Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Question A Day

Alright then... Here's a silly hypothetical one. 

You're cornered by a bunch of angry alien-like creatures and your only chance of survival is the time machine that is very conveniently standing there in the same corner. You get in, seal the door, power it up; fortunately everything seems to be working. The catch: the time machine is not in a good shape and is way past its expiry date, so you have only one time jump left and will then be stuck there forever. The date you go back to must be at least 100 years before your birth (inbuilt paradox prevention and whatnot). Where and when do you go? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Alright then... Here's a silly hypothetical one. 

You're cornered by a bunch of angry alien-like creatures and your only chance of survival is the time machine that is very conveniently standing there in the same corner. You get in, seal the door, power it up; fortunately everything seems to be working. The catch: the time machine is not in a good shape and is way past its expiry date, so you have only one time jump left and will then be stuck there forever. The date you go back to must be at least 100 years before your birth (inbuilt paradox prevention and whatnot). Where and when do you go? 

Bit unfair that is... What am I supposed to do while I am waiting around for the big bang then??? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Bit unfair that is... What am I supposed to do while I am waiting around for the big bang then??? 

I mean, you're quite obviously god-like, so some pesky time traveling rules surely don't apply to you! 

• Haha 1

If I am allowed to join this may I send my machine back to the time of peace in Ancient Greece when Archimedes was mentoring the young protégées and the Olympic Games were just beginning to be the only real rivalry around.  Weather was normally good, poverty was not rife and wars had gone and M & S and Top Shop would have been pointless as there was little use for any serious clothing - just the odd sheet for us oldies. I also cannot find any reference in the old texts to the words 'Boris' or 'Donald'  Life must have been good!

1 hour ago, SchalkeUK said:

If I am allowed to join this may I send my machine back to the time of peace in Ancient Greece when Archimedes was mentoring the young protégées and the Olympic Games were just beginning to be the only real rivalry around.  Weather was normally good, poverty was not rife and wars had gone and M & S and Top Shop would have been pointless as there was little use for any serious clothing - just the odd sheet for us oldies. I also cannot find any reference in the old texts to the words 'Boris' or 'Donald'  Life must have been good!

Hope you speak Ancient Greek! 

World War One just finished and Spanish Flu taking over.

At least I'd probably be allowed out right :)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

World War One just finished and Spanish Flu taking over.

At least I'd probably be allowed out right :)

If we're taking that route, why not spice it up and go for the Black Death in mid 1300s? If you manage to arrive earlier, you can even experience the Great Famine before the plague arrives too! 

Very tempting. 

Back to 1890s industrial Lancashire for me. Probably get typhoid and die in about 20 minutes, but it'd be nice for a bit I guess.

Seriously though, I'd love to see everything I know now as it was back then, and the stuff now long gone like the mills, factories, town centre, Rovers' old homes before Ewood and the like. 

Failing that, early 1840s California to get minted off the Gold Rush before everyone else and see out my days without having to lift a finger.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tlr said:

Back to 1890s industrial Lancashire for me. Probably get typhoid and die in about 20 minutes, but it'd be nice for a bit I guess.

Seriously though, I'd love to see everything I know now as it was back then, and the stuff now long gone like the mills, factories, town centre, Rovers' old homes before Ewood and the like. 

Failing that, early 1840s California to get minted off the Gold Rush before everyone else and see out my days without having to lift a finger.

And watching Blackburn Rovers and wondering how the heck they manage to run in shorts like that!

I would probably go back to 55BC and with my advanced tactical knowledge from Rome 2 Total War and druid like behaviour from the series Britannia I could unite the Celtic tribes and thwart Caesars attempts at a hostile takeover in Britain.. Once completed I would be deemed a God among men and they would look upon me in awe... I would then demand that once a year ( but probably twice ) that the fairest of the tribeswomen are brought to my cave so I can pass on the umm.. Seeds of Future Vision, They well ask why there are so many different positions during the 'great seeding' and I will tell them that each position brings a different vision, at least that's what I will tell them because them suckers will believe anything I say... Once the seed has been planted in them I will send them far, far away at the end of 6 months to spread the word, then have a bit of a tidy up before the next one arrives... 

