• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tekken

football forum

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

The last one I played was the most recent one. Played it for maybe a few weeks then it kind of disappeared with more games that showed up.

Who are you playing as @Spike ?

Xiaoyu at the moment. I am trying to get to grips with stance based characters. Insanely in depth game, one can’t just go online and expected to win with brute force.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Spike said:

Xiaoyu at the moment. I am trying to get to grips with stance based characters. Insanely in depth game, one can’t just go online and expected to win with brute force.

It really is quite deep. You have to understand spacing, timing, how the frames work with characters on the opening of their hits, how the frames leave spaces open, how to make sure that when the opponent tries to push you into defensive mode that they too have faults. I liked it when I played it.

The thing that always gets me about this game is side-stepping and using it to confuse the opponent into using a move that leaves them open for a counter and while it seems like something that the basics kind of cover the amount of variations to actually create more openings are endless.

Tekken's always been one of the harder fighting games, imo. I do better with the simpler stuff like Killer Instict, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat (which I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with).

I think Tekken's the coolest to watch other people play, but I'm fucking abysmal at it. Terrible defense from me.

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

It really is quite deep. You have to understand spacing, timing, how the frames work with characters on the opening of their hits, how the frames leave spaces open, how to make sure that when the opponent tries to push you into defensive mode that they too have faults. I liked it when I played it.

The thing that always gets me about this game is side-stepping and using it to confuse the opponent into using a move that leaves them open for a counter and while it seems like something that the basics kind of cover the amount of variations to actually create more openings are endless.

It can be frustrating as well, one mistake can lead to a juggling combo that takes 50% of the health bar. Then the plethora of tricks and tidbits, like backdashing, wavedashing, punishing, wall combos, crush, stances, high/mid/low, ground combos, etc. I've been trying to incorporate okizeme into my arsenal with Xiaoyu but it is difficult sometimes because she needs to be in Art of Phoenix stance d1+2 to perform her f4 sweep.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tekken's always been one of the harder fighting games, imo. I do better with the simpler stuff like Killer Instict, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat (which I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with).

I think Tekken's the coolest to watch other people play, but I'm fucking abysmal at it. Terrible defense from me.

I find it a lot easier to play than Street Fighter. I have huge issues with the input with Street Fighter. The game feels so slow but the input must be lightning fast. With Tekken, I feel if you can get a basic understanding of what each basic attack for a character does, you can create your own combos, maybe not the best but they'll be effective enough.

003. STREET FIGHTER 4 - AKUMA - SPECIAL MOVES - STREET FIGHTER 4 ...

• Subscriber
41 minutes ago, Spike said:

It can be frustrating as well, one mistake can lead to a juggling combo that takes 50% of the health bar. Then the plethora of tricks and tidbits, like backdashing, wavedashing, punishing, wall combos, crush, stances, high/mid/low, ground combos, etc. I've been trying to incorporate okizeme into my arsenal with Xiaoyu but it is difficult sometimes because she needs to be in Art of Phoenix stance d1+2 to perform her f4 sweep.

I find it a lot easier to play than Street Fighter. I have huge issues with the input with Street Fighter. The game feels so slow but the input must be lightning fast. With Tekken, I feel if you can get a basic understanding of what each basic attack for a character does, you can create your own combos, maybe not the best but they'll be effective enough.

003. STREET FIGHTER 4 - AKUMA - SPECIAL MOVES - STREET FIGHTER 4 ...

One of the things that totally frustrated me about Tekken was the input lag sometimes but on the whole I played more offensive characters like Jin. With stance changes I find that its more about breaking that barrier in my mind about building technique and muscle memory around things I should do in a situation vs thinking about how to use them in a situation. If I find myself trying to play chess with the opponent I know it could easily turn against me vs knowing that combo X requires a stance change to offer me a 70% chance to prep for an offensive or defensive retort.

I also prefer SF over Tekken because 3D is truly a PITA for me to even try and keep up with and thats what originally stopped me from playing Tekken but interesting made me pick up Soul Calibur games more. 

7 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

One of the things that totally frustrated me about Tekken was the input lag sometimes but on the whole I played more offensive characters like Jin. With stance changes I find that its more about breaking that barrier in my mind about building technique and muscle memory around things I should do in a situation vs thinking about how to use them in a situation. If I find myself trying to play chess with the opponent I know it could easily turn against me vs knowing that combo X requires a stance change to offer me a 70% chance to prep for an offensive or defensive retort.

I also prefer SF over Tekken because 3D is truly a PITA for me to even try and keep up with and thats what originally stopped me from playing Tekken but interesting made me pick up Soul Calibur games more. 

The input lag is killer especially in training mode with the input display on. Sometimes I find myself perfomring combos but in a very sloppy method for instance Xiaoyu's 3214 while rising is a basic combo but I feel like I have to smash 4 repeatedly for it register, resulgint in a very sloppy combo that reads more like 3214444. I also need to buy a fight stick

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

The input lag is killer especially in training mode with the input display on. Sometimes I find myself perfomring combos but in a very sloppy method for instance Xiaoyu's 3214 while rising is a basic combo but I feel like I have to smash 4 repeatedly for it register, resulgint in a very sloppy combo that reads more like 3214444. I also need to buy a fight stick

While this helps for some people I found that initially the learning curve was a bit of a challenge but once you get used to it playing on a controller will be harder.

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

While this helps for some people I found that initially the learning curve was a bit of a challenge but once you get used to it playing on a controller will be harder.

I've used them a few times, while you are right it does take a while to get used to them, they are much more elegant on the hands for this sort of game. I think they make input more precise, I cannot count the amount of times a controller can't register the difference between back down, down, and back.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

I've used them a few times, while you are right it does take a while to get used to them, they are much more elegant on the hands for this sort of game. I think they make input more precise, I cannot count the amount of times a controller can't register the difference between back down, down, and back.

I agree and i especially like Sanwa as a button manufacturer for this very reason. Their buttons have a little tactile bump like mechanical keys on a keyboard. This gives your brain that little notice that something is pressed and then its just a matter of improving timing.

3 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I agree and i especially like Sanwa as a button manufacturer for this very reason. Their buttons have a little tactile bump like mechanical keys on a keyboard. This gives your brain that little notice that something is pressed and then its just a matter of improving timing.

Sanwa just manufacture hardware for other companies right? I was thinking of getting a stick that is compatible across platforms, I think being able to use it crossgeneration and platform is necessary these days. Do you have any suggestions?

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Spike said:

Sanwa just manufacture hardware for other companies right? I was thinking of getting a stick that is compatible across platforms, I think being able to use it crossgeneration and platform is necessary these days. Do you have any suggestions?

Yes Sanwa make buttons and joysticks only. I have a HORI Real Arcade Pro and the only reason I have it is that the other controllers seemed smaller so they tended to slip and that just ruined the experience. 

I think there might be only two companies who do PC/PS4/Xbox and one is Hori while the other is Mayflash but the Mayflash has some downsides to the joystick (which you can replace). I replaced the buttons on my arcade stick with Sanwa ones with some of them as concave while the others were bumps just because I was used to that kind of config.

This is what I own but the buttons are different.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived