West perhaps encapsulates this better than the rest of it, so I would love to spend time there, alone, to take it all in.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Don't have a clue where I would start but for sure I would not do the usual Pyramids, Eifel Tower, Statue of Liberty type stuff, I am more for this, breathtaking scenery and places with a bit of mystery hanging around them... 

Same. I personally have little to no interest in Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Louvre and the likes. Give me natural landscapes and mysterious 'exotic' places anytime instead. 

• Subscriber

My questions goes in the exact opposite way of what to do after these lockdowns/quarantines end.

What are you doing during this quarantine that you don't think you'd have normally done?

I actually find myself sleeping a bit more and actually feeling worse for it when I wake up like I have overslept. It does worry me a bit because when things go back to normal I am going to have to find a way to readjust once again.

19 hours ago, nudge said:

Same. I personally have little to no interest in Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Louvre and the likes. Give me natural landscapes and mysterious 'exotic' places anytime instead. 

I am delighted someone said it.

Maybe it's just cos I've already been, but I'm not interested in the popular man-made landmarks. There's way more to China than the Great Wall or more to Peru than Machu Pichu that go unnoticed. More to India than the Taj Mahal, possibly one of the biggest examples. 

Places with great backstories are by far the most interesting. The Empire State Building? What's so great about it other than it being tall?

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

What are you doing during this quarantine that you don't think you'd have normally done?

Indoors too much, that's about all, I will venture up the local supermarket occasionally during pension hour when it's quiet but I have not done that for two weeks now, maybe I am reading a lot more and falling asleep on the sofa and that's about it.

I am glad this lockdown has happened today and not say maybe 30 years ago as then there was no internet/computers etc or mobile phones with video cams to contact people or family where you would have been restricted 30 years ago, thank god really for modern technology nowadays.   

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Indoors too much, that's about all, I will venture up the local supermarket occasionally during pension hour when it's quiet but I have not done that for two weeks now, maybe I am reading a lot more and falling asleep on the sofa and that's about it.

I am glad this lockdown has happened today and not say maybe 30 years ago as then there was no internet/computers etc or mobile phones with video cams to contact people or family where you would have been restricted 30 years ago, thank god really for modern technology nowadays.   

Can you not step out of your house/apartment to get some sun everyday? You don't really have to even leave the space you live in just as long as you get some sunshine and more importantly air outside the house. Had a very long conversation with a band-member about how they contracted Vitamin-D deficiency and it ruined their health and took about 6 months to recover from it.

My answer to this next question is nothing. Genuinely, I am already an introvert enough so this quarantine hasn't really affected me at all. At worst, it's a bit annoying that I can't go out for walks but that's about it.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

Can you not step out of your house/apartment to get some sun everyday? You don't really have to even leave the space you live in just as long as you get some sunshine and more importantly air outside the house. Had a very long conversation with a band-member about how they contracted Vitamin-D deficiency and it ruined their health and took about 6 months to recover from it.

I still go for a walk around the block now and then or stand outside the communal back lawn early morning and get some fresh air, if I did venture down the local supermarket then I will wear a scarf across my mouth as the wife & daughter worry too much about me as I have COPD, asthma, sciatica so I try and keep them happy but I feel fine really.

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I am delighted someone said it.

Maybe it's just cos I've already been, but I'm not interested in the popular man-made landmarks. There's way more to China than the Great Wall or more to Peru than Machu Pichu that go unnoticed. More to India than the Taj Mahal, possibly one of the biggest examples. 

Places with great backstories are by far the most interesting. The Empire State Building? What's so great about it other than it being tall?

I mean I definitely appreciate the design, the history and the work that went into it, it's just not my primarily focus. And honestly, those places being crowded by tourists make it mostly unbearable... I would love exploring the Great Wall or Machu Pichu alone though xD 

Just now, nudge said:

I mean I definitely appreciate the design, the history and the work that went into it, it's just not my primarily focus. And honestly, those places being crowded by tourists make it mostly unbearable... I would love exploring the Great Wall or Machu Pichu alone though xD 

Machu Pichu is wonderful. I am also keen on the great wall but some people like to think it's the only thing those countries have going for it and that's just not true.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Working out at home A LOT. I normally exercise regularly too, but never with weights. Included that into my routine and now I am discovering muscles I didn't know I had xD 

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

My questions goes in the exact opposite way of what to do after these lockdowns/quarantines end.

I actually find myself sleeping a bit more and actually feeling worse for it when I wake up like I have overslept. It does worry me a bit because when things go back to normal I am going to have to find a way to readjust once again.

Exercising more and consciously taking breaks away from the desk while I work. I'd get complacent in a normal situation as I know I'd be out and about most days regardless. Being at home has made me realise I need to actively get up and take breaks more.

Not getting a haircut is something I wouldn't usually do xD. Hair is probably the longest it's been a very long time. 

Genuinely spending more time with family, like actively doing so. Just to try and get away from a computer screen anyway. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Exercising more and consciously taking breaks away from the desk while I work. I'd get complacent in a normal situation as I know I'd be out and about most days regardless. Being at home has made me realise I need to actively get up and take breaks more.

Not getting a haircut is something I wouldn't usually do xD. Hair is probably the longest it's been a very long time. 

Genuinely spending more time with family, like actively doing so. Just to try and get away from a computer screen anyway. 

Yeah I can't stand the way my hair is now as its genuinely annoying haha. That's on the list of things to sort out once the lockdown is gone.

• Subscriber

I also find myself drinking less coffee (down from two to one cup a day if that) and I am drinking way more water than I normally do which is odd because not much of my lifestyle has really changed. 

I've also found more focus on projects because I suppose the option to do other things has kind of gone away.

• Subscriber

I think the obvious one is video calling people. I think it'll become the new norm for me over phone calls too. And I'm video calling a lot more people than I usually would talk to day to day which is always nice. Reconnecting with old friends and such.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

I think the obvious one is video calling people. I think it'll become the new norm for me over phone calls too. And I'm video calling a lot more people than I usually would talk to day to day which is always nice. Reconnecting with old friends and such.

You know we tried this at work till we all realized that people were reading other things while they were on call haha and you can tell by the way their eyes move. My boss did it and then every single one of us started quizzing him on what he was reading so he then mandated we can go back to good old voice-calls.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Good shout. Forgot that one. It's the only way we can chat with our colleagues.

Almost a bit of overkill though and takes away time to actually do work xD

Archived