I would also get them to build me a decent log cabin to my exact specifications near a crystal clear plastic bag free lake somewhere so I can go swimming each morning with just the sound of nature for company... That ought to do it and should give me plenty of time to prepare defences for when the Vikings get here.. 

• Haha 3

Solid question.

Id definitely go back to the pirate days i guess the late 1600's. Piracy seems like simplier times, rob, pillage, fight and rape your way to an early grave. I can get on board with that.

• Upvote 1

2500 BC ish

Find a nice place on the Nile, make friends with some locals and help them build better tools for cultivation. If the Pharaoh finds me then we can discuss how I can better serve his conquest for the after-life and help them progress faster through tool innovation and cultivation with flood management. Put it in the man's head that he needs to conquer the world instead of building three inverted pots in the desert and have him go on a world conquest with all the wealth he amassed so that they could start the zonal demolition of other cultures before they even started. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Not so much looking to live under a different civilization. Just take me back to the 1870s and give me an opportunity to work for Nikola Tesla. Now that would be interesting.

• Upvote 1

@nudge to nominate somebody to ask a question next.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

I nominate @Bluewolf

Could see that coming a mile off... xD

So my question for the day would be..... 

If you could have a 5 minute 'all cameras on you' appearance in any TV show or Film of your choice which one would you pick???? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

If you could have a 5 minute 'all cameras on you' appearance in any TV show or Film of your choice which one would you pick???? 

xD My nose.

Edited by CaaC (John)
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)

Five minutes sitting down quietly with Ralph and Jack and then bang their heads together and get them to realise that life on the Island is a hell of a lot better than the crap that is going on in the real world and that as they are too young anyway to bother about the fact that no girls exist on the Island there is nothing else worth fighting about!  The flies can be sorted out later!

Lord of the Flies | Featured Screening | Screen Slate

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Could see that coming a mile off... xD

So my question for the day would be..... 

If you could have a 5 minute 'all cameras on you' appearance in any TV show or Film of your choice which one would you pick???? 

Easy one! 5 minute post-credit scene in Return of the Jedi, showing me resurrecting Emperor Palpatine on Exegol using the Sith dark alchemy. 

giphy.gif.b1ca9285c7df96bd19b20967dbab3036.gif

• Upvote 1

Advanced issue found

13 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

If you could have a 5 minute 'all cameras on you' appearance in any TV show or Film of your choice which one would you pick???? 

xD My nose.

Forget that, just the first thing that came to my mind.

Answering the question it would be a 5-minute slot on the Starship Enterprise with Picard & Data  

3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Forget that, just the first thing that came to my mind.

Answering the question it would be a 5-minute slot on the Starship Enterprise with Picard & Data  

Too late now... I just wish I could remove my eyes and wash them clean then put them back in like nothings happened.... 

Posted (edited)

Great question!

I'd be in Shaun of the Dead fighting the zombies or Hot Fuzz stumbling around as a police officer.

• Upvote 1

Good q, tough choice! So many to choose from.

I watched Snatch the other day so I'd happily have my 5 minutes of fame in the boxing ring as 'Mickey' and get absolutely floored in that slow-motion shot of his last fight. 

And shout one last 'DO YOU LIKE DAGS' as I fall xD 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Stan said:

Good q, tough choice! So many to choose from.

I watched Snatch the other day so I'd happily have my 5 minutes of fame in the boxing ring as 'Mickey' and get absolutely floored in that slow-motion shot of his last fight. 

And shout one last 'DO YOU LIKE DAGS' as I fall xD 

Ill fight ya for a caravan? god i love that movie.

Id have to go with John Wick. I could add some commentary to lighten the mood when his puppy is killed, some background boo's and "ya dun fucked up now boyyys" mostly I just want to hug Keanu Reaves. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Ill fight ya for a caravan? god i love that movie.

I fucking hate pikeys!

It's such a good movie. You don't even have to pay that much attention. Just watch and enjoy!

On this show, in this zone, give me an opportunity to be in one of the rooms to solve at least one task.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNFke-5s4WrSC47R6hPGA

• Upvote 1

Name at least three big changes that you see in post covid-19 world